Size tank for portable air compressor

I'm interested replacing my cheap oilless Campbell Hausfield because it's getting tired, taking a long time to build pressure and Loud! Besides the tank is small.

What size tank should I get for a DIY 1 man to run a framing gun to build a deck, shed,...

Pancakes such as Porter Cable, Bostitch, ....use a 6 gal. I borrowed a friend's and it was wonderful.

While others, Makita, Husky, have a 1 & 2 gallon tank.

I don't know how small I can go. I'm use to my 3hp belt driven compressor but don't like the hoses running through the doors, and if I leave the house to do a job, my small tired Campbell Hausfield isn't cutting it. I have to wait filling my tires! A few weeks ago I punched a few nails into a rectangle 2x6 frame for a garden and had to wait.

Even though I'm 70 yrs old, I'm thinking of spending more money and getting an oil compressor because of the longevity figuring less chance of early failure.

Is a 1 & 2 gallon tank too small where it will be coming on all the time?

For portability, what is the maximum weight abd ideal weight for a portable air compressor?

Reactions: JC1
I recently researched small air compressors.
Many of the pancake Porter Cable, Bostitch, Dewalt and Craftsman are assembled in the USA by Stanley Black & Decker with global materials. They typically weigh 30-35 pounds. They are not on the quiet side but they work fine for their intended purpose.

Have this 8 gal from Lowes in my garage, works great. ;)
1655084789230.jpg

I built a picket fence - about 150 feet linear , approx 2000 nails with a Bostich air nailer. I used my compressor with an 8 gallon tank connected to a 11 gallon aux tank. Worked pretty well!

I have a 12 gallon on the compressor itself. Then I connected another 8 gallon tank to the system when I set up my garage. This can be done easily and inexpensively. And you have the option to turn it on or off, as you require.

If I run any type of air tools I always open it to have more volume. The tools run more evenly and longer before I have to allow the system to rebuild pressure. I'm going to add another retractable hose reel to the opposite side of the garage, and I may incorporate another tank with it. Just to have even more volume.

My Paslode framing gun runs fine off of either of my 6 gallon pancake compressors (one is a 20 year old porter cable I've replaced the piston rings on and one is a newer craftsman)

I had one like @Malo83 but it was a CH brand. It was loud and irritating. Years ago I bought a larger 2 stage from Menard's and have enjoyed it ever since. Would it make sense to buy a 2 stage and get 100' of hose to do the deck and shed? The 2 stages are so much quieter...

If that doesn't work I would try to find the specs for your nail gun and buy accordingly. You don't want it running all the time. I would think a 5 to 8 gallon tank would work and not be too heavy if it had wheels and a handle.

just my $0.02

Back