Need help with my champion 2000w generator

My champion 2000w inverter generator is not running properly. It starts fine in the choked position, but when I rotate the selector to run position, the rpm's run high to the point the engine is rattling out of control. If I put it back in the choke position, the rpms climb back down almost to idle. It won't put out power. Im assuming this is some sort of safety feature? The generator was last fired up in early spring. The fuel has been sitting in the carburetor and tank. I'm thinking I need to pull the carburetor and completely clean it out. What would you guys advise? It was running perfectly last camping trip. I need to figure it out soon as I'm going camping in a week. Thanks for all the help you guys always give.

Attachments

• 20201113_161129.jpg
    20201113_161129.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 79
Running right only with the choke on means it's starving for fuel. The carburetor is likely has a restriction due to fuel residue. You might able to just take the fuel bowl off the bottom of the carb and be able to clean the main jet without taking it all the way off. Sometimes the nut holding the bowl on is also the main jet. Sometimes it's in the shaft that the float bowl bolt screws into.

Like ripcord suggested, it sounds like plugged carb jets. I'd mail-order a new carb to put on it and try to clean and salvage the OEM.

I don't mind leaving some fuel in the tank on portable generators, but I like to close the fuel shut-off and run the engine until it won't run anymore.

Thanks for the replies. I'll try to clean the carb tomorrow and let you know what I find.

I run my generator every 2 months or so. I keep little fuel in it. Sometimes i have to add some to run it. That way the same fuel does not sit in it all year.

The fuel that is added, is treated with stabil and TCW-3 @ 640:1.

Last edited:
If there is a drain on the float bowl I would turn on the gas and remove the drain plug and flush out the old gas, drain a half cup through it. Then see if that allows the engine to start. If not them clean the carb.

Champion actually has a YouTube video on how to clean out the exact model carb I have. I always use the fuel cut off to starve the engine out to stop it so in theory I would never have any fuel related issues. They told me it doesn't remove all the fuel. Now they tell me! I always use Startron to treat my fuel as that is what I use in my boat. I tried dumping the old fuel and adding fresh mid grade to the tank that was treated with seafoam. It didn't change so it looks like I'll be tearing into the carburetor. Small engines intimidate me because I can never get them to run right.

I tried dumping the old fuel and adding fresh mid grade to the tank that was treated with seafoam. It didn't change so it looks like I'll be tearing into the carburetor. Small engines intimidate me because I can never get them to run right.

Seafoam has alcohol and oil in it. So i don't like it sitting in tanks. I can see using it if you run it through , it should clean. But never let it sit in tanks or fuel.

I really don't use it at all. its expensive for what it is.

To the OP....for seldom used OPE (in my case....chainsaw...trimmer...generator) I am using alkylate fuel only...and dont have problems anymore.

EDIT: even if some OPE is used more often...like lawnmover or snowthrower in a, season....I put that fuel in them when I put them to rest at the end of a season..

Well hell. I watched and reviewed the manufacturers youtube video on how the clean this carb. The **** cover nearly has to be torn down to access the carburetor properly. I took the carb off and serviced it exactly as champion said in the video. I pulled the tank and the hoses. I cleaned everything and gently blew everything with low psi compressed air. I buttoned everything back together (no extra parts!) and loaded it with fresh fuel. After the fourth pull, it fired up. I let it warm for a second before I switched it to the run position. Once I switched it to run, the rpm's raced and rev'd high. I shut it down and shook my head. Looks like I'll be contacting champion again to take it to a repair center under warranty. I understand the engine is showing symptoms of fuel starvation. But if the engine is running high rpm's, how is it not getting enough fuel?

Attachments

• 20201115_111720.jpg
    20201115_111720.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 68
This has automatic voltage regulation. (AVR)

The generator head is not putting out voltage, so the governor is revving the carb up to the moon to try to make voltage.

Fix the generator head and you'll fix your problems.

Good thing you have a warranty.

After a four hour call back this afternoon, I finally talked with a tech who told me it sounds like a bad control board. Since its an inverter style generator, they don't use the same voltage controls the construction type generators do. He's sending me a complete new control board. Hopefully I get it before Friday.

I received the new control board today. Despite my huge gorilla paws, I was able to get inside the generator and pull out and reconnect the new control board. It did not fix my issue. Im kinda amazed that they are sending me parts to throw at it when I could probably take it to a repair center where they could properly diagnose the issue. At least I can borrow my buddys generator for my trip Im leaving on tomorrow. I'll deal with it when I get back.

You will need to clean every orifice. If you can find some very fine wire, run that through every jet carefully.
+1
Spasm told you what to do. There is a varnish restriction in the carburetor's main jet causing it to run lien. You have to poke a fine stiff steel wire through the main jet to get the varnish out of it. I use the wire that is inside of twist ties. If the video doesn't have this in their procedure, the procedure will fail. You don't have to be carefull either, poke the wire through there and twist it around a few times. Trust me on this, I have done it literally thousands of times, it works every time.

Get it to a warranty repair place. The lack of power output is huge.

I'd hope they throw the towel in and just give you a new one.

Last edited:
Get it to a warranty repair place. The lack of power output is huge.

I'd hope they throw the towel in and just give you a new one.
The "limited" warranty covers defects in manufacturing/assembly. How is this a manufacturing defect? If you leave fuel in it and it goes bad then varnishes the carburetor, it is not a warranty problem. The key to my diagnosis is that it ran fine early last spring, it was stored with gas left in the tank and carb, then when it was pulled out many months later it started with the choke but wouldn't run properly. It tells you right in the owner's manual NOT to store it with gas left in it. This is obviously a customer/user error, not a defect. I used to see this kind of problem all the time at my shop. What most people don't realise is that the manufacturer is not going to reimburse an independent dealer for this kind of repair. OPE shops are not charitable institutions.

Last edited:
It runs but doesn't make electricity. This isn't just a gas thing.

It wants to rev to the moon, and Champion's remote diagnosis didn't fix it.

Choking it brings the speed down because it doesn't let much air in. The throttle is still wide open, it sounds like.

Back