Need a Fuel Pressure Tester / Gauge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since this is a precision tool the Harbor Freight version is out. I'm looking for the best value Fuel Pressure Gauge. Something that you've used before and is reliable. Not a HF gauge that's going to leak after a few uses. I also need a T splitter (or whatever it's called) in the kit because the Corolla doesn't have a Schrader valve.

I'm leaning towards the Actron for around $40.

Actron CP7838 Professional Fuel Pressure Tester

These Fuel Pressure Gauges aren't discussed much here or at toyotanation. Better late than never. And please best value not a $300+ kit.

Last edited:
If it is for just one vehicle I would get an adapter that has a 1/8" port, some fuel line and a pressure gauge rated for alcohol and hydraulic oil. That's what I have.

Probably cost around $50 total.

That looks like a good one,as long as it has a pressure relief button for fuel bleed off thats the key feature.

I think you need to do some homework and find out what the thread sizes are for your fuel setup. Its probably metric threads. You will probably need a tee that you can thread in place rather that trying hoses and clamps.

Do you need to measure with the engine running?

I bought an inexpensive oil pressure tester and it had one or two fittings. I then bought a used Snap-On and it had all the fittings needed.

The only one I can vouch for is the Snap-on, or whatever OEM made the Snap-on pressure gauges.

24+ years, and I only had to replace O-rings on the pressure release twice....total maintenance cost ~25 cents.

Rent it for free from the parts store. I've used those before and they're usually decent as long as all the parts are there.

Unless you are a professional mechanic you wont have a reason to use it often enough to justify its cost.

The difference in quality between a HF one and a $40 Actron is probably zero, and a Corolla won't notice the difference between an Actron and a Snap-on.

As someone said above, get one with a relief valve. The one without seem like a mess/fire waiting to happen.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I think you need to do some homework and find out what the thread sizes are for your fuel setup. Its probably metric threads. You will probably need a tee that you can thread in place rather that trying hoses and clamps.

Do you need to measure with the engine running?

I bought an inexpensive oil pressure tester and it had one or two fittings. I then bought a used Snap-On and it had all the fittings needed.

I need a tee with a Schrader valve that I can clamp between hoses.

Key On Engine Off (KOEO) and rev engine test. I suspect I have a weak fuel pump. All of the the data I've collected from LTFT, STFT, MAF Flow, etc indicates low fuel pressure.

I can always borrow one from AAP or AZ but this tool is often overlooked and I'd like to own one instead of borrowing from the auto parts store.

Originally Posted By: sunfire
Since this is a precision tool the Harbor Freight version is out. I'm looking for the best value Fuel Pressure Gauge. Something that you've used before and is reliable. Not a HF gauge that's going to leak after a few uses. I also need a T splitter (or whatever it's called) in the kit because the Corolla doesn't have a Schrader valve.

I'm leaning towards the Actron for around $40.

Actron CP7838 Professional Fuel Pressure Tester

These Fuel Pressure Gauges aren't discussed much here or at toyotanation. Better late than never. And please best value not a $300+ kit.

I have the actron kit you mentioned above. Great kit. The T-connector actually has a schrader valve in the T and you screw on the pressure gauge to it. The gauge also has a fuel pressure relief (right next to the clear tubing).

Great gauge I must say. If you have more than one car, I would recommend getting several of the T's to hook up and leave permanently installed. But I do hope that your vehicles all do not suffer the same fate
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Sawdusted
2006 Toyota Corolla 1.8L 1ZZ-FE PP 5W30. Totaled 12/6. RIP.

I noticed you owned a Corolla. I haven't had a chance examine they layout of the fuel line yet. Do you know how where the best place to install the tee?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back