Need advice on older high mileage SUV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,

I've been reading a bit on these forums, and I can see it's quite the knowledgeable bunch. I'm not sure if y'all normally answer more general questions, so I hope I'm not committing a faux-paus by asking one.

I have a 96 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4wd 6cyl SUV with 285k miles on it. It's on its original engine & tranny. It's been fairly well maintained to a point, mostly highway miles, been ok on oil changes (most of the time within 1,000 miles of 3k..most of the time). But, last time I had a full service (owner's manual 150k mile check) was at 150k.

Now my question is: how much should I really invest in the maintenance of the car at this point? Edmunds values it at under $1000. I've had to replace a few things in the last 2 years (an alternator, water pump, belts, tires, front brakes/rotors) that has cost well over the value of the car. I was pricing a full service tune up, fluid flush, etc., and most shops want at least $500 (one as high as $950). The car also has a few minor issues: driver door panel falling off, power door locks stopped working (makes a grinding sound and doesn't move lock), rear windshield wiper won't work, needs new muffler/exhaust pipe (weld broke, rattles a little, $150-200 repair that just seems cosmetic).

Plan 1 is to keep up with oil changes, but not really do much else, any fixes beyond $2-300 will be considered 'sell/total-worthy' / dump it.

Plan 2 is to do all the scheduled maintenance, flush all fluids, and prepare for tranny replacement or engine replacement.

A little more background - it's had its share of problems, and over the years it has been in and out of the shop. 3 alternators, 2 water pumps, 2 a/c's, off the top of my head, in the last 9 years. I got the car on my 16th birthday (thanks, pops!), and recently got out of college (didn't have much cash for maintenance work in college, thus the neglect on regular maintenance). Right now I live 2 miles from where I work, usually walk or bike in, only really using the car for groceries and the occasional short trip. I don't really trust it for anything more than a 2hr drive anymore, because I had a problem with a fan belt recently that came off and stranded me an hour from home. Financially, if push came to shove and I needed another car, I could buy one, but realistically I'd probably just get by without for a little while. I'm pretty comfortable changing the oil, but that's really it.

So what do you guys think? Is it officially a "beater" now? If it were your car, what would you do?

Also to add - what would you recommend in terms of regular preventative maintenance to do, considering all it has had in the last 2 years is oil changes and a coolant flush.

Don´t neglect security items maintenance (brakes, tires etc) it´s you and your life riding that SUV and also neglecting those items could get you in legal trouble if you are involved in an accident

I would keep driving it.

That is a reliable vehicle and one of the best that Chrysler has made in the last number of years.. Also, you shouldnt' consider just dumping it off if it needs a repair of a couple hundred $.

A car payment is a couple hundred PER month, and it doesn't end for several years.

Originally Posted By: USA1
If it were me I would ponder if I wanted a car payment or not.

Exactly.
thumbsup2.gif

Oh I wouldn't actually get a loan for a car, I'd probably just buy something in the $4-5k range. Or not, even. Considering trying to live without a car for a while (I like a challenge). I could always rent a car for the odd weekend getaway.

It just feels like $750 to flush all the fluids may be throwing good money after bad.

and I definitely wouldn't ever drive a car that isn't roadworthy. All the problems I'm having now that I'm hesitant to fix don't affect its road-worthiness

Step three learn auto repair yourself on this buggy, it doesn't owe you anything if you botch a job. None of us were born knowing how to fix cars, in the last 10-15 years online forums for popular makes especially jeeps will have pictures and detailed descriptions written by newbies for newbies for all sorts of stuff.

If it rides on or takes 235/75/15 tires Walmart has goodyear wranglers (how appropriate!) in that size for like $60.

I assume you have manual climate control? They say the pimpin all digital system is a disaster to keep working. The 4.0 jeeps are simpler and better off for it.

You know that's a really good point I hadn't put much thought into. I think that may be the best solution.

Got new tires last year, which was only about 12,000 miles ago, so hopefully it'll be a while before I need new ones.

It is a manual climate system. Glad that makes it easier.

So...what would my recommended maintenance be? Should I look into an automatic transmission flush? The filter has to have 100k+ on it.

The fluids in both differentials, transfer-case, tranny, power steering and brake system all need to be changed. Coolant needs to be changed as well. Have the brakes checked, as well as the steering and suspension components. Spark plugs will need to be changed as well. Same for the air filter. Might as well do an engine oil change while your at it.

Probally so.

Originally Posted By: kronos
Also to add - what would you recommend in terms of regular preventative maintenance to do, considering all it has had in the last 2 years is oil changes and a coolant flush.

What about plugs & wires?

Your issues seem minor. As to preventative maint. stay on top of fluid changes. The pumpkins should get a 90weight, atf+4 in the trans, transfer case, and p/s. Rad flushes are pretty simple also, there's a drain cock on the lower left hand side. The biggest downfall of these vehicles were trans failures due to owners neglecting to change the fluid. The 42re trans is reliable just needs fresh fluid. If you want the lazy way out just siphon from the trans dipstick with a long section of hose, refill with 3-4qts. Crawl under the front and pump grease into the 7 or 8 nipples on the steering linkage and upper ball joints also.

You can fix your rear wiper pretty easily, check out my writeup:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/save-rear-wiper-motor-398760/

PM me if you have any specific questions about your grand, I can help ya out.

Check out my thread on insane used car prices.

Go shopping for your $4-5K used car. It may give you an appreciation for what you have. It may convince you to buy a new ride.

The problem comes when you have to put the same $1K into a car that you have little or no history with. Will the used car be better or worse than what you currently have?

What I did was have my mechanic go over my car, check the compression, check the oil pressure, and inspect for rust and then advise me if the basic car was sound. Since it was, I just sunk another $700 into a 16 year old Geo Prizm(Corolla with a Chevy badge) that has 249,520 miles on the clock, including two new 70K mile tires. (The last two I took off were purchased at 175K so I got 75K miles out of the tires that were not replaced due to road hazard issues, but that's another story.)

Today, with the work done, it really feels just as good as the 3-4K used cars I was buying, and I know the service history.

So as long as it has good compression, good oil pressure, and in your case, the transmission is not slipping, and there's no imminent rust danger, AND YOU LIKE IT, I'd say keep driving it.

The cheapest car to drive is the one you already own.

If you decide to take a road trip, you can always rent a car for distance travel, and keep this car for your near (spelled 100 mile from home) trips.

+1 You can change all the fluids yourself as well as the filters pretty easily, just do some reading online or get a haynes manual from the library.
Also your in good shape because you don't really need your car everyday so waiting for the odd repair isn't a PITA. I guess there will be a few $4-5k used cars that should be cheaper to maintain but there are also ones that won't be.
I'd keep the jeep maintenance up and if you stumble across a mint cheap car with maintenance history, you can still get some money for the jeep to put towards the newer car. All cars cost money, through maintenance or depreciation even if you don't put many miles on them.

I'd start looking for a smaller and more economical car.
Used ones are rather high, but his is best overall.
Sink your money into another better vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back