Need my engine to warm up faster

Status
Not open for further replies.
I suggest that you run your Air Conditioner for a few minutes when you first start your car. Besides lubricating the seals, it causes warmer air to flow through your radiator, allowing your engine to warm up quicker. It also puts a heavier load on the engine, making it put out more heat.

I've heard this many times over the years, but personally I've never tried it to see if it works. Theoretically, it should work but it would make the air in the cabin even colder until you turn the A/C off.

slalom44 has a good point with the AC. It does increase the load on an engine, so the engine will warm up faster. On most modern cars, the AC compressor comes on automatically with the windshield defroster so it is blowing dehumidified air on the glass. This is regadless of what temp the AC/heater controls are at. So you could just turn the defroster on, with the temp slightly off the coldest setting at first. That's what I do, and my '97 Maxima warms up pretty quick in the winter. But then again, I'm in Louisiana. I actually had to run the AC this month to cool my interior.....

Dave

I also heard (if you have an auto tranny) if you place your tranny in neutral and set your E brake. it will warm your vehicle up quicker. jsut what I heard. true or not I dont know. never tried it.

Sorry PFP, I missed your post. I'm not sure how the block heater works at -18C or lower. I noticed on the actual cord, there's a little metalic sticker on it that mentions it. As far as I know, it's OEM. But I'm the second owner so it's possible it was installed by someone other than GM.

SOme of it depends on the efficiency of your engine... Remember, if youre lucky, 25% of the energy content of the fuel gets transferred to the wheels... So at a full cold start, youre at 20% if lucky.

Problem is that a lot of the extra heat has to warm the air ingested... Maybe 50% of the heat wasted in the engine goes to the coolant... its a relatively simple calculation from there.

I agree about using the AC (if you can get it to cycle in the cold). We use AC year round, and have original charges in cars that are well over 10 years old... never been serviced, and blowing cold.

JMH

Dark jedi, I have never heard that, but I was thinking about it, and it SHOULD also warm up the tranny too, because the fluid is also flowing through it too.

For what it's worth, most ACs do not kick on the compressor unless the ambient is 40 to 50 degrees F. I did use my recirculate button in the bitter cold so it would draw cabin air and not outside air, helped some.
Also, the many 3800 GM engines I know and have owned have heated up noticably faster than other cars I have driven. If the GP was mine, I would take it to the dealer and compare with some on the lot.

In my Corvette, if I've got the front window defroster on, the AC compressor won't kick in unless the outside temperature is about 40F or higher.

I always thought the AC went on with the defrost setting because the AC air is alot drier and removes moisture from the windshield, helping it not to fog up? All vehicles I've seen that have this option turn the AC on no matter how cold it is. The recirc usually leads to massive window fogging around here.
Anyways, this morning I swapped out the old thermostat for a new one and went for a little test drive to see if thing improved. It was -20C overnight, and maybe -15C when I left. I also turned the fan on the lowest setting and turned on the AC. (AC doesn't go on unless the fans blowing) The car defininitly warmed up quicker. (Almost as fast as the Jeep).
I think the AC helped improve things, as the old thermostat was in the closed position when I removed it. I think they fail in the open position? Thanks for all the help and opinions.

When cold the AC will not make air drier. On most cars the AC-compressor shuts of when temperature is below 4C (39F).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back