Need help making my mind up BMW LL-01 / B46 engine - mindlock

The only reason I was planning to add the "non-approved oil", is that I've already got 20x 5 quart jugs of the Supertech, and already have several open I use to top oil off. The other vehicles are on 7500 or 10k OCI, and I absolutely despise buying 1 quart jugs, especially for only 300ml.
Just buy (2) 5 quart containers of ll-01 approved oil. Don't use the Supertech in the BMW.

You can get an stp cartridge filter for bmw's at autozone for around $10 but that's near the mann price if I'm not mistaken so maybe stick to mann. But strangely a similarly sized cartridge for another car is $5 instead.

People overthink it a bit too much to be honest and so did i for a long time. i wouldn't sweat the precise oil amount. I both overfill and underfill my engines by about a quart without a single issue. Your engine is new enough to where it shouldn't burn more than a quarter quart in those 5k intervals.

And since you're changing it every 5k and 4 months you'd honestly be fine even with just the supertech 5w-30 you use for the others and your engine will live long enough to where something else big will fail so you don't need a long life rated oil for non long life use. So just use supertech 5w-30 every 5k along with the rest.

But if you really feel that euro oil need id consider platinum 0w-40 (not the 5w-40) which is $22 online at walmart right now, quaker state euro 5w-40 which is $19, and valvoline 5w-40 for i think $23. i don't believe the Pennzoil is LL rated but that shouldn't be an issue. they're all SP rated minus for valvoline but not completely sure but none will give lspi.
On several BMW forums there are horror stories about aftermarket oil filters falling apart. I've owned and wrenched on bimmers since 1974. I've always used filters made by the suppliers to BMW.

Ok, yes. First of all, done a ton of research, so this isn't one of those "What approved LL-01/LL-04 etc should I use?" posts. I've narrowed it down to three suppliers and three choices, I'm just trying to weigh my options for my first oil change and will be sticking with that.

Vehicle is a 2018 BMW 330i xDrive, 27k miles. 15k miles a year, mainly highway commute. OCI is 5k miles, so 3 oil changes per year. Rarely driven and not reach full warmed up oil temps. Climate is North Carolina so mild winters, garaged, and also have a block heater / trickle charger.

I've gone round and round and spent the last few weeks trying to make my mind up, even consulted my wife on the financials to try to decide what I want to do. I'm reaching out for any insight from anyone on what they would do. For the record, our other 4 vehicles (LandCruiser, Elantra, Accord, Odyssey) all get Supertech High Mileage Synthetic 5w30 and whatever quality filters I can get on sale, I stock them up. (Wix, K&N, Mobil 1, Bosch).

The options that I can't stop racking my brain on:

"Good"
Supplier: Amazon + Walmart
Oil: Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5w40 (ONLY 5 QUARTS - will need to add 560ML "non-approved" oil, which would be the aforementioned SuperTech High Mileage Synthetic 5w30)
Oil Filter: BMW OEM filter (Mann from Amazon)
Total Cost / Notes: $39.45 with tax and free shipping,
have to pick oil up from Walmart in person

"Better"
Supplier: FCPEuro.com
Oil: Liqui Moly Leichtlauf 5w40 - 6 LITERS / 6.34 QUARTS (No need to add non-approved oil, will have spare oil left over if top offs are needed)
Oil Filter: Mahle OE filter (or Mann for approx. $1 less total)
Total Cost / Notes: $68 with tax and free shipping

Lifetime warranty, can return oil and filter for around $14 flat rate box and get refunded $68 each time

"Best?"
Supplier: Amazon
Oil: Motul 8100 X-Cess 5w40 (ONLY 5 liters - will need to add 300ML "non-approved" oil, which would be the aforementioned SuperTech High Mileage Synthetic 5w30)
Oil Filter: BMW OEM filter (Mann from Amazon)
Total Cost / Notes: $56 with tax and free shipping

Total costs yearly (assuming 1st oil change with FCPEuro has already been completed)
Pennzoil: 118.35
Liqui Moly: 42
Motul: 168
The engine is spec'd for 0W-20 oil in the US. In Europe, it's spec'd for 0W30 or 5W30 oil. Why the difference? CAFE! I would go with LM 4200 5W30 and a Mann filter ONLY from FCPEuro. This LM oil is a fully synthetic, made from group 4 or 5 base stock. How do I know? I went to the LM German website and checked out this oil. It states that 4200 is "fully synthetic." Any oil that is sold/advertised in Germany as being "fully synthetic" has to be made from group 4 or 5 base stock. Group 3 base stock (hydrocracked dino oil or natural gas) oil can not be advertised as being "fully synthetic in Germany. I run this in my M240i.
That said, the factory 0W20 is actually an excellent oil, though I've always ran the LM 4200 when I tracked my car.

What's wrong with an ll-01 5w-40.

What's wrong with LL-04 5W-30? The car perhaps came even with thinner LL-12 FE oil from factory. One step thicker is certainly enough.

That said, I doubt common BMW forum recommendations ("just go high SAPS for best protection") do help in this regard.

Here are the recommendations from the manual:
1630170362468.jpg

The engine is spec'd for 0W-20 oil in the US. In Europe, it's spec'd for 0W30 or 5W30 oil. Why the difference? CAFE! I would go with LM 4200 5W30 and a Mann filter ONLY from FCPEuro. This LM oil is a fully synthetic, made from group 4 or 5 base stock. How do I know? I went to the LM German website and checked out this oil. It states that 4200 is "fully synthetic." Any oil that is sold/advertised in Germany as being "fully synthetic" has to be made from group 4 or 5 base stock. Group 3 base stock (hydrocracked dino oil or natural gas) oil can not be advertised as being "fully synthetic in Germany. I run this in my M240i.
That said, the factory 0W20 is actually an excellent oil, though I've always ran the LM 4200 when I tracked my car.
I don’t know anything about 4200. The only LM listed for the B46 that is 5W30 is Special Tec. It’s unclear to me what the major differences are between Leichtlauf, Special Tec and Molygen (“friction reducing molecules” and shows up in UV light)

I don’t know anything about 4200. The only LM listed for the B46 that is 5W30 is Special Tec. It’s unclear to me what the major differences are between Leichtlauf, Special Tec and Molygen (“friction reducing molecules” and shows up in UV light)
Why Liqui Moly? There's nothing special about it.

Why Liqui Moly? There's nothing special about it.
I was responding to Marcozi comments on LM 4200. Your advice was to just run LL-01. Out of easily obtainable oil that is a good price money wise, what would you recommend over LM or Motul? Your recommendation for LL-01, does that include oils that used to be approved, or oils that say “recommended” or “meets requirements”, or ones that actually have LL-01 approval on the bottle?

Part of the reason bimmerfest and other forums recommend Total, Pentosin, LM and Motul is the group 4/5 base stock, but if I am not tracking the car and doing 5k OCI, does it even matter? I was initially leaning towards Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro or Castro’s Edge on 5k OCI because it seems like they would be perfectly acceptable for my usage and interval.

I was responding to Marcozi comments on LM 4200. Your advice was to just run LL-01. Out of easily obtainable oil that is a good price money wise, what would you recommend over LM or Motul? Your recommendation for LL-01, does that include oils that used to be approved, or oils that say “recommended” or “meets requirements”, or ones that actually have LL-01 approval on the bottle?

Part of the reason bimmerfest and other forums recommend Total, Pentosin, LM and Motul is the group 4/5 base stock, but if I am not tracking the car and doing 5k OCI, does it even matter? I was initially leaning towards Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro or Castro’s Edge on 5k OCI because it seems like they would be perfectly acceptable for my usage and interval.
Oils that are approved. Not recommended for. Base stock really isn’t that important. Final product is much more important. The euro specs are no Gf-6.

On several BMW forums there are horror stories about aftermarket oil filters falling apart. I've owned and wrenched on bimmers since 1974. I've always used filters made by the suppliers to BMW.
I've heard of that too but the cases look minimal. But like i said since they're expensive enough to be in mann territory i said a mann would be best since its so close in price its not worth going to a slightly cheaper one.

Now if it were $5 like other very similarly sized ones and after a 5k interval didn't fail id probably use it again. Now if that aftermarket cartridge failed after the first use then clearly no once should try it again.

Pennzoil Euro, Quaker State Euro, and a few others are all the same brew.

Even more fun, the 5W-40 and 0W-40 have the same additive package…

Quaker State Euro at Maul-mart

Pennzoil Euro
i was wondering if they did have the same additive package because the approvals on both are very different. The pp 0w-40 isn't ll rated or rated belong Mercedes and vw while the qs euro is but in his particular engine lspi is the only real issue but the pp 0w-40 shouldn't give lspi since its sp rated.

Other than that there isn't much too it that would really cause issues especially with just 5k 4 month intervals. So supertech although not very confidence inspiring in thought would honestly be fine for the conservative use and interval in that engine.

But considering that qs euro is a smidge more if locally available would be worth it. if not $22-23 Valvoline euro which is ll rated is also well priced.

Block heater? Howd you find that?
It came with it from the factory. It’s on the window sticker. I believe this is only an option on the xDrive, which also has a metal oil pan instead of plastic - at least on F30 generation with B46 or B48 engine.

Pennzoil Platinum 5W-40 or Castrol Edge 5W-40 with Carquest filter at Advance Auto Parts.

$37.99

I've had success with them discounting the 6th needed quart as well.

I vote for the LM LLHT from FCP. Shows up at your door, has everything you need. And free next time. Use Paypal for your purchase and you can even get the return shipping refunded up to 12x a year for purchases - I've done this numerous times with my FCP Lifetime Replacement returns.

That’s what I presumed. Seems like something a cheap ass would do in all honesty. Like returning Kirkland Oil because Costco has a generous return policy. It’s freakin motor oil, use it, recycle it and buy some new. I can’t believe anyone would consider using this option even if the manufacturer or retailer allows it.
Hardly being a "cheap ass" and no, it's not the same as folks returning things like you mention to Costco. It's part of their policy that they openly advertise/walk you through the process on to how to return oil, brake pads, rotors, name it - it's all covered. The only thing you can't return are things that are used up like additives. I find it funny when this topic gets debated here meanwhile folks obsess over rebates and how to take advantage of all sorts of double-dips, using multiple addresses, etc. to get the cheapest $/qt oil. Have you taken a single minute to go to their site and read up on this? Clearly not. Their Lifetime Repacement is part of their claim to fame so to say. They have been growing by leaps/bounds over the last few years and this policy is no-doubt part of it. I'll wager that most folks don't take advantage of it b/c they think it sounds great but the hassle and/or return shipping makes it prohibitive when it comes down to it. Or, the they don't keep the car long enought to ever use it. They buy lots of other things when they are shopping there impulsively including additives that they heavily market that of course can't get returned. They advertise this like crazy in the Euro community on FB groups, Instagram, YouTube, etc. Remember, you have to pay for that first part and have to order the replacement before returning the original. I've used it extensively for all sorts of things and have calc'd that I have saved 40% off (b/c of that original purchase and I've not returned all of that yet) on wipers/oil/filters/brakes across 3 vehicles....so really, it's not that crazy....just a bit of a marketing gimmic to some degree that apparently works.

Capture.JPG

That’s what I presumed. Seems like something a cheap ass would do in all honesty. Like returning Kirkland Oil because Costco has a generous return policy. It’s freakin motor oil, use it, recycle it and buy some new. I can’t believe anyone would consider using this option even if the manufacturer or retailer allows it.
It's a loss leader for them and helps cultivate customer loyalty.

It works.

I don't take advantage of it because I can't be bothered with the return process, but it is legitimate and many many love it.

I bought my Odyssey battery through FCP Euro. Same lifetime warranty.

It's a loss leader for them and helps cultivate customer loyalty.

It works.

I don't take advantage of it because I can't be bothered with the return process, but it is legitimate and many many love it.

I bought my Odyssey battery through FCP Euro. Same lifetime warranty.
For sure - they take a loss on a small % of sales but the sales increase from it far outweighs it in the long run. Brilliant! I have some brake rotors that need to be swapped out and those won't be cheap to return - the Paypal shipping refund is maxed at $30 so will eat some of that but on a $250 set of rotors, it will be worth it. I typically save up my stuff and only ship back occassionally in larger boxes.

Back