Need BEST Silicon grease for brakes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
About to do brakes on my 1997 Infiniti Q45. I need to know the "Best" silicon grease on the market. Some thing that'll last thru Chicago winters. Any recommendation?

Motorcraft XG-3A from your Ford dealer comes in a small tube (and will last years) or you can buy 3M #08946 in the brush-top can. I only use the silicone grease for the slide pins.

For the metal-to-metal contact points, I highly advise using Molykote M77. You can purchase this at any Honda dealer for about $18 per tube.

Originally Posted By: Da Game
Thanks I did forget to mention that the use would for the caliper slide pins. I found this web-site also.

http://www.gwrauto.com/pastelub.html

http://www.ceramlub.com/

Any opinions on this product??

Various iterations of the purple ceramic stuff seems to gum-up and turn into cement after a few years. I have not seen this firsthand, but have read a number of posts concerning this matter.

I would stick to what the OEMs suggest for slide pins - high-quality silicone grease (not silglyde).

I have experience with the gwr products.

The Ceramlube is supposedly the same product as the Bendix Ceramlube. In my Caravan, as The Critic said, it dried out in my pins, gummed up, and resulted in poor movement. At least one other member here said it worked good for them.

The Stalube is a high solids moly paste that I imagine is similar to the Molykote M77. The Stalube is extremely water proof. I use it for the exterior metal to metal contact points.

I went back to using Sil Glyde, an old time product that I believe contains very little silicon, but seems to work. I also have used the Motorcraft silicon with success.

My trials with the new fangled synthetics was a bust. The green Permatex also dried out in my Caravan.

I could never get silicon grease to last a year on my Fords in the rears in Illinois. I used copper never seize. It will not come off without effort on your part. Just don't over lube as it will swell the boots if you do.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I could never get silicon grease to last a year on my Fords in the rears in Illinois. I used copper never seize. It will not come off without effort on your part. Just don't over lube as it will swell the boots if you do.

Thanks, I forgot to mention I'm in Chicago (If that matters). I'm using ceramin barke pads which I understand produces more heat. Is this true? I was also thinking on using Never Seize on the rotors where they meet the hub, to help prevent banging the [censored] out of the rotors to remove. What do you gents think??

I have never heard of ceramic producing more heat than other types of material. I would think semi-metallic pads would produce more heat but I am not sure.

As for anti-sieze, Yes, do it! Coat the inside of the hub, between the lugs and also do the outside of the rotor, in between the lugs so your rim won't seize to the rotor. Just brush on a thin film and don't get any on the threads of the lug studs.

the semi-metallic type pads where the friction coeff. is higher would produce more heat, and they will also eat the rotors faster. but really it depends on how brake happy you are driving.
i've used crc brake caliper grease, which is not silicone, and i think is better than silicone. only thing is you have to wipe the caliper pins and clean out the silicone that was in there, i did this on my camaro about 50k miles ago and have had zero problems. although it doesn't leave the garage between thanksgiving and cinco de mayo.

CRC_brake_caliper_grease.jpg

This is what you want we use it on every brake job in the shop. it works better than all the other brake grease weve used before and i highly recomend it.
24125.jpg

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back