need a "pesto" recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
Hi,

I went out with the GF to a restaurant called Nunzio's, in Collingswood, NJ. It was EXCELLENT, and Id like a recipe for one of the items that I really enjoyed, if anyone has one...

WIth the bread they brought, came this oily paste. It was about the color of lima beans, and had some oil sitting on top, which could be mixed back in. It had about the viscosity of any other pesto Ive ever had, but the coloration and degree of smoothness was much differernt.

As for taste, it did have a basil-like taste, but much more mild than a normal pest that Ive had, and much more "garlicy". I assume that is what changed the coloration.

Any good starting points to make something like this to put onto bread would be great... I love basil and garlic.

Thanks,

JMH

It's odd, I think of an ideal pesto's viscocity as being thinner to be suitable for use on pasta. I would want a grade thicker for bread use and would keep a "summer" and "winter" weight around.
grin.gif
You say it was oily but also a paste, I'd want a "base oil" that congeals at room temperature for bread use.

Tried making my own from ground basil and garlic and olive oil-- definately something missing there, probably freshness.

Pastene pre-made pesto is by far the best I've found in the grocery store; other brands are totally different and disgusting IMO.

We make it regularly.

A bunch of basil, finely chopped. 2tablespoons of browned pine nuts, and 2 cloves of garlic finely chopped.

THen enough olive oil to suit the purpose of the pesto.

Sounds like the used some parsley.

Some of the best pestos I've had are actually baked. It's a personal thing. I love the flavor of the olive oil itself, others like garlic, sometimes I like mine with walnuts, sometimes with sun dried tomatoes.

Making pesto is kind of like making pancakes; no matter whose recipe you use, it will probably still turn out great. I grow lettuce-leaf and French basil in my little garden, and when it's in season, I eat basil till it's coming out of my ears. It's my favorite herb.

In general, if you're going to make it, try something like 2 cups of fresh leaves to a big handful of grated parmesan, a few garlic cloves, a slightly smaller handful of pine nuts, a pinch of salt/pepper, and enough extra-virgin olive oil to thin it out to where you want it. You can tweak this to make it about anything you want really, just don't skimp on the quality of the ingredients.

Where I live, it won't be in season for quite a while yet, and the stuff I can find in the groceries is never any good, so I occasionally buy a pre-made jar, but it always leaves me disappointed. Home made is always better. Bon appetite.
cheers.gif

2 cups fresh basil leaves
½ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves peeled garlic
¼ cup pine nuts
½ teaspoon table salt
1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
½ cup fresh grated Parmesan (the less expensive Grana Padano is perfect)

Puree in food processor or blender.

Eat and enjoy!
cheers.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back