Need Help With a Bike Tire

I've got a Giant Hybrid road bike . It's got a bad tube and I need to replace it. The tire size is 28" X 1 5/8" X 1 1/2" 700 X 38C. I can't find a tube on Amazon with these specs. I've found 700 x 35mm to 42mm tubes but it doesn't mention diameter. I'm prepping this bike to sell since the mountains aren't a place I care to ride a bike. I'd prefer a tube with a Schrader valve. The tube is the only thing wrong with the bike. Any opinions on what size tube would work?

Last edited:
You gave two different sets of measurements for the tire. What is the tire size stamped on the sidewall? If it's 700x38c, then any tube from about 700x35 to 700x40 should work fine.

The rim constrains your choices on valve type. The rim has a hole for the valve, Presta is smaller than Schrader, and you have to use a valve that matches this hole. If you use a Presta tube on a rim with a Schrader hole, it can allow a "tube hernia" or other problems that eventually compromise the tube causing leaks.

35mm to 42mm is the width of the tire. It will work just fine. One thing to make sure you check is the valve stem. Presta and Schrader stems are different sizes, so make sure you replace with the same. (Schrader is the same as your car, Presta is the funny looking one.

You gave two different sets of measurements for the tire. What is the tire size stamped on the sidewall? If it's 700x38c, then any tube from about 700x35 to 700x40 should work fine.

The rim constrains your choices on valve type. The rim has a hole for the valve, Presta is smaller than Schrader, and you have to use a valve that matches this hole. If you use a Presta tube on a rim with a Schrader hole, it can allow a "tube hernia" or other problems that eventually compromise the tube causing leaks.
28" X 1 5/8" X 1 1/2" 700 X 38C is what is stamped on the tire. The rims on the bike came with Schrader valves.

35mm to 42mm is the width of the tire. It will work just fine. One thing to make sure you check is the valve stem. Presta and Schrader stems are different sizes, so make sure you replace with the same. (Schrader is the same as your car, Presta is the funny looking one.
Diameter of the wheel is not a factor? Just asking because I see 24" to 29" tubes sizes marked on replacement tube boxes. There is one that says 700C 35" to 42" with no tire dimensions. Is this the one that would work? Thanks for the info.

Diameter of the wheel is not a factor? Just asking because I see 24" to 29" tubes sizes marked on replacement tube boxes. There is one that says 700C 35" to 42" with no tire dimensions. Is this the one that would work? Thanks for the info.
Diameter is of course a factor, that's what the 700c measures. Width is the other factor, that's what the 38 measures. 700 x 35-40 is a common inner tube size that will fit. The 700c part must be exact, the 38 only needs to be close, within a few mm.

Last edited:
the 700mm is almost 28 inches, That is the diameter you are looking for.

I had to learn the Metric system (called SI today) when I was in school in the 70's since the teacher said it was coming any minute.
Well, years later we got one and two Litre sized bottles of Soda Pop - that's about it. Oh, and them Japanese cars that need metric sockets and wrenches.
HTH - Ken

I try to do this as much as I can. But when they want $20 more for the product I want than I can get on Amazon I go with Amazon unfortunately.
Tubes like that are usually around $7, labor $8 if you don't want to do it yourself. For the OP, use the 700x35-40 measurement when shopping for tubes. Also, tire/tube sizing can be confusing, this may help. Clicky here.

You can just PATCH the tube also this works as well as a new tube. If you don't find what caused the flat your new tube will be flat with the first ride.

I just replaced tubes on my wife's mountain bike. She picked up a heavy staple that was hard to see. I Did a very careful "finger survey" of the inside of the tire when off the rim. 2x glasses and a bright flashlight can be of help also.

And - Don't forget to dust your new tube liberally with some Talc alternative before installing.

I’ve had poor luck patching tubes lately, like 50%. But I have “race” tubes and they sure feel different than the tubes I had in my youth. Maybe they have more dense rubber in order to get the tube wall thinner?

does not hurt to have spare tubes around. I wait until I have five or so bad ones and then try patch all at once.

28" X 1 5/8" X 1 1/2" 700 X 38C is what is stamped on the tire. The rims on the bike came with Schrader valves.

Sounds rather confusing because 700c is really just about 27.6". Does the rim list a size on a label?

Also - it depends on the type of inner tube. Most butyl rubber or latex tubes will accommodate a somewhat reasonable range where they stretch and inflate. I don't know if polyurethane tubes are still used, but those didn't stretch much and had a limited range of widths they could accommodate. Back when I was riding my road bike, the tubes I used for my 700x23c tires were typically listed as working with anything from 700x18c to 700x25c.

Personally I'd recommend just patching the tube if you're in doubt. I've never had a competently patched tube fail. Rema is pretty good. You could also look at the tube and see what it says on the side.

However, it sounds like you should be looking for a tube that accommodates a wide range. Here's an example of one that should work:

continental-tube-28-tour-light-40-mm-av.jpg

Back