Need a new rotary buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FastEddie
Going off thread title, need a new rotary, most references in this thread are to rotary buffers, including the Flex, Makita etc. Porter Cable makes a rotary, Porter Cable 7428. And I have a Porter Cable XP DA as well as the older Porter Cable DA, much favor the Griots as it has more power, is quieter and has less vibration when using a 5 inch backing plate. But I have hundreds of hours on these machines and don't rely much on the internet as I do real world experience by myself.

While having only used it twice...the Griots DA polisher is also 2 lbs heavier/bulkier...which makes working with it far more of a challenge and less desirable than the Porter Cable DA polisher (which is why after using them both a number of times with 5" pads...I bought my own Porter Cable recently). Those 2 lbs make a big difference when detailing an entire vehicle, in terms of hand fatigue. I found the sounds to be nearly the same, as well as common vibration from any DA polisher.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
The OP said he needs a rotary (because his burned out), and he already has a Porter Cable.

A rotary is much better at removing severe defects than a DA.

I've got a Makita and it's a beast. Rarely ever reach for it though.

Respectfully disagree.

I already pointed out (in a previous post) that what people call these units overlaps, intertwines, and is sometimes misused. Examples of those scenarios were provided where even the sales outlets mislabel/misname them. Buffer...polisher...the nomenclature is often confused.

As for the PC 7428 vs the PC 7424XP...The 7424XP DA polisher is far more nimble to work with, and with the appropriate pads for them (and polishing products), they work extremely well on what the OP was looking to tackle.

You just don't get it, do you?

The OP asked for rotary recommendations. He already has a DA. It's simple reading comprehension. I'd say that anyone using the terms rotary, DA, or random orbital with regards to polishers knows the difference.

You can disagree all you want, it doesn't make you less wrong. Rotary polishers/buffers/whatever, when compared to a DA, get so much work done so fast that an inexperienced hand can cause serious damage in a seriously short time.

You've once again demonstrated that your knowledge is theoretical instead of practical.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
You just don't get it, do you?

I got it the first time. In fact, I posted specific proof links disproving what you were promoting as the exclusive device name/type for the job.

Rather than respond to yet more of these unfortunate repeatedly-insulting posts...some of us are providing factual information to help the original poster with their question, including links to supporting information.

I'm wishing the original poster success in reaching their goal; "I need something that I can buff scratches and scuffs out with".

To that end, my information is already posted, including factual reference links to actual devices themselves, their listed names, their various functions, and how those can accomplish the goal. The original poster should be able to easily determine what device(s) best meets their needs from those linked information pages.

Best wishes and good luck to montero1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back