Nearly arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe it was the situation you were in? I know down here, if you are taking a load of scrap to a dealer and get stopped, the law will ask for a SSN#.
At the scrap dealer, they want your driver's license as well as other forms of ID....so I'm told by my step-son who makes trips to the local scrap dealer on a regular basis.

Otherwise in a normal stop, they don't ask for your SSN#.

Interesting story, I'm not sure how I'd react. I'm generally cooperative with law enforcement, but I'd be hesitant to offer an ssn number if a dl will do. I might just act dumb and say I don't know it.

What also struck me, was that way back when I moved to CO, the default was to have your ssn number printed on your dl, but was given the option for it not to be. Of course I requested it not be on my dl.

Originally Posted By: PandaBear
I think the smart situation would be to ask the officer why would it be needed and tell him or her you are concerned about ID theft. It is better not to get into a confrontation before understanding the other side's point of view.

If it is a quick test against fake ID, I think giving the last 4 digits should do.

That was my excuse when I wanted to not give it...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In most cases smart people cooperate. It's generally a good idea.

Exactly. "Yes officer..here is the information." After the incident is over then lodge a complaint. Again..there is no upside arguing with an officer IMHO.

And this:

Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
Word to the wise. Comply with a smile then ask questions later at the Chiefs office to clear things up. Never try to train a police officer while he has you stopped.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
In most cases smart people cooperate. It's generally a good idea.

Exactly. "Yes officer..here is the information." After the incident is over then lodge a complaint. Again..there is no upside arguing with an officer IMHO.

And this:

Word to the wise. Comply with a smile then ask questions later at the Chiefs office to clear things up. Never try to train a police officer while he has you stopped.

I find the same situation. whenever a cop pulls me over, be very nice and agreeable. because all of a sudden, you will have a lot of problems if you don't. sad, but power hungry cops are out there. there are good ones, but I had cops yell at me for no reason. "next time, you move over, you stay over!!" I did move one lane over when a cop pulled someone over in the emergency lane, but I moved back into the right lane after I passed the parked cop in the emergency lane. but another cop got so angry, he had to pull me over to yell at me about it. then he let me go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: umungus1122
I've had them ask for the SSN before, and have refused. Your state DL is sufficient ID.

Be said essentially that... That he would get my SSN regardless when he ran my info. I gave it just to be cooperative.

I kind of regret it now, because I don't like folks getting used to having info they shouldn't be asking for.

Would be nice to have a back pocket statute or law to spout back.

Well if he could get it anyway, offer him the last 4 digits and he can compare.

I doubt they were forklift batteries. They weigh about 1000 lbs. for the kind of narrow isle reach truck (official name) you see at Home Depot or Lowes. There is a carrier they (they being a service company) use to lift the battery level and then roll it in. All the weight helps to balance. I have put 1 ton pallets up on a rack 24' high and the fork lift does bounce a little.

Are you required to carry your SS card or know your SS# in the U.S.?
Personally , I do not know my SS# or carry my card on a regular basis.
If dealing with a police officer I smile, and comply to the best of my ability (within reason). But if I feel he is "Fishing' I would ask if I am to be charged, or am I free to go!
I was given this advice from a Barrister many years ago in the U.K.
It has served me well

I thought it used to be common practice to carry your SS card, but now it says to NOT carry it, but keep it in a safe place.
you could just say you don't know it, but here's my DL, my phone #, my address, etc.

Jeez, an entire two page thread for this paranoia?

Let's see, you said he was polite and professional, right? What's your beef with that? Give him some credit, what with having to deal with a-holes, thugs, potential cop killers, and city council people.

He had probable cause to stop you whether you and the others want to believe that or not.

As for your SSN, there are eight of us in this area with the same name, unfortunately, so I'd gladly provide my SSN to a professional police officer who wants to ensure I'm not that one of eight who has a felony warrant outstanding for aggravated robbery.

If he remotely suspected that one of eight was me, how would you EXPECT him to react?

And c'mon, cut the [censored]. ID theft is a cop out (pun intended) for not wanting to cooperate. You have a substantially greater chance of having your ID stolen via online B.S., a credit card transaction hijacked by a skimmer at a gas station or ATM, or via your monthly "charge my credit card each month for this recurring bill," than you would a cop selling or using your SSN.

If that was his intent, he could have easily obtained your "vaunted" SSN later by running your name, date of birth, and driver's license number through one of several databases.

So, why did he need it at the moment he stopped you when you appeared to be heisting batteries? It resolved any potential question of your identity.

Case closed. Move on to more important things in life.

Dkryan,

The next person with the same name as I is in FL and IL. At least one of them I know (no relation) and is very upstanding.

So if ID was the case, (1) he could have stated specifically why, and (2) he would not have needed it (innocent until proven guilty).

The story was humorous. The issue with SSNs is a valid question.

With my DL# he should have had enough info. If not, THEN he could ask.

The numbers are written in his small notepad. How do I know that he doesn't loose it? The federal government trains and has constant reviews about personally identifiable information, but the cop just writes it in his little book?

JH,

Likely two different perspectives depending on where you were standing at the moment.

I'm glad it ended well for you.

Dont talk to cops, ever. If they think they can arrest you for something, then you are already going to be going to jail; they just want a confession. If they dont think they have enough to arrest, then they are fishing for something to get you on. Talking to them is at best, unnecessary, and at worst, harmful. I would have given him my ID only (and that only because my vehicle is right there) and shut my yap.

Last edited:
The police can ask you for all kinds of things, but it doesn't always mean that you are compelled to give them. I am always polite and courteous to the police, but I'm not going to just roll over if I know better. If the police want to go fishing, they can charter a boat.

Driver's license would be sufficient ID in the OP's case.

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Dkryan,

The next person with the same name as I is in FL and IL. At least one of them I know (no relation) and is very upstanding.

So if ID was the case, (1) he could have stated specifically why, and (2) he would not have needed it (innocent until proven guilty).

The story was humerous. The issue with SSNs is a valid question.

With my DL# he should have had enough info. If not, THEN he could ask.

The numbers are written in his small notepad. How do I know that he doesn't loose it? The federal government trains and has constant reviews about personally identifiable information, but the cop just writes it in his little book?

JH,

Likely two different perspectives depending on where you were standing at the moment.

I'm glad it ended well for you.

Why wouldnt it?

I'm an upstanding local citizen in a legal and well kept vehicle with nothing to hide or fear.

My only "crime" is that I was taking something out of a public dump that has specific, posted restrictions on what should be left there. The item in question is not to be left there.

I had nothing to hide or be concerned with. I'm clean and record clear. Disproportionate treatment and he'd be lucky to have a job.

There is absolutely no reason we should have to live in fear of police such that we need to be glad it ended well. That should be expected. The question is why an SSN is necessary for such a situation, and if it is even a reasonable thing to even ask for under such benign circumstances. After all, he knew who I was before even getting out of his car...

Originally Posted By: dkryan
Jeez, an entire two page thread for this paranoia?

Let's see, you said he was polite and professional, right? What's your beef with that? Give him some credit, what with having to deal with a-holes, thugs, potential cop killers, and city council people.

He had probable cause to stop you whether you and the others want to believe that or not.

As for your SSN, there are eight of us in this area with the same name, unfortunately, so I'd gladly provide my SSN to a professional police officer who wants to ensure I'm not that one of eight who has a felony warrant outstanding for aggravated robbery.

If he remotely suspected that one of eight was me, how would you EXPECT him to react?

I'm afraid that Police are results orientated, which means they are out to find guys doing bad stuff. He approached you wanting to know what you were doing. Not finding anything obviously illegal, he decided to dig deeper, run a check, WITHOUT CAUSE
He was Fishing!

I am an upstanding local citizen in a legal and well kept vehicle with nothing to hide or fear.

My only "crime" is that I was taking something out of a public dump that has specific, posted restrictions on what should be left there.

Two mental images come to mind.....will the real JHZR2 please stand up!
crackmeup2.gif

413974_res2_FairlyFaithful.jpg
.......... OR............

prov_smithrite_070606_210.jpg

lol.

A little of the latter (but it was a waste motor oil dump, not a dumpster), for the sake of the former (plus a few $$$).

"Yes officer, no officer." More than that and you never know where it's going to end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back