need help with choosing oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to use German castrol in my Ranger but I cant find 5w20. Only thing it comes in is 0W20. I was wondering if it will be ok to use it in fords 3.0.
Also, why is it that ford uses atf in there manual transmission and transfer cases? Seems to me that some kind of gear oil would be alot better then just atf.

Originally Posted By: JeePing
I want to use German castrol in my Ranger but I cant find 5w20. Only thing it comes in is 0W20. I was wondering if it will be ok to use it in fords 3.0.
Also, why is it that ford uses atf in there manual transmission and transfer cases? Seems to me that some kind of gear oil would be alot better then just atf.

If the engine is spec'd for 5W20, then I see no reason not to use a 0W20.

Some manual transmission spec ATF, others motor oil, and some gear oil. It depends on the design.

The same goes for T-cases. Many Borg Warner or New Venture T-cases spec ATF. Some of these cases use planetary gear sets(like an auto transmission) for low range reduction. Older gear driven T-cases, like the Dana 300, Dana 20, or Spicer 18, spec 80W90 gear oil.

German Castrol is Castrol Syntec made in Germany and it's available only in 0W30. If your engine is spec'ed for 0W20 you can use either 0W20 or 5W20. It's hard to find 0W20 on the shelf, only brand you can find at most auto parts stores or WM is M1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back