Need help finding 1 coolant type for all vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to find a coolant that would be suitable for all three of our vehicles.
They are
08 jeep patriot -G05
88 Ford F150 - green
76 Jeep CJ5 -green
Would Zerex g05 or Peak Global would be ok for all three of them? Or should I stick with green for the older vehicles and G05 for the patriot.
Thank you

Last edited:
I cant answer your question, but I have this question.

If you were to completely clear the patriots cooling system of g05, couldn't you use conventional green?

You dont wanna use conventional green in the patriot due to the use of aluminum. while you could theoretically flush the older and use G05 in all of them (some people have certainly done this) you really should use what came with the vehicle originally.

Why would the use of aluminum have anything to do with using green anti-freeze? It was original fill in many vehicles with aluminum heads and radiators. I do prefer the G05 myself since it's a long life formula.

i do not recomend any longlife coolant in copper radiators or heaters.

infact they will void my warranty if i recored a rad or heater and LL coolant is used. some say g05 is ok but im not taking any chances.

Originally Posted By: cb_13
Why would the use of aluminum have anything to do with using green anti-freeze? It was original fill in many vehicles with aluminum heads and radiators. I do prefer the G05 myself since it's a long life formula.

G05 for the Patriot that is. I would stick with conventional green in the rest.

because aluminum is much more susceptible to corrosion. while certainly standard green inorganic coolant was used with aluminum heads, as automakers gained more experience and as they continued to include more aluminum and other metals in the cooling system - they switched over to organic acid coolants and HOAT coolants. (commonly called "long life")

there are also challenges with mixing long life coolant with traditional green coolant - you really want to flush all of the old out - as mixing the two will reduce the effectiveness of the new - and some of the anti-corrosion ingredients can actually precipitate out. You may also find some manufacturers who specify HOAT over OAT because of water pump seals. (Chrylser, Cummins)

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: tomcat27

because aluminum is much more susceptible to corrosion. while certainly standard green inorganic coolant was used with aluminum heads, as automakers gained more experience and as they continued to include more aluminum and other metals in the cooling system - they switched over to organic acid coolants and HOAT coolants. (commonly called "long life")

there are also challenges with mixing long life coolant with traditional green coolant - you really want to flush all of the old out - as mixing the two will reduce the effectiveness of the new - and some of the anti-corrosion ingredients can actually precipitate out. You may also find some manufacturers who specify HOAT over OAT because of water pump seals. (Chrylser, Cummins)

I had always been led to believe that silicates were the best protection for aluminum parts. Which is why the G-05 formula also included silicates. The issue was with the fact that the old green needed checked for PH and electrolysis, have SCA's added and/or be changed at a more frequent rate. I'm not stating this as a fact. That is just what I had been told.

I certainly would not mix types if at all possible. Ive seen the goo that a mixture of the early version of DexCool and green can turn into over time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back