Need help making my mind up BMW LL-01 / B46 engine - mindlock

Part of the reason bimmerfest and other forums recommend Total, Pentosin, LM and Motul is the group 4/5 base stock, but if I am not tracking the car and doing 5k OCI, does it even matter? I was initially leaning towards Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro or Castro’s Edge on 5k OCI because it seems like they would be perfectly acceptable for my usage and interval.

Still nothing wrong with Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro or Castrol Edge if they
come with either LL-01 or LL-04 approvals. I've never come across a single group
4/5 base stock Total. Not certain on Pentosin (though I know they do PAO based
MTFs), but very most LM and Motul with contemporary approvals are group 3.
Nothing wrong with that as long as it's accordingly priced.
I'd love to say don't disregard M1 ESP 5W-30, but it's no longer LL-04 approved.
Generally Mobil1 is strikingly short of BMW approvals.
I'd suggest Ravenol RSP 5W-30 (LL-01), REP 5W-30 and RUP 5W-40 (both LL-04)
if you like PAO/POE blend as well as Tungsten add pack, but they're quite pricey
compared to the above mentioned and probably harder to obtain, though they
aren't pricier compared to Motul (just majority group 3 so not worth the premium
IMHO).
I'd also suggest extending OCI to 7500mls if your engine gets up to full operating
temp on most of your trips. I prefer changing oil after winter season since dilution
is worst at that time.

Part of the reason bimmerfest and other forums recommend Total, Pentosin, LM and Motul is the group 4/5 base stock, but if I am not tracking the car and doing 5k OCI, does it even matter? I was initially leaning towards Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro or Castro’s Edge on 5k OCI because it seems like they would be perfectly acceptable for my usage and interval.
The LM oils with LL-01 will be Group 3 HC oils. They only make a few Group 4 oils for sale in the U.S. - Synthoil Energy 0W40 is one but it doesn't carry the LL-01 approval. Only Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 ad Special Tech 5W30 have LL-01 and are Group 3s.

I don’t know anything about 4200. The only LM listed for the B46 that is 5W30 is Special Tec. It’s unclear to me what the major differences are between Leichtlauf, Special Tec and Molygen (“friction reducing molecules” and shows up in UV light)
Molygen 5W40 is a "recommended for" oil so doesn't have the approvals but likely meets most of those specs. It has a tungsten/molybdenum friction additive and as you point out, has a green UV dye in it. Leichtlauf HT is their basic approved Euro oil. Special Tec - not sure there beyond that it is a 30 vs. 40 - doesn't seem as popular in the VW world for cars taking VW502 00 - most use Molygen or LLHT if they use LM.

Also if not mentioned, Quaker State Ultimate Durability Euro Syn 5W40 (has LL-01 is the same as Penzoil 5W40 Euro - and can be found at Walmart possibly discounted at this point. It was $18/5L to start....somebody got it for $10/5L recently on the QSUD 5W40 thread.

Why Liqui Moly? There's nothing special about it.
B/c with the FCP Lifetime Guaruantee, it's effectively a free LL-01 approved kit delivered to your door into perpatuity. There is a value in that and it is by far the cheapest option But yes, nothing special above any other LL-01 oil. FCP does sell other LL-01 oils so whatever floats your boat.

That’s what I presumed. Seems like something a cheap ass would do in all honesty. Like returning Kirkland Oil because Costco has a generous return policy. It’s freakin motor oil, use it, recycle it and buy some new. I can’t believe anyone would consider using this option even if the manufacturer or retailer allows it.
Not only does FCP Euro allow it, they brag about it and encourage it. Yes, it's a marketing ploy, but, if it makes people buy other things from them, it's their right to spend marketing dollars any way they wish.

Not only does FCP Euro allow it, they brag about it and encourage it. Yes, it's a marketing ploy, but, if it makes people buy other things from them, it's their right to spend marketing dollars any way they wish.
And the customer's right to take advantage of what they offer.

I know it wasn't in the original post, but I believe I've settled on getting the OEM BMW filter from Amazon and Castrol Edge European Formula 0W40, 2x 5 quarts and keeping the partial for the extra .6 quarts and top offs - this is $40 per or $120 year, and I don't have to ship anything back.

I know it wasn't in the original post, but I believe I've settled on getting the OEM BMW filter from Amazon and Castrol Edge European Formula 0W40, 2x 5 quarts and keeping the partial for the extra .6 quarts and top offs - this is $40 per or $120 year, and I don't have to ship anything back.
I would use ll-01, especially if still under warranty.

0W40 was never tested for LL01, so don’t spread misinformation.
So I am incorrect that the 0W40 used to have LL-01? I could have sworn it did, and I even saw a screenshot of someone who emailed Castrol and the response was that they didn't seek re-approval.

If N20/26/B46/48/58, use LL01 or LL04 if GPF present.
better oils available than Castrol, including Valvoline 5W40 European Vehicle that is now available in 5qt jugs in Wal Mart.

Back