Need Help With Rental Home Lease

Its Northern California, some of the highest priced real estate in the country.

2500 dollars for a large house. If you get 4-5 guys in there, it cuts it to around 500 per head, and you are still making California salary..

I'd call it a decent deal, if you can put up with other people. Many can not..

Signed the lease on the house on Saturday after making a few more revisions to the lease.

I'll post up some pictures soon.

Bill was asking me about the rental house, so I figured that I give you folks an update as well.

The house turned out to be a disaster. The remodel was finished when we moved in on 6/15, but the landlord had not gotten the final inspection so the natural gas was not connected. Power was being supplied to the house by a high-voltage cable from another house on the property, which is clearly not acceptable as a semi-permanent solution.

There were also a number of other minor things wrong with the house. When I presented the list of issues to the landlord, he became fairly upset with my supposed "nitpicking" and basically kicked me out. He did give me back 100% of the money back, but having to find a new place within one week was no fun.

Due to the time crunch I did go after the landlord, but I really should have. After moving out of the house, I moved into a somewhat upscale apartment complex that my new workplace has done some collaboration with in the past. This apartment complex gave me a decent move-in incentive and accommodated me on a short schedule, so I am quite grateful for that.

Lesson learned? If it's too cheap and seems too good to be true, it probably is.

You can still do your civic duty and bust him. As I understand it cali code enforcement is real strict, you can't even replace your own light switches legally!

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You can still do your civic duty and bust him. As I understand it cali code enforcement is real strict, you can't even replace your own light switches legally!

Problem is, he may have fixed it by now. Not sure what I could bust him on if has not rented the house out again.

You could also call the electric company, they will know the guy didn't have a meter on that house the time you looked at it.

Originally Posted By: Cutehumor
what happened with your friends? they got kicked out too? weren't they upset?

Dropped 1 person, took the other 3 with me to the new apartment.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
You could also call the electric company, they will know the guy didn't have a meter on that house the time you looked at it.

The electric company may well have been the one who ran the temporary cable.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
There were also a number of other minor things wrong with the house. When I presented the list of issues to the landlord, he became fairly upset with my supposed "nitpicking" and basically kicked me out. He did give me back 100% of the money back, but having to find a new place within one week was no fun.

Lesson learned? If it's too cheap and seems too good to be true, it probably is.

The lesson learned is, if you're getting a place very cheap, do not nitpick over minor things

Originally Posted By: tonycarguy

The lesson learned is, if you're getting a place very cheap, do not nitpick over minor things

No hot water is a small thing?

Back