National Avg. Gas Price by 8-19-05

Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
OK, BITOGers, here's another pointless gas-price thread. What do you think the national avg. price for regular unleaded gas will be by Friday (8-19) of this week? My guess is $2.85/gallon, & it burns me. [Mad] FWIW, the price HAS already changed our driving habits. My wife & I had planned on going out of town, to one of our favorite restaurants, for a nice dinner on Friday evening. I had also planned to take a mountain biking mini-trip this afternoon. We scrubbed both plans, & stayed at home, because of the skyrocketing fuel costs.
 
Messages
1,199
Location
Arkansas
I predict that premium will be pushing 3 bucks a gallon here real soon. I saw regular as high as 2.58 here, and premium as high as $2.78 a gallon. [Frown]
 

wavinwayne

Thread starter
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
There may be hope......Crude oil was edging lower this morning. That, in & of itself, may not make the price of gas go down, but hopefully gas prices won't rise anymore this week. I'm now forcing myself to drive at or below the posted speed limits to & from work. Maybe that will save me 1-2 mpg. [I dont know] I've also began cutting out unnecessary trips.
 
Messages
113
Location
Erie,PA
An article I read on MSN said that there is $.20 of 'catching up' to do in the gas price to bring it in line with the futures price. Based on that, if it's true, we should hit about $2.75 here by the end of the week.
 
Messages
36,473
Location
ME
I think it'll level off, drop two cents a week for five to ten weeks, then shoot up another thirty cents over a couple days. [Frown]
 
Messages
10,909
Location
Nokesville, VA
quote:
Originally posted by wavinwayne: I'm now forcing myself to drive at or below the posted speed limits to & from work. Maybe that will save me 1-2 mpg.
It'll save gas only if it doesn't cause you to have to stop for a red light that you otherwise would have reached while it was still green. This, of course, assumes that the traffic lights in your area are actually synchronized. Most are not...and it's probably one of the cheapest ways to reduce traffic congestion and gasoline usage around. Problem is, most people think that as long as it's changing colors, it's working properly and doesn't need any money spent on it.
 
Messages
2,095
Location
IL
quote:
Originally posted by brianl703: ... This, of course, assumes that the traffic lights in your area are actually synchronized. Most are not...and it's probably one of the cheapest ways to reduce traffic congestion and gasoline usage around. Problem is, most people think that as long as it's changing colors, it's working properly and doesn't need any money spent on it.
YES!! There is absolutly NO effort put into signaling around here. Actually offensive to me as a commuter. But lets see they spend money to do this and they then get less tax money from gas. [Mad]
 
Messages
36,473
Location
ME
[Off Topic!] I find "traffic slowing" junk set up in towns I commute through offensive, myself. The residents put in 4-way stops, 25 mph speed limits on the most direct routes anywhere. As traffic detours down new routes they get slowed down too in a game of "one-downsmanship". The businesses lobby against bypasses that could actually efficiently get around Main st and its half dozen traffic lights. There isn't much I can do about it, not residing in the offending town(s). The state road portion has decent speed limits and is run by the state DOT... but the town road (and town rules) takes over where it's convenient for the locals. I am certain if I went to a town meeting, there'd be two blue-haired women who want to install speed bumps "for the children". [Mad]
 
Messages
1,251
Location
Austin, TX
I read an article in April or May's Motor Trend. The guy makes a claim that adjusted for inflation, we are actually better off than the "good old days" when it comes to gas price. Make sense...
 

wavinwayne

Thread starter
Messages
7,550
Location
North Alabama
quote:
Originally posted by Steve S: [QUOTE]Originally posted by wavinwayne: My guess is $2.85/gallon, & it burns me. [Mad] Why?
Oh, I dont know; maybe it's the fact that it was half that price this time last year.
 
Messages
2,513
Location
Richmond, VA
quote:
Originally posted by Jonny Z: I read an article in April or May's Motor Trend. The guy makes a claim that adjusted for inflation, we are actually better off than the "good old days" when it comes to gas price. Make sense...
Don't think so. I used an inflation calculator and the price should be about $1.65 adjusted for inflation. I used 1978 for a reference because that was before the second gas crisis. We're paying about 1 dollar too much.
 

HEV

Messages
327
Location
Great Central Valley, CA
quote:
Originally posted by wavinwayne: OK, BITOGers, here's another pointless gas-price thread. What do you think the national avg. price for regular unleaded gas will be by Friday (8-19) of this week? My guess is $2.85/gallon, & it burns me. [Mad] FWIW, the price HAS already changed our driving habits. My wife & I had planned on going out of town, to one of our favorite restaurants, for a nice dinner on Friday evening. I had also planned to take a mountain biking mini-trip this afternoon. We scrubbed both plans, & stayed at home, because of the skyrocketing fuel costs.
It was pretty predictable, really. That’s what happens when you invade a county, cause chaos, and completely disrupt/nearly halt a very significant source of oil production. It’s great for the Saudi’s, however…
 
Top