Need Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Short of using Auto-RX (Which I'd have to order and don't have time) What do you reccomend

My brother in law has not changed the oil in his 1996 Sunfire (2.2L automatic) in about 15 000 - 20 000 km's It's a high mileage car (180 000km's)

What kind of oil should I use? Any additive to clean the engine? I will be using a napa gold oil filter, and he probably will stick to regular dyno oil since he obviously doesn't really care about the car.

Maybe something like Chevron Delo 400 would be good for him, cheap and it lasts...I would recommend AutoRx, but if he doesn't care at all, why so much bother? (Ordering AutoRx online takes so little time, that's a fairly lame excuse
blush.gif
)

BTW it's DINO oil from the word Dinosaur. "DYNO" oil.....well that's a whole different animal
smile.gif

Man, if he has not changed the oil in so many miles (and assuming he is using a conventional motor oil) can you imagine what the inside of that engine looks like? I guess if somebody does not care about their car, that is his problem.

Auto-RX is probably one of the best products for cleaning the inside of an engine. Neutra is another one.

quote:

Originally posted by Gotrek:
I will be using a napa gold oil filter, and he probably will stick to regular dyno oil since he obviously doesn't really care about the car.

Sorry to sound harsh but why do you??/ Care that is?

quote:

Sorry to sound harsh but why do you??/ Care that is?

I know this will sound harsher, but:
I agree, why are you letting his problem be your problem? Why give help that is unappreciated and unwanted? Part of the inevitable consequences of ignoring maintenance is higher cost.

I will also bet that if you touch the car and it breaks anything up to a year afterward, it will be your fault and he will look to you to fix it for free.

Trying not to be too cynical, but these are lessons learned.

Dan

quote:

Originally posted by Gotrek:
Short of using Auto-RX (Which I'd have to order and don't have time) What do you reccomend

My brother in law has not changed the oil in his 1996 Sunfire (2.2L automatic) in about 15 000 - 20 000 km's It's a high mileage car (180 000km's)

What kind of oil should I use? Any additive to clean the engine? I will be using a napa gold oil filter, and he probably will stick to regular dyno oil since he obviously doesn't really care about the car.

my g/f has the same exact model car. 96 sunfire 2.2 liter. burns 1.5 quarts every 3k miles. I change the oil every 3k miles too. if he hasn't changed his oil in that long, he might be running low on oil if he has any at all?

If he is old enough ta know better - I wouldn't touch it.

That said. Explain you might get away with fast working flushes if you think the engine is pretty clean but his is probably gunked up. A bottle of Neutra is pretty cheap and Auto-Rx does not cost all that much either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back