Need New String Trimmer Soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had a Husqvarna 223L for about 6 years.. probably put 500 or so hours on it. Been a fantastic trimmer but i just noticed the other day that the plug that holds the grease in the head has fallen out..and the bearings in the head are rattling so it wont be long before the head locks up on me. I dont think it will be worth fixing so i would like to start looking for a replacement.

I noticed that this model is no longer sold at the dealers or Lowes.

Requirements- Straight Shaft, Lightweight, 300hr epa rating, Under $250.

Stihl, Husqvarna or Echo only please-- no exotics.

The websites dont seem to list whether the engines are 50 or 300 hr that i can find.

Get a two stroke gas, brand doesn't really matter. I have an Echo. Forgot to drain the gas last year and it still fired right up. Using E10, too.

I had a Craftsman 2-stroke that my cousin now uses. I did literally zero maintenance to it over ten years. I might've changed the plug once.

Krismoriah72
I've had a lot of luck with Echo. I've got the PAS-225 Split Boom Trimmer with Edger attachment. I also have a hedge attachment as well. The 1st head unit lasted 11 yrs. The current head unit is on yr 6. If you only want a straight shaft trimmer, the SRM-230 is a good option for sub $300.

You put 500 hours on a string trimmer?! Impressive! you should be giving us advice!!!
I have a Tanaka (I got it through work) and its a good unit. I would highly recommend Echo or Stihl. most of my smaller OPE is Echo and it takes my abuse without hesitation. (I never prep these things for storage; or even remember to drain the tank).

Tanaka trimmer my favorite trimmer I have owned would grab it over a Stihl any day.

Originally Posted By: tomcat27
You put 500 hours on a string trimmer?! Impressive! you should be giving us advice!!!
I have a Tanaka (I got it through work) and its a good unit. I would highly recommend Echo or Stihl. most of my smaller OPE is Echo and it takes my abuse without hesitation. (I never prep these things for storage; or even remember to drain the tank).

+1 I'd get the same one. I doubt many get to 500 hrs without a major problem.

My Echo is about 12-14 years old. Only parts replaced is 1 plug, fuel line, and the primer button.

In just over 15 years with my Echo I've replaced the carb and maintenance items. It starts on the first or second pull and runs great.

It took a bit of practice but I've got loading the string down pat, now.

You answered the question as to what brands your limiting yourself to. I bought a Stihl long- curved trimmer last year.
My brother bought a Japanese made exotic, a Maruyama. It has a 300 hour rating, Walbro carb, solid polished threaded drive shaft, diecast
aluminum clutch housing, 4 bearing supported gear case, bronze bushing supported inner shaft, chromoly helical cut gears,
hard chrome plated cylinder, stainless steel muffler, forged chromoly connecting rod... . Makes everything else look like cheap junk.

http://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

Echo or Stihl. Both are on sale now. My Echo is 15 years old and starts and runs like new.

I found a guy locally on craigs that has 3 of them for parts..so going to see if he has a head later on..

I have a large farm that during the season from spring to fall it gets used and abused alot. I also took it to work many times and mowed around my shop and let my employees borrow it for weekends.

I just changed the plug for the first time this year and it didnt look bad at all..just felt like doing it.

Starts on the first or second pull every time and seems to have not lost any power.

I mix Echo blend, Red Armor or Husqvarna LS at 32:1..everybody says thats too rich for the synthetics but I do it anyways.

Im still looking for another one though...if i get this one fixed i will put it on light duty.

I hear you guys on the Echo...but i thought that they were all commercial grade until recently? I know i looked at a 225 a couple of years ago at Home Depot and it was a 300hr engine...last year i saw they switched to the 50hr engine..?

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
You answered the question as to what brands your limiting yourself to. I bought a Stihl long- curved trimmer last year.
My brother bought a Japanese made exotic, a Maruyama. It has a 300 hour rating, Walbro carb, solid polished threaded drive shaft, diecast
aluminum clutch housing, 4 bearing supported gear case, bronze bushing supported inner shaft, chromoly helical cut gears,
hard chrome plated cylinder, stainless steel muffler, forged chromoly connecting rod... . Makes everything else look like cheap junk.

http://maruyama-us.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/2016_MARU._OPE_Brochure_1-40Pgs_10.30.15_LO.pdf

The dealer that sells these locally...i dont like. No offense to the trimmer it looks like a beast. I thought i read somewhere where kawasaki makes these motors?

If you can get this one online for $250 this dealer will want $350.

Echo and Shindaiwa are two sides of the same coin and they are both excellent. Heard great things about Maruyama but very little dealer presence around me. I have never had any problems with my Stihl stuff and the dealer is convenient. I sold my 17yr old FS55R to a buddy in perfect working order.

You can not go wrong with any of the quality brands. Buy what you like that is comfortable for you to use. Sounds like you had a good experience with that Husky... Why not buy another?

The ones made 15 yrs ago are not the same today. Most companies as with almost everything made today is a race to the bottom. I had an Echo for almost 10 years. did ok. Just bought a Stihl and boy what a difference! And its made in USA!!! If ya look around at the yard maintenance companies they almost all use Stihl equipment.

I've never owned a Husky or Echo. But I have been very pleased with my Stihl 2 cycle FS55. I've had it for 12 years now. I did have to replace the carburetor last year. But I suspect that is partly my fault, as I have been using 10% ethanol gas in it. Since then I now use ethanol free gas in my 2 cycle tools. Time will tell if this pays off. I've never had any other repair other than new trimmer heads.

It typically starts pretty easy, often on only the 2nd pull. And it has plenty of power. My only complaint is Stihl string. It's pretty average. I've had better success with aftermarket string.

Stihl has replaced the FS55 with the FS56 models.

According to their websites.. for my $200 or so budget.

Echo SRM-225- 21.2CC engine- weight 12lbs. $199 Home Depot

Stihl FS56-RCE 27.2CC engine- weight 10.6lbs. $219 Rural King

Husqvarna 128L 28CC engine- weight 10.6lbs. $199 Lowes.

I looked up my old 223L which is still listed on the website (maybe i can find it at a dealer but not at Lowes)..

Husqvarna 223L 24.2CC engine - weight 9.04lbs $199 was the price i remember paying for it and i had a moving coupon from the post office for Lowes I think...not sure if it was $25 or what.

So by the stats- Echo seems heavy for the small engine, stihl and husky are on par with each other and I gotta pay $10 for the Stihl name.. The husky would be a no brainer if i could find a moving coupon or something.

Im guessing all of these are 50hr engines not 300hr?

I have the Husqvarna and it has been nice for the price.

You can buy a lowes coupon on ebay for like 25 cents or 99 cents, and they will email you a PDF in 5 minutes.

Thats what I have started doing. Home depot takes lowes coupons also so you can print it twice to use it at both stores.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back