Need a new alternator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Vikas
How about Denso remans? Are they any good?

I got one, so far so good and they're remanufactured in LA. Not in Mexico or China.

We just did the alternator in our '97 Nissan pickup this year also, 218k now. I took it to a local alternator guy to have it rebuilt. $63. So far so good.

Originally Posted By: FowVay

I bought a alternator from AutoZone. It lasted less than one hour and 40 miles of use before it seized. I removed it in a business parking lot
Which one, DN or LS?

Originally Posted By: FowVay
DN or LS? Not sure what the question is.
Which parking lot!
grin.gif

Question regarding NAPA and CARQUEST.

Both of these seem to cater to mechanics, and are a step above Autozone and OReillys.

Do NAPA and CARQUEST have almost the same suppliers, and sell almost the exact same parts (but under their own brand name)?

Originally Posted By: Elroy the Unique
Do NAPA and CARQUEST have almost the same suppliers, and sell almost the exact same parts (but under their own brand name)?

I don't know about using the same suppliers but I do know CQ has their red and blue line of parts, the Red Label parts are less expensive parts marketed to the regular cost-conscious customer. CQ Blue Label parts are their Premium/OEM quality line of parts. I know Napa has a similar marketing method with their Premium or OEM quality parts and they also sell cheaper parts which usually have less of a warranty.

My mechanic suggests Bosch remans. I just had to put a starter in my Maxima and got the Bosch. When the starter started go die, I was able to drive to him to get it replaced. I was surprised how quickly it became bad but fortunately, it never stranded me. In three days it went from no problem to "would it work next time?".

- Vikas

Originally Posted By: Elroy the Unique
Question regarding NAPA and CARQUEST.

Both of these seem to cater to mechanics, and are a step above Autozone and OReillys.

CarQuest has 2 lines, and they also can get things from WorldPac as well. CarQuest Blue like the poster above me said is the good stuff. Red is the basic line.

And CarQuest also mentions their import electrical linecard is sourced from Denso/Hitachi/Mitsubishi. However, all the Denso stuff I got from CQ was ordered from WorldPac in Denso's own packaging.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back