Need a new sub-$450 laptop ASAP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, this is a "desperate" situation...so naturally, I'm asking for anonymous recommendations on a oil-related website.
54.gif

Yesterday, my 5-year old NewEgg home-built special died on me; it wasn't unexpected, though I failed to plan ahead and have a new computer ready to go. That said, I find myself needing a new one w/in the next day or so. Also, I've decided to ditch the desktop for a laptop, namely for portability (duh). The only "heavy lifting" I need my next computer to perform is to run Quicken Business and LogMeIn simultaneously; other than that, it's goofin' around on the internet and maybe playing "Half-Life" once in a while.

That said, last night I hit the local stores (Best Buy, Walmart, Staples) to see what was out there; nothing really impressed me at the price-point I set (~$450). So, I poked around on TigerDirect, NewEgg & Amazon and here is the "best" I could find for the price:

Amazon: Acer AS5732Z-4867 $429

Product Features
2.2GHz Intel Pentium Dual-Core T4400 Processor
3072MB DDR2 667MHz Dual Channel Memory
250GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive, 8X DVD-Super Multi Double-Layer Drive
15.6" HD Acer CineCrystal LCD-backlit Display; Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
RAM: 3 GB
Hard Drive 250 GB SATA Hard Drive (5400RPM)
Size (LWH): 10.8 inches, 14.4 inches, 1.5 inches
Weight: 6 pounds

Unfortunately, as I live in a state w/high sales tax (8.1%) and need expedited shipping (like tomorrow), this deal will probably exceed my price point. However, it still seems to meet the specs of other machines costing $500+.

So, is this a good deal? Does anybody know of anything better right now?

Thanks a million for any help on this!

M_C

Just want to say "thanks" to everyone for the suggestions (I did check into all of them, except CL). Anyway, before ordering from Amazon, I made another trip to Wallyworld to see what they had again. Found an Asus Aspire 7736Z-4088 with the same processor & RAM, but with a larger screen, hard drive, a built-in webcam & 802.11n (the other laptop I mentioned was only g). It was $498 before tax, whereas the Amazon laptop was $469 (overnight shipping was ~$40), so I'm fairly happy with what I got.

That said, Windows 7 is so much better than Vista (my wife has it on her Compaq laptop); it seems to fly. On a down note, I have no way of transferring my Quicken program to my new laptop, so there was another $49 down the drain...not to mention the pain of importing to (and learning how to use) a new version of Quicken. All seems to be well though!

Thanks again.

M_C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back