Need help with my champion 2000w generator

Is the linkage for the carburetor bound up? Also, if you took it apart, you unscrewed a screw to get to the plastic plug on top of the carb. When you put the plug back in and screw the screw in, it should only protrude about 1/16 of an inch out the other side. The screw ensures the machine has to run at a minimum level. If you screwed it all the way in, it will run like a banshee. I don't think it's a complicated enough machine to run hard searching for more juice. Has to be bound up linkage, screw too far in, or (just thought of this) the throttle plate is frozen in place. Make sure it moves freely. Sometimes gum builds up around it and 'freezes' it in place.

Last edited:
It won't put out power.
Exactly what @eljefino was getting at. So it's revving up the engine as expected trying to make power, but not making any. Sounds like an issue with the generator / inverter side of things, not the carbueator.

I think these work by both a mechanical governor and an electrical device that pulls the throttle down from max rpm when the electrical system determines that less than max rpm is needed for the load attached. The mechanical governor is set to run up to maximum but prevent over revving.

Last edited:
I took it in for warranty service after champion wanted to keep throwing parts at it in hopes that would fix it. I replaced the carb and the control panel (at their request and expense) and neither fixed the issue. The shop is telling me its a bad stator, which I thought it probably was after reading these posts. Just waiting on champion to figure out how they are going to proceed.

Bad stator makes sense. No voltage output, so the control board is telling the motor to rev faster.

Back