Need new boots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work in a hospital. So for a while I have been using EMT style boots.

I currently have a pair of Magnum Tactical Elite's that are comfy but junk in the quality dept. My old Magnums made it about 6 years before suffering significant structural failure. These $200 boots went 18 months and split wide open at a flexing spot. Not impressed. They're out of warranty, so Magnum isn't helping me out here. Not impressed and now taking my business elsewhere.

So, for the first time since about 2000 I need a pair of boots and they won't be Magnums.

I need:
-Black leather
-Waterproof
-Prefer sidezip
-Comfortable enough for 12-24 hour shifts.
-Prefer blood borne pathogen resistant (like my Elites).

This is not an expected purchase and I just shelled out my auto insurance deductible after my rear bumper got rearranged in rush hour traffic, so my budget is not what it would normally be, as the Magnums were $200 when I got them. The closer to $100 the better.

Help?

I just went with a pair of Bates Delta. $95 bux on Amazon. According to the tracking info they are due to arrive today. Had a pair of Rocky 1st med front zip. Nice boot but they don't fit me well. If your a size 12 I'll give em to you. Worn 3 days on patrol and no more!

I got a pair of Danner 10" boots about 10 years ago on sale for $199. They last forever and are comfortable, their only drawback is they are heavy and after a long day it really wears on you. I also have a pair of Converse Rapid Response side zips that I love. They are less than $100 are light and feel like tennis shoes.

Whatever boots you buy, I’d recommend also buying a pair of sorbothane insoles. I know for a fact that they absorb shock and well worth it. I climbed Mt. Whitney twice in 1 year. First time I went without the insoles and 2nd time with and man, what a difference! Feel and knees did not ache and I felt quite good the next day (Whitney in 1 day is only for people in shape and it is brutal to your body). The insoles are expensive and well worth it. I work as a Park Ranger and decided to save some money and not buy another pair. After 3 months of increasing foot and knee pain, I went back to them and will stay with them. Trying to save a buck sometimes ends up cost more than just forking out the extra money the first time.

http://www.sorbothane.com/

Not sure where in IL you are, but I'd recommend heading to a real shoe store, and trying on whatever they have that fits your needs, versus making a brand recommendation, as everyone has different needs. I have ordered several pairs of shoes online, and have had to return most of them. I only order shoes online when I know how the brand fits my foot.

Originally Posted By: HollowEyes
Bummer, I'm a 13 in most things.

Hope you can Craigslist them or something.

Your making me laugh Bro!! I'm a 13 also. The Bates 13 fit me great. Really PITA to buy size 13 isnt it??? Stock is slim to say the least!

Originally Posted By: BISCUT

Your making me laugh Bro!! I'm a 13 also. The Bates 13 fit me great. Really PITA to buy size 13 isnt it??? Stock is slim to say the least!

I know the feeling...I'm a Size 13 or 14 dependent upon the manufacturer but my feet are narrow. Some 13's feel like 10's on my feet and others feel like I'm swimming side to side. Forget about finding 14's, I quit trying, although I did come across a Converse BB shoe in size 20 once...that was huge!

Originally Posted By: InhalingBullets
Originally Posted By: BISCUT

I know the feeling...I'm a Size 13 or 14 dependent upon the manufacturer but my feet are narrow. Some 13's feel like 10's on my feet and others feel like I'm swimming side to side. Forget about finding 14's, I quit trying, although I did come across a Converse BB shoe in size 20 once...that was huge!

Hard enough with 13's!! He LL no on the 14's!! I'm ok width wise in about 1/2 of shoes and the other 1/2 are 2 darn narrow!! Finding well fititng shoes is no fun!

Bumping this back up.

I ended up with a pair of Thorogood boots (much like so: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002QQ8...d=ATVPDKIKX0DER) and they have been great.

Until today, when the seam where the boot meets the sole gave out right at left toes. Less than a year and I'm looking again.

I'm starting to think there are not such a thing as daily wear boots that last more than a yearish for under $250 dollars. Not a happy camper again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back