National Avg. Gas Price by 8-19-05

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, BITOGers, here's another pointless gas-price thread. What do you think the national avg. price for regular unleaded gas will be by Friday (8-19) of this week?

My guess is $2.85/gallon, & it burns me.
mad.gif

FWIW, the price HAS already changed our driving habits. My wife & I had planned on going out of town, to one of our favorite restaurants, for a nice dinner on Friday evening. I had also planned to take a mountain biking mini-trip this afternoon. We scrubbed both plans, & stayed at home, because of the skyrocketing fuel costs.

I predict that premium will be pushing 3 bucks a gallon here real soon. I saw regular as high as 2.58 here, and premium as high as $2.78 a gallon.
frown.gif

2.49 for regular and diesel (which is what I use)...I saw 2.76 for premium yesterday....which is what the motorcycle uses. Dallas area.

There may be hope......Crude oil was edging lower this morning. That, in & of itself, may not make the price of gas go down, but hopefully gas prices won't rise anymore this week.

I'm now forcing myself to drive at or below the posted speed limits to & from work. Maybe that will save me 1-2 mpg.
dunno.gif
I've also began cutting out unnecessary trips.

An article I read on MSN said that there is $.20 of 'catching up' to do in the gas price to bring it in line with the futures price. Based on that, if it's true, we should hit about $2.75 here by the end of the week.

I think it'll level off, drop two cents a week for five to ten weeks, then shoot up another thirty cents over a couple days.
frown.gif

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
I'm now forcing myself to drive at or below the posted speed limits to & from work. Maybe that will save me 1-2 mpg.

It'll save gas only if it doesn't cause you to have to stop for a red light that you otherwise would have reached while it was still green.

This, of course, assumes that the traffic lights in your area are actually synchronized.

Most are not...and it's probably one of the cheapest ways to reduce traffic congestion and gasoline usage around.

Problem is, most people think that as long as it's changing colors, it's working properly and doesn't need any money spent on it.

quote:

Originally posted by brianl703:

This, of course, assumes that the traffic lights in your area are actually synchronized.

Most are not...and it's probably one of the cheapest ways to reduce traffic congestion and gasoline usage around.

Problem is, most people think that as long as it's changing colors, it's working properly and doesn't need any money spent on it.

YES!! There is absolutly NO effort put into signaling around here. Actually offensive to me as a commuter.
But lets see they spend money to do this and they then get less tax money from gas.
mad.gif

offtopic.gif
I find "traffic slowing" junk set up in towns I commute through offensive, myself.

The residents put in 4-way stops, 25 mph speed limits on the most direct routes anywhere. As traffic detours down new routes they get slowed down too in a game of "one-downsmanship".

The businesses lobby against bypasses that could actually efficiently get around Main st and its half dozen traffic lights.

There isn't much I can do about it, not residing in the offending town(s). The state road portion has decent speed limits and is run by the state DOT... but the town road (and town rules) takes over where it's convenient for the locals.

I am certain if I went to a town meeting, there'd be two blue-haired women who want to install speed bumps "for the children".
mad.gif

I read an article in April or May's Motor Trend. The guy makes a claim that adjusted for inflation, we are actually better off than the "good old days" when it comes to gas price. Make sense...

quote:

Originally posted by Jonny Z:
I read an article in April or May's Motor Trend. The guy makes a claim that adjusted for inflation, we are actually better off than the "good old days" when it comes to gas price. Make sense...

Don't think so. I used an inflation calculator and the price should be about $1.65 adjusted for inflation. I used 1978 for a reference because that was before the second gas crisis. We're paying about 1 dollar too much.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
OK, BITOGers, here's another pointless gas-price thread. What do you think the national avg. price for regular unleaded gas will be by Friday (8-19) of this week?

My guess is $2.85/gallon, & it burns me.
mad.gif

FWIW, the price HAS already changed our driving habits. My wife & I had planned on going out of town, to one of our favorite restaurants, for a nice dinner on Friday evening. I had also planned to take a mountain biking mini-trip this afternoon. We scrubbed both plans, & stayed at home, because of the skyrocketing fuel costs.

It was pretty predictable, really. That’s what happens when you invade a county, cause chaos, and completely disrupt/nearly halt a very significant source of oil production. It’s great for the Saudi’s, however…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back