Need light portable air compressor to run framing gun

I have a belt driven stationary compressor, a PC large bulky portable air compressor on wheels to run an air chisel, but I'd like to get a lightweight portable air compressor that I can carry to run a framing gun on occasion. I am not a contractor, I do Handyman work on the side so it's a variety of small jobs. Because I won't use it very often I want to keep the cost down. I'm thinking HF Fortress but don't want to waste my money. I need help with specifications. I'm not sure hp, psi, scfm @ psi, and gallons that I'll need to run ONE framing gun. I have a job coming up to frame in and close a not needed basement door opening.

I have this one. 35lbs.

ridgid-portable-air-compressors-of60150hb-c3_145.jpg

I have a belt driven stationary compressor, a PC large bulky portable air compressor on wheels to run an air chisel, but I'd like to get a lightweight portable air compressor that I can carry to run a framing gun on occasion. I am not a contractor, I do Handyman work on the side so it's a variety of small jobs. Because I won't use it very often I want to keep the cost down. I'm thinking HF Fortress but don't want to waste my money. I need help with specifications. I'm not sure hp, psi, scfm @ psi, and gallons that I'll need to run ONE framing gun. I have a job coming up to frame in and close a not needed basement door opening.

The Makita MAC700 will get the job done for you and last for many years. This delivers about 3 CFM and your framing gun requires around 2.0-3.0 depending on the size. this one is oil lubricated not oil less which tend to run out of steam as they age a little bit.

If you're not going to "bounce nail" (rapid repeating nailing)- most any compressor will do- the air hose acts a a small tank- I have run a 16d framing gun off a tankless.

I have a HF Fortress, great little compressor. Light and Very quiet, I'll repeat that, by far the quietest I've ever used. You can use it in the house and not scare the cat.

I've had mine for about 3 years, no issues at all.

They make several sizes, even the smallest will be enough unless you plan on a rapid fire framing fob.

I'd buy one again in a minute.

I almost hate to say this but I have had good luck with the Craftsman Pancake compressor from Lowes. Its a 150 psi unit and only costs $99. I bought it mostly because I needed an oilless unit to blow out the water pipes on the RV and like you to run tools away from the big unit. It works great for nailers and impact driver and recovers quickly when you pause use on higher consumers like die grinders and orbital sanders. You just have to remember to oil your tools a bit more frequently.

I've got a 3 gallon pancake compressor that I bought at HF several years for $40. It's main use is airing up tires but, if you're not going to be shooting lots of nails in a fast fashion it will work. When I built a front deck on my sons house I used it to run my framing nailer instead of having to move my larger compressor. If you're going to be shooting lots of nails pretty fast you'd probably run out of air but, slow to moderate use I think you'd be fine. I think HF still runs them on sale pretty often for somewhere around $40. I doubt one of these would work for my neighbor who nails the ---- out of everything and sometimes fires 10-12 nails in 15 seconds, but otherwise I think it would serve the purpose.

Last edited:
The Makita MAC700 will get the job done for you and last for many years. This delivers about 3 CFM and your framing gun requires around 2.0-3.0 depending on the size. this one is oil lubricated not oil less which tend to run out of steam as they age a little bit.

I agree on the Makita. I have the two tank version, which is heavy, but a smaller one would be fine for most things short of a framing nailer under heavy use.

Looks like a workhorse , Thanks for sharing the link

I'm considering the Makita MAC700, Emglo EM810-4, and the Rolair FC1500HS3. All are oiled compressors in the lower $200s to mid $250s.

Thoughts on these?

Harbor Freight Fortress line does not have an oiled compressor in a portable but they have a Black Friday special 2hp 135psi 2.2cfm @ 90psi for $120, discounted $40 from regular. Very tempting especially considering I'm 68 and how long will I be doing this.

Not to hijack the thread but this may be helpful to the OP regardless of what he buys. I use Prevost and Milton couplers, both are Milton V (aka Euro fitting) compatible but are different in the way they work.
The Prevost is a great fitting but still requires some pressure to connect it, it will not loosen in use and when the button is pushed it instantly releases the tool. The ones with the green button are high flow "V" compatible.

The Milton is a better working fitting, it shuts the air off before the tool so no pressure is needed to connect and it also immediately releases the tool. The drawback to this one is as they age high vibration tools like impacts and air hammers tend to work it loose and shut the air off.
They are perfect for nailers, spray guns, air guns, cutoff wheels and any other non impact tool.

I really like the Milton and with a whip hose would be a perfect fitting for everything, it can use industrial and other types of fittings also not just the V, the Prevost cannot, V only. I like not having to fight the hose pressure with a ball/flex fitting on the tools. The Prevost is also good, it requires less pressure than the normal Milton V and heavy duty, better suited to impact tools used in an everyday environment.
Last but not least COO the Milton is made in China but appears to be good quality, the Prevost is made in France and very well made.

This is the best price I have found on the Prevost, I bought a bunch of them for this price and they are legit.

Either will use these.

I'm considering the Makita MAC700, Emglo EM810-4, and the Rolair FC1500HS3. All are oiled compressors in the lower $200s to mid $250s.

Thoughts on these?

Harbor Freight Fortress line does not have an oiled compressor in a portable but they have a Black Friday special 2hp 135psi 2.2cfm @ 90psi for $120, discounted $40 from regular. Very tempting especially considering I'm 68 and how long will I be doing this.
Honestly I like the Makita but I think i agree that Fortress is highly recommended and would give it a shot. I also like the specs of the Fortress 6 gallon pancake with a 175psi max tank pressure cut in is 145psi cut out at 175psi. 3cfm at 90psi no way on earth as a DIY guy running a few nails it would not ever keep up. For the money I would give it a shot.

If I remember right, Lowes used to sell or rent a system that consisted of a C02 tank that you exchanged as needed. It was very compact and perfect for nail guns. Haven't been in a Lowes in a while so not sure if it still exists.

Honestly I like the Makita but I think i agree that Fortress is highly recommended and would give it a shot. I also like the specs of the Fortress 6 gallon pancake with a 175psi max tank pressure cut in is 145psi cut out at 175psi. 3cfm at 90psi no way on earth as a DIY guy running a few nails it would not ever keep up. For the money I would give it a shot.

Don't get caught up in the mistaken argument that more psi is better. The Makita wins, no contest.

How important is weight for you? How much will you have to lug it around. For nailing, a big heavy compressor is overkill.

The oiled makita is a quality unit no doubt, its also 60lbs. This oiless makita is 29lbs. The HD one i have is 35lbs How much will you use it, and have to lift it around?
Go pick some up and walk with them. Decide if you want to save your back with an oiless unit.
If you are a contractor, you need the service life of the oiled units.
The smaller units will run a single nail gun just fine.

Last edited:
Don't get caught up in the mistaken argument that more psi is better. The Makita wins, no contest.
I am the last guy to rate a compressor on a psi rating CFM was listed also 3cfm at 90psi. In this case and its intended use DIY just to drive a few nails with a framing nailer it's up to the task and deliver air for the task. PSI rating was give as it will give extra tank storage capacity before its running directly on the pump it never will in this application..

1 I like the Makita for day in and day out use on job site for this application is it really needed???
2 the Fortress comes in at 20lbs lighter could be nice for older gentlemen lugging around.
3 Fortress matches db rating and claimed CFM are very close 3cfm for Fortress and 3.3cfm for the Makita both rated at 90psi.
4 Fortress I would bet is about 100 dollars cheaper.
5 it's not my decision its only a option and one that will do the task without any effort I am not recommending this for any other task as non were given.

I'm definitely not! Storage gallons, cfm, & scfm @ 90psi are more important depending on the application and with this application, framing gun, the requirements are substantially lower than painting or using air tools.

How important is weight for you? How much will you have to lug it around. For nailing, a big heavy compressor is overkill.

The oiled makita is a quality unit no doubt, its also 60lbs. This oiless makita is 29lbs. The HD one i have is 35lbs How much will you use it, and have to lift it around?
Go pick some up and walk with them. Decide if you want to save your back with an oiless unit.
If you are a contractor, you need the service life of the oiled units.
The smaller units will run a single nail gun just fine.
Great idea to visit Home Depot or HF and carry the floor models around.

I have at home a belt driven stationary horizontal tank but on wheels, a PC 2 tank 6scfm @ 90psi on wheels if I need to use air tools.

I'm not a contractor nor a young f.t. Handyman, I'm a 68 yr old part time Handyman that just retired from a white collar job whose father was a builder so I grew up in the business that gets involved with power washing plumbing electrical tiling painting carpentry, framing the occasional door, putting together ikea furniture, mouldings, wains coating, chair rails, hanging mirrors but I've done installing in wall med cabinet, bathroom vanity, I've done kitchen cabinets but it takes so long for me, so there is a need for a very portable unit. I've "towed" my PC, borrowed a friend's very light oilless Craftsman, that's what got me thinking along with the heavy PC.

I am the last guy to rate a compressor on a psi rating CFM was listed also 3cfm at 90psi. In this case and its intended use DIY just to drive a few nails with a framing nailer it's up to the task and deliver air for the task. PSI rating was give as it will give extra tank storage capacity before its running directly on the pump it never will in this application..

1 I like the Makita for day in and day out use on job site for this application is it really needed???
2 the Fortress comes in at 20lbs lighter could be nice for older gentlemen lugging around.
3 Fortress matches db rating and claimed CFM are very close 3cfm for Fortress and 3.3cfm for the Makita both rated at 90psi.
4 Fortress I would bet is about 100 dollars cheaper.
5 it's not my decision its only a option and one that will do the task without any effort I am not recommending this for any other task as non were given.

I've always felt spend a few dollars more and have less problems and more satisfaction performance. Husky Kobalt quality is fine with me, some HF is fine not their hand tools other than their new Icon line. I want stuff to last that's why the hesitancy with HF oilless ($130) and the leaning towards oiled Makita, Emglo, Rolair in $225-$275. Oiled lasts longer but do I need that? No. I'm just afraid oilless HF will die before I do. Using it day in and day out won't happen! It will sit for months at a time. Others using it won't happen! I just always so much feel more comfortable and secure with quality, definitely not an ego thing though, just longevity and performance.

I use my Fortress frequently, especially now with travel being reduced.

I work for a coatings company and have a large shop at home. I do a lot of product testing and make samples to be shipped around the country. So the compressor is used all the time.

I have a larger 220 v compressor that I've had for 30 plus years and beat the crap out of, it doesn't get used at all now, only the Fortress. If for no other reason than it's so quiet.

It's been through several years of this and work fine.

I've had another small compressor for about 15 years that works well enough, but its heavy and loud. It never gets used now, it sits there as a back up for the Fortress.

I'm older and the light weight of the Fortress is enough of a selling point alone, that's before factoring in how quiet and reliable it is.

Now priced for 129.00 from 159.00 for Black Friday sales at Harbor Freight hard to pass on now if I was only in the market.

I'm thinking of going this way.

I saw yesterday at HD - Porter Cable $100 down from $170, 6 gal, .8hp, 150psi, 2.6scfm@90psi, 30 lbs., 3 yr. Warranty, same at Lowe's but Craftsman.

Makita MAC700 $225, Emglo EM810 $175, both have a 1 yr. warranty and weigh about 55 lbs. Between the Emglo and the Makita, looking at the physical size of the Emglo I think I'd rather go with the Makita.

Now the Porter Cable is 25 lbs lighter, $125 less, 3 yr warranty, less scfm but I only need to run 1 framing gun which it will do. If I need scfm I have a twin tank Porter Cable, 150psi, 6scfm@90psi.

Back