need ideas for finding a front thumping noise

Status
Not open for further replies.
2002 toyota tundra, v8, 2wd, 150k miles.

the low thumping noise tracks wheel speed. starts around 15-20mph, loudest around 35mph, disappears when you get above 55mph. there is no vibration present. happens in drive or neutral. don't hear anything "extra" on bumps. turns do not make any difference.

it is a regular noise, then pause, then noise, like: dadadada pause dadadada pause, etc. as stated, as you go faster, the noise (dadadada) happens faster. seems to be coming from the front driver side, but lets just say somewhere up front.

the truck has brand new tires (all 4). also, brake pads are new and front struts are new as well. all these new parts are unrelated to the noise, ie, i changed them for other reasons, namely they needed to be replaced. the noise was present before and now after these changes. again, no vibration present.

any ideas?

2nd the tires. very uncommon for bearing issues on those trucks. If they are noisy, balancing them wont solve a thing. Run your hand over them. Do they feel "choppy"? if so, that is your issue.

EDIT: just saw you put new tires on. How new? Was the truck aligned when the tires were installed? If not, have your front end checked.

Last edited:
Ok Mike,,,we are going to build sort of a flow chart.First,,try moving your tires,,,front to back,,,side to side,,,see if the noise moves,,,the next thing I would try is moving your rotors,,,obviously,,the best time to do this,,,is when your are rotating the tires.I know this seems like a lot,,,but this is what we will do at my shop,,,it's just a matter,,,seeing if you can make the noise move.Like what somebody mentioned,,these trucks have been known to have wheel bearing issues,,just trying to see if we can isolate the noise before spending any money.It definately is a suspension problem because it comes and goes with speed.Oh,,and the rotors are side to side,,,I don't think you can move them to the back,,anyway,,,just try moving all the things that rotate.Now,,,if you still have the same issue after all of this,,,look around where you live,,and see if anyone has a set of "ears" you can borrow.If you're not familiar with these,,,it's a tool that has six to eight,,,clamp on sending units,,that you can clamp to different parts of the suspension to help you hear whats going on,,while you're driving,,,very easy to use and very helpful.I use them quite regularly to help pinpoint noises like what you have,,,good luck,,amd give me a shout if you find it.
Originally Posted By: mikeinaustin
2002 toyota tundra, v8, 2wd, 150k miles.

the low thumping noise tracks wheel speed. starts around 15-20mph, loudest around 35mph, disappears when you get above 55mph. there is no vibration present. happens in drive or neutral. don't hear anything "extra" on bumps. turns do not make any difference.

it is a regular noise, then pause, then noise, like: dadadada pause dadadada pause, etc. as stated, as you go faster, the noise (dadadada) happens faster. seems to be coming from the front driver side, but lets just say somewhere up front.

the truck has brand new tires (all 4). also, brake pads are new and front struts are new as well. all these new parts are unrelated to the noise, ie, i changed them for other reasons, namely they needed to be replaced. the noise was present before and now after these changes. again, no vibration present.

any ideas?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back