Need advice for 2015 Mustang Ecoboost oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Everybody,
I am almost ready for my first oil change in my new Mustang. The mileage will be at about 1000. I have seen that this isn't needed but I am doing it for my own comfort. I have heard good things about Rotella T6. I would love to hear your recommendations.

1. 2015 Mustang with 2,3 liter Ecoboost (turbo) engine.
2. Owners Manual specs-Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend, XO-5W30-QSP Meets WSS-M2C946-A
3. I live in Florida so its hot and until I get a new intercooler the inlet temps are well above 110 degrees. It's not even summer yet.
4. I have a hard time keeping my foot out of the throttle.
5. My commute to work is only three miles but I drive enough over the weekends to properly heat everything up.

Recommended oil filter is the Motorcraft FL-910-S

Sorry if this has been covered before, I did a search and I can't find anything specific. Thanks for your time.

Owners Manual specs-Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend, XO-5W30-QSP Meets WSS-M2C946-A. Start here.

I'd for sure run full synthetic. If you are concerned with any possible warranty issues, then stick with 5w-30 that meets Ford's spec. If you are less concerned (running out of spec oil does not always mean a warranty is going to be denied) then consider M1 or GC 0w-40.

With only a 3 mile commute, count on changing the oil at 5k OCI's.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Owners Manual specs-Motorcraft 5W-30 synthetic blend, XO-5W30-QSP Meets WSS-M2C946-A. Start here.

+1

Wow, thanks for the quick replies. Maybe it's just a successful advertising campaign but I assumed synthetic would give more protection under high stress conditions. If I stick to 5K OCI do I not need full synthetic? I'm kind of leaning towards BikeWhisperer's recommendation right now.

I would stick with what the factory recommends while the car is under warranty. I doubt there will be any trouble one way or the other though if you wanted to use a oil like M1.

MotorCraft is typically a synthetic blend and is well-regarded here. But if you want to go a step further, think about using a full synthetic that meets Honda's HTO-6 standard for turbocharged engines. Mobil1 5w-30 (as an example) meets this standard, MotorCraft does not.

Just run any synthetic 5W-30. Most meet stringent spec's like Dexos1 and HTO-06. Mobil 1 has some nice rebates right now and Havoline syn is on sale at Advance...

Name-brand 5w30 synthetics will be fine. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Synpower, etc.
Rotella T6 is a good oil, but is not designed primarily for gasoline engines.
You have a warranty to maintain, and putting non-recommended viscosity in could cause an issue at the dealer if warranty work is required.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Name-brand 5w30 synthetics will be fine. Mobil 1, Pennzoil Ultra, Valvoline Synpower, etc.
Rotella T6 is a good oil, but is not designed primarily for gasoline engines.
You have a warranty to maintain, and putting non-recommended viscosity in could cause an issue at the dealer if warranty work is required.

^ what he recommended in that order, stick with the 5w30.

Go with a quality synthetic in the appropriate weight while under warranty. Follow the oil life monitor, or if you're really worried, change it out a little sooner.

Make sure to periodically check your oil level so you're never running the engine low on oil.

Do the above and you should be fine. Once the warranty is over, you can move up in weight if you so desire.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Originally Posted By: CT8

+1

+2

Thanks so much for your replies. You have all been very helpful. I got 6 free oil changes from the dealer when I bought the car so I will stick with those and then go full synthetic when I run out of freebies.

GF5 is a turbo spec oil. Many USA "Fully synthetic" are at MOST a blend. Pick you favorite colour bottle.

Me, Id try an import ACEA A3 B4 MB229.5x or BMW LL01 spec oil after 2 OCI. The you likely will get a synthetic. Amsoil signature is a solid choice.

Good luck getting a technical synthetic with XOM, Ashland, Conoco Phillips

Originally Posted By: Bbrilli
Thanks so much for your replies. You have all been very helpful. I got 6 free oil changes from the dealer when I bought the car so I will stick with those and then go full synthetic when I run out of freebies.

I would "watch" (ie check the invoice) what they put in. You can get a full syn 5w30 in the Motorcraft. Often those freebies are for lesser product (often the syn-blend but it could be any unknown bulk oil) or that full syn will cost extra.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: FutureDoc

I would "watch" (ie check the invoice) what they put in. You can get a full syn 5w30 in the Motorcraft. Often those freebies are for lesser product (often the syn-blend but it could be any unknown bulk oil) or that full syn will cost extra.

+1 make sure you're at least getting syn-blend MC and not bulk whatever. Also ask if you could pay a little extra to upgrade your changes to M1 or something. My local ford dealer stocks all grades of M1, and will use it on request.

Last edited:
Every Ford dealership I've seen uses Motorcraft 5W30 (which is a synblend) as their bulk oil. Only time they will deviate is if they do on oil change on one of Ford's 5W50 spec'd cars,which will be Motorcraft as well.

Smart move. Your warranty can not be denied because you have oil changes at authorized dealer. If your Ford dealer doesn't use correct oil then they will pay for any damage to your engine, if they use correct oil then Ford will pay for damage.

I will tell you first hand, most shops do not use Motorcraft bulk oil. They many advertise it, but most go with what the local oil company has via their bulk tankers. Last I knew Motorcraft is only available in bulk in 55 gal drums via the standard Ford ordering system. Most dealerships would run out in a day. Keeping skids of cases also isn't feasible. I have worked in 3 different dealerships, and the all had 500 gallon + bulk tanks of 5w30 and 5w20.
I have yet to see a dealer who carries 10-20 drums of oil at any time, or 10-20 skids. Im sure if you are close to the CP refinery, they may have a bulk delivery, but that is all I would bet on. If you request it, you may get it. If its coming from a pneumatic hand pump, Ill bet the farm its probably not Motorcraft or CP oil. (unless you are close)

I only knew of 2 shops, 1 used Chevron, the Other Pennzoil.

Last edited:
More good advice. I will request the synblend and see if I can watch the process. I will also ask if the bulk stuff is truly synblend and ask where they get it if it comes from a big bulk tank.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back