Need an alternator for A 2005 Honda Pilot.

Looks like we need an alternator for her 2005 Honda Pilot. (My neighbor from the Acura main relay thread}
I am thinking about testing the windings and if OK, getting a rebuild kit for hers if l can find one.
If not, what is my best bet for an alternator for that car?
Called LKQ l can get a used one for $65.00, with one year replacement, car has 82,000 miles on it.

or new from a online honda (online)

I went through countless alternators for my `06 odyssey, that lived short lives until I got a new Honda one.

It is a pain to change on the Odyssey and probably a pain in the Pilot.

I wish I went OEM the first time. Expensive, but my time and frustration are worth money too.

or new from a online honda (online)

I went through countless alternators for my `06 odyssey, that lived short lives until I got a new Honda one.

It is a pain to change on the Odyssey and probably a pain in the Pilot.

I wish I went OEM the first time. Expensive, but my time and frustration are worth money too.
Awe man, I didn't realize it was a PITA to change 😱

Pilot is a little easier than an odyssey but not the easiest thing in the world. I sell Denso alternators in that application
Thanks well he's going to do it and I'm going to show him what to do so he learns!
Do I do it from the top of the car or from the bottom of the car?
To be honest I really didn't even look at it yet.
We charge and load tested the battery and and tested good!
But the battery light is coming on now, so I'm like 95% sure it needs an alternator!
As a matter of fact now that I think of it we have a shop in the next town over, in downtown Wheeling that does rebuild alternators and the guy is good. We used to use them when I was at the highway department and when I was at this garage prior to that.
I might see what he wants to exchange or overhaul this one.
They have an armature lathe and everything!

Thanks well he's going to do it and I'm going to show him what to do so he learns!
But the battery light is coming on now, so I'm like 95% sure it needs an alternator!
As a matter of fact now that I think of it we have a shop in the next town over, in downtown Wheeling that does rebuild alternators and the guy is good. We used to use them when I was at the highway department and when I was at this garage prior to that.
Its a tight squeeze out the top. I dont remember off the top of my head what all has to come apart. It wont come out the bottom

Yeah I replied to your other thread.. but I'll add here.. If you know of a good shop that can rebuild the original.. heck ya do it! That way you know the quality of the work, the parts.. perfect!

I have a TYC alternator on the Civic been in there working well for 10 years.. wow that went by fast! I'd probably get another if this one goes bad. But you have a rebuilder in the next town! easy decision there! (y)

Yeah I replied to your other thread.. but I'll add here.. If you know of a good shop that can rebuild the original.. heck ya do it! That way you know the quality of the work, the parts.. perfect!

I have a TYC alternator on the Civic been in there working well for 10 years.. wow that went by fast! I'd probably get another if this one goes bad. But you have a rebuilder in the next town! easy decision there! (y)
Yeah thanks just got done reading that sorry about the double posting.

Same engine as in Saturn Vue. I took it out the top. Not much room to work so not much fun of a job.

162Alternator.JPG

Same engine as in Saturn Vue. I took it out the top. Not much room to work so not much fun of a job.

View attachment 176342
Pilot is a little easier than an odyssey but not the easiest thing in the world. I sell Denso alternators in that application

I've had good luck with used OEM honda parts from ebay. Just make sure it is an actual used Honda part and not aftermarket or rebuilt.
That's a good idea too.
I forgot to ask LKQ if the one they had if he knew for sure if it was a OEM I would say it probably is because he said it had something like 87,000 on the clock.
Thanks for the input guys!
Well he's going to have the fun I'm just going to tell him how to do it I want him to learn some of this stuff.
He seems interested to learn too, which is good!

Almost anything except one "remanufactured" by Cardone. I'd think Bosch, Denso or ACDelco would be decent choices.
I have heard about mostly bad results from Cardone!
I don't know what kind of alternator I got the last time over $100 at advance Auto Parts I had to change it on the road and jump the car the car made it home and wouldn't start after that.
Even after putting a good slow charge on the battery!
I ended up replacing the brushes and the bearings and it was just fine.
The bearings were my initial issue.
It was the general motors alternator that you had to unsolder the four wires to take it apart.
The boss at the last place I worked said good luck rebuilding one of those alternators you have to unsolder it it was easy to unsolder and resolder it!

Back