Need new front struts?

2006 Altima. The ride is terrible. Like it’s riding the rims. Every little crack in the road feels like a huge pothole. I’m driving the old Malibu classic it’s so bad. When you go over a bump it’s starting to rattle. Nothing moves in a shake test. There is no bounce If I push down on it. Everything on the front end has been replaced in the past 1.5 years except for the steering rack. The cheapest part being the struts. Chinese Detroit axle. So I’m assuming they are bad. I want to replace With something that will last A few years and give a softer ride. Any suggestions would be helpful thanks.

This is one brand I was thinking about

Attachments

• A7BCB675-2E73-4C69-8FEC-AB13B10456DB.jpeg
    A7BCB675-2E73-4C69-8FEC-AB13B10456DB.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 38
If it doesn't bounce like it's riding on springs w/ no shocks, it may not be the struts at all.

I know you said everything has been replaced up front, but what about all the subframe bushings, sway bar end links, engine mounts, etc.

I was (repeat WAS) a fan of Sachs.. But when I recently ordered some up they were already defective! When attempting to push the center piston down and it just stayed there!! Eventually it SLOWLY came back up, but that's not how new shocks are supposed to act. I think Sachs is in trouble, lots of people are saying they're reboxing other aftermarket parts in their boxes. I wouldn't bother with that company, seriously.. I wouldn't..

The Sachs that I do have were installed back in 15. But they've developed a very, very hard ride, similar to what you're going through now. It's why I want to replace them. The Civic has always been a firm-riding car but going over a TAR seam (uneven) feels like you ripped the suspension off! lol.. it's ridiculous.. and yes to the others reading this, the bushings have been replaced with oem rubber on the control arms. Actually, the control arms have all been replaced.

Now if you can afford it, look into Bilstein's B6 oem replacement shocks. smooth ride, firm handling. It's what I ended up buying. And no, the Bilsteins are not hard riding or harsh.

What kind of strut did you put in 1.5 years ago?
Was it better when it was new 1.5 years ago?
Detroit axle complete strut. But that spring was ridiculously tall so I went back to the old spring on the new strut and hardware. It was pretty good at first. And it progressively got stiffer and stiffer and stiffer. I would think it would get softer

It was pretty good at first. And it progressively got stiffer and stiffer and stiffer. I would think it would get softer
Wonder if it's possible for those things to be so poorly made they actually failed internally somehow, locking them up? Only way to tell would be to remove them and see, and at that point you'd be crazy to not replace them outright with something else.

Wonder if it's possible for those things to be so poorly made they actually failed internally somehow, locking them up? Only way to tell would be to remove them and see, and at that point you'd be crazy to not replace them outright with something else.
That's what I believe happened to my 7 year old Sachs that's in my civic. Funny you mention the same thing I've been thinking.. that they just lock up, don't absorb bumps and act more like a rod instead of a shock absorber..

Detroit axle complete strut. But that spring was ridiculously tall so I went back to the old spring on the new strut and hardware. It was pretty good at first. And it progressively got stiffer and stiffer and stiffer. I would think it would get softer
As others said replace the spring. I do that all the time, they don't seem to last as long as you think. Is the height of the car normal? I've had springs that look fine one year and then sagged the next year. When I replaced them, I put them side by side and they looked exactly the same. It' s just that once it has a load on it, they sag. The sag means that you have less travel room for your strut to dampen the ride. New springs are usually extra tall initially but settle down after a couple weeks.

As others said replace the spring. I do that all the time, they don't seem to last as long as you think. Is the height of the car normal? I've had springs that look fine one year and then sagged the next year. When I replaced them, I put them side by side and they looked exactly the same. It' s just that once it has a load on it, they sag. The sag means that you have less travel room for your strut to dampen the ride. New springs are usually extra tall initially but settle down after a couple weeks.
If I try to push down on the hood or bumper and make it bounce it won’t budge. This generation Altima 2.5S has a factory cali squat. IMO Way too high in the front like the springs are just too stiff. When I use a complete strut the squat gets worse. I’m guessing they build aftermarket struts for both the 3.5 and 2.5 engines. Just looking at the springs For both engines there are less coils for the 2.5. Lighter engine. I can try it again Just wish I knew one that would fit correctly I may try the Mando off rock auto.

Look at the tread depth. Need rotated? When every vibration is transmitted into the car I look to the tires first.
Continentals have letters built into the tread To monitor tread death. All three letters are still visible. So there is basically no wear yet.

Sounds like they siezed up. if you can swap springs then i wonder if dissambling is on order. Maybe Duralast struts are cheap enough for short term until what you want comes in the mail? swap springs over so as to go as cheap as possible.

Back