Need help selecting decent tires

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm due to replace all 4 tires on my '04 Honda Accord and I am looking for some advice on selecting a solid A/S tire that will be good in the snowy winters in Upstate NY. Currently, I have BF Goodrich Advantage that are worn down to the indicator and aren't doing very well in the snow. But they have never been good in the snow which is why I would like to switch. I have been considering several brands based on reading reviews on T/R, DTD, Mavis Tire, etc. My behavior has been to focus on a type of tire, allow the reviews to convince me until I read one or two bad reviews that create doubt, and then move on to the next tire. Price has also been confusing and some sites have cheaper prices but more expensive installation and vice-versa, so I've been unsure where the value is. If I could get some advice on the tires I'm interested in , it would be greatly appreciated. These are the brands and types I have been considering.

205 60 16

Continental ProContact with EcoPlus (CR said these were the best tire in this category)

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus (Searching for ProContact, it seemed PureContact got better ratings on T/R and Mavis website)

Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+

Cooper CS4 Touring (Local tire store couldn't provide Pirellis or PureContact and had astronomical prices for ProContact...suggested this tire)

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread

As we've had 3 snow storms in my area, handling in bad weather has been my focus. But since I can't afford snow tires and summer tires I would like an A/W with a good ride and decent noise level. I noticed some of the reviews raved about treadlife and some reviews disagreed for these tires, especially the Contis and the Coopers. Ironically they have the longest warranties. Adding to my confusion.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Valueline
But since I can afford snow tires and summer tires I would like an A/W with a good ride and decent noise level.

I assume you meant can't?

But since I can afford snow tires and summer tires I would like an A/W with a good ride and decent noise level.

Thanks.

That a typo?

If you want the absolute best all weather tire

its the nokian WRG3 -- about 150$ each and nothing short of amazing in the winter.
WR-A3.jpg

of course buying separate winter and summer tires isn't "extra" expense.. since you get full wear out of both sets, It is an upfront $$$expenditure though.

Last edited:
Correct. I meant, can't.

Thanks!

Ok. If you insist on running one tire year-round, I'd select the Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus @ $94.

decent tires for proper road handling is only part of the equation. Given your vehicle is a 04 (almost 10 yrs old), I wonder how your struts are holding up these days?

When in doubt: replace them w/o hesitation. Afterall: a car cannot handle properly even with fresh new tires if your shocks/struts are worn, or have shown significant signs of wear.

Q.

Continental PureContact gets my vote. I currently have these tires on my accord but in the 225/50r17 flavor.
I just got back from a week long holiday trip that included Chicago, il to syracuse,ny. syracuse to NYC, NYC back to syracuse and finally syracuse to Chicago It was snowing every time we were on the road sometimes light, sometimes heavy. I had full confidence in the tires. they have a 75000 mile warranty and the winter traction was impressive. the one time they were slippery was with about 6 inches of slush on the road poking through Cleveland last night.
if I were you I would find an installer who will mount and balance mail order tires then order from discount tire. No tax in ny.
Or see what mafia/mavis tire will do as far as pricematching... don't hold your breath these guys ssucks big time

I have the Goodyear Assurance tires on my '04 Chrysler Town & Country van and I think they're great tires. We don't get much snow in this part of Texas so I can't help you with that. I bought them at Discount Tire. They are not cheap in price but are excellent tires IMO.

Mavis prices were in the ballpark, but their installation prices where ridiculous. And they differ for each tire. When I called them, the prices the Mavis sales guy gave me over the phone where even higher then what I found on their website. Basically they want $100 to install 4 tires. Walmart will do 4 for $56.

Last edited:
In upstate NY, you should really have winter tires.

However, out of the all-seasons, I like the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum. Another good choice is the Dunlop SP Sport Signature. Both are quite affordable.

Stay away from the TripleTred because they are directional. The only place I'd buy that tire, or any directional tire, is Walmart, since they do lifetime balance and rotation and will remount the tire on the other side, which probably NOBODY else will do, let alone at no extra charge.

I'm not really a fan of Cooper, Conti, or Pirelli, either. However, the PureContact and P7 are supposed to be a big step up in quality, and are well-liked by people who have them.

Another low-cost option is the General Altimax HP. Very good bang for the buck, and even though they're directional, it's OK as long as you buy them from Walmart (see above). Plus, the savings could towards some winter tires.

What is the OE speed rating on your car?

I run P7's in summer. Utter garbage in winter though. I agree with rand, go with the nokian wrg3. Wont be beat for year around quality.

I never considered the Kuhmo or Dunlop but I will look into them. I've read good things about General Altimax.

I heard about Walmart's lifetime rotation and balance. Does that apply to any new tires they install or only tires purchased at Walmart?

For some reason I never gave much thought to snow tires. I realize they would be beneficial but the upfront costs are a little beyond whats in my budget.

you can usually get winter tires on steelies from tirerack on the cheap.

since they roadforce balance/mount them for free that = shipping cost.

Then you can buy a nice all-season and not care about its snow traction it will only get use in a few dustings of snow.

The only all-season tire that approaches the traction of a winter tire(in the US)

is that nokian wrg3 but they are costly and not long life

"My behavior has been to focus on a type of tire, allow the reviews to convince me until I read one or two bad reviews that create doubt, and then move on to the next tire." This routine is exhausting.

At tirebuyer.com you get free shipping, and then sign up for their news letter and get a promo code for $20 off your first purchase.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Stay away from the TripleTred because they are directional.

Whats wrong with Tripletreds being directional?? Especially since it helps aid winter and wet traction ???

Did quite a bit research on tires when I looked for our Focus and Protege. Snow, wet and winter concerns were a greater concern w/the Focus b/c the wife is really needed at her job. Choose the Cooper CS4's for her car. (Previous had the General Altimax HP's which handled better but were not quite as good in the little snow we get her in Va.) The CS4's are good tires. They inspire confidence. Another tire which I strongly considered were: Hankook H727. Mixed reviews for both, but generally favorable. For the $ the Uniroyal Tiger Paws seem like a very good buy. (I believe the parent company for these tires is Michelin.) Another tire I considered were Toyo Extensa's. Had the Pirelli P4's on the Mazda but I exchanged them out for Kumho KH-20's. Much quietier and better riding tires. Also, IMO have a much lower rolling resistence. So don't rule out Kumho's as well. Let us know what you decide on!

I'm due to replace all 4 tires on my '04 Honda Accord and I am looking for some advice on selecting a solid A/S tire that will be good in the snowy winters in Upstate NY. Currently, I have BF Goodrich Advantage that are worn down to the indicator and aren't doing very well in the snow. But they have never been good in the snow which is why I would like to switch. I have been considering several brands based on reading reviews on T/R, DTD, Mavis Tire, etc. My behavior has been to focus on a type of tire, allow the reviews to convince me until I read one or two bad reviews that create doubt, and then move on to the next tire. Price has also been confusing and some sites have cheaper prices but more expensive installation and vice-versa, so I've been unsure where the value is. If I could get some advice on the tires I'm interested in , it would be greatly appreciated. These are the brands and types I have been considering.

205 60 16

Continental ProContact with EcoPlus (CR said these were the best tire in this category)

Continental PureContact with EcoPlus (Searching for ProContact, it seemed PureContact got better ratings on T/R and Mavis website)

Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+

Cooper CS4 Touring (Local tire store couldn't provide Pirellis or PureContact and had astronomical prices for ProContact...suggested this tire)

Goodyear Assurance Triple Tread

As we've had 3 snow storms in my area, handling in bad weather has been my focus. But since I can't afford snow tires and summer tires I would like an A/W with a good ride and decent noise level. I noticed some of the reviews raved about treadlife and some reviews disagreed for these tires, especially the Contis and the Coopers. Ironically they have the longest warranties. Adding to my confusion.

Again, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

This sounds like a great vehicle for some Hankook Optimo H727's. They are an excellent passenger car AS tire and do really well in the snow. They last a long time with proper care, the ride is decent, and they are quiet.

They will do just fine in your NY winters so don't let the snow tire police try and bully you into something you don't want to do and can't afford.

The H727 is available in your size( 205/60R16 ) for under $100 a tire but with shipping will run a bit over that( DTD deal though is hard to beat with free ship and a discount ). Not sure what shipping will be when it applies as I don't know your town's zip to check? Here are some prices though FWIW...

Tirerack = $93 each + shipping
DTD = $105 each + free shipping + $25 web savings = $395 set of 4 delivered
Performance Plus Tire = $98 each + free shipping
Tire Crazy = $92 each + shipping

Just a few examples for you. WalMart, NTB, PepBoys and a lot of other tire/parts stores have them. Check around. Definitely would be my go to tire. Been very happy with them on passenger cars up here in NH all around and during bad weather.

Last edited:
We had a set of Altimax HPs on a Subaru over a couple of winters and they seemed okay in snow.
They're down to $76.00 on TR in your size, so others will have them on sale as well.
We have a set of Pure Contacts on the Forester and they seem very good in snow.
The '02 Accord came on a set of nearly new Firestone Affinity Tourings and they've been fine over the last two days of snow and ice.
I've had Michelin Primacy tires on our old '99 Accord and they were pretty good in winter driving.
My experience has been that Michelin AS tires are generally good for winter driving.
The old Hydroedge is available on some sites very cheaply and would be a pretty good long wearing choice.
I picked up a set from tires-easy for one of the fleet cars at work for $66.00/tire.
Most AS tires are okay for winter use, although there are some exceptions, like the nearly new Primewells on the Focus, which are hilariously weak in grip on snow and ice.
OTOH, a few decades back, most AS tires were like that.
The tread looks like it would be okay, so it must be the compound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back