nascar and water wetter

Status
Not open for further replies.
saw while waiting for daytona to start on sun. nascar tech explaining the new changes especially the coolant..he said they use water and a product called water wetter.

I can't imagine what they were using before that? No way they allowed actual antifreeze in the cars, way too slick in the event it spills. Most club racing doesn't even allow it.

robert

The new cooling systems for the cars are smaller, smaller rads and less water capacity, as well as tiny air openings in the nose, this was done to prevent long 2 car drafting. If you notice more cars were venting out the overflow during the race, no anti-freeze is used strictly water.

I had heard a few years ago they were using up to a 50/50 mix of water and water wetter. But no way is coolant/anti-freeze allowed to be on a racing surface.

No racing series I know of allows antifreeze. Racing is the sole reason for the existence of products like Water Wetter and Purple Ice. They're useless with antifreeze (advertising notwithstanding) because the surface tension lowering chemistry is already there in antifreeze anyway.

Water holds more heat than antifreeze, but a mix boils at higher temp than pure water, (and freezes at a lower temp, of course) Westinghouse actually built a power reactor for the Seawolf which used liquid sodium, a metal which in theory could hold even more heat. Didn't work out and the boat got a water reactor later. Redline makes a water wetter
but I think just for racing.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
No racing series I know of allows antifreeze. Racing is the sole reason for the existence of products like Water Wetter and Purple Ice. They're useless with antifreeze (advertising notwithstanding) because the surface tension lowering chemistry is already there in antifreeze anyway.

Water Wetter on the bottle says it reduces temps if mixed in with 50/50 water/antifreeze mix also.

Originally Posted By: Provi
Originally Posted By: 440Magnum

Water Wetter on the bottle says it reduces temps if mixed in with 50/50 water/antifreeze mix also.

Sure it SAYS that. But since the thermostat holds the temperature constant, we can instantly dismiss that as advertising nonsense.

Wetter ought to be tested on a vehicle with a marginal cooling system, like the 70's and 80's Jag XJ series. On most newer cars, the cooling systems are well designed, and the gauge (if it has one) is "programmed" not to show much more than cold and hot. Not much use.

Since we are talking NASCAR, what is the system the injected cars use to kill the electric fuel pumps after a "wreck". The carb pumps were engine driven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back