need advice on 2 engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm new to this oil stuff and need advice.

99 trooper w/ 100K has been burning 1qt/1K miles on dino 10w-30 w/ 3K OCI. Learned about design flaw on rings and in flush phase of 1st auto-rx treatment. Also alread purchased lubecontrol after flushing done. What oil should I use to keep this thing clean going foward?
Also, my wifes 01' sebring 2.7 engine, as I just learned also has a history of sludging. 33K miles on dino 10W-30 w/ 3K OCI. Notice low yearly miles. Same question on this vehicle.
Priorities are Clean engine, OCI, then cost. I also don't mind changing oil as frequenty as needed. Please don't say monthly
smile.gif

P.S. We live in Dallas, and temp rarely dropped below 32F, but summers hit 110F+. Summer weight/winter weight also fine.

P.S. I've been reading alot on this board over the past week, and was suprised not to find a basic faq about dino vs synthetic, oil wt. for temps, or how/when to do extended OCI. I do see lots of comments about people not being educated on modern engines/oils.
frown.gif

Well, if you feel adventurous you can secure some Mobil 1 5w-40 "SUV" oil for ultimate cleaning and oci. Another option is Shell Rotella Synth 5w-40 which is a lil cheaper. Going into summer, a dino 15w-40 will clean and not burn off in the Izusu. I like Mobil Delvac 1300S and Chevron Delo. I'm sure you can get more detailed help, but the board is slow on sundays.

If you are going with a short OCI (3,000 or 4,000 miles) most any API certified dino would serve you well.

If you want to go with longer OCIs synthetics are indicated. In real world performance synthetics can handle the extremes (both high and low temps) better.

I would not be fearful of running a synthetic oil 6 months or 6,000 miles under most reasonable conditions.

I would switch to any name-brand synthetic oil, in the weight listed in your owners manuals for both vehicles. I would also stick to the OCI listed in your owners manuals. My decision on which syn. to buy would be based on price.

Just to be on the safe side, I would do two short 3k OCI's w/synthetic on the Sebring. I have also read about the sludging on those 2.7L motors, but from what I can gather, it seems like an issue of owner/leasee maintenace neglect. Those are beautiful cars, by the way.

Just out of curiosity, what is the recommended OCI on the Sebring?

The manual recommends 7500 OCI, which was my concern after reading all the other posts about this being way to high for some engines (mostly honda's?). Or would that only be a problem with the dino oils? I was also concerned with the summer heat here in Texas.

Thanks for the info, Mike

With the 2.7 run M1 0w40 all year long at 5-6k mile changes. My father in law has the same motor in his intrepid and resently switched to M1 and cant belive the difference. He used to run 6k OCI with dino but after the sludge problems other have reported swithed to synthetic and he is now switching all his cars to M1 and not going back.
It made a huge difference in his Intrepid and Concord with a 3.2. I use the above in my Cirrus 2.5 liter v6 and my 4.5l v8 in my q45. Great oil that is available everywhere.

I think I'll try the M1 0W-40, but will the lube control make a difference w/ 6K OCI's? I should I save my money?

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back