napthenic vs paraffinic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read posts here for several years, but this is my first post. I am looking at several different oils marketed for use on firearms. Many new products purport to be synthetic oils, vegetable based, or PAOs. But I see that some still use conventional oils. I would like to know what is the difference between Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated light naphthenic CAS number: 64742-53-6, and Distillates (petroleum), hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7? Particularly, Hoppes brand lubricating oil is the heavy paraffinic, and Hoppes brand elite gun oil is a blend mostly made of light napthenic. Are there any fundamental differences like pour point, flash point, basic slipperiness, evaporation, or other characteristics?

Just to thicken the mud a bit, I'm looking a Park Tool Polylube grease. Their MSDS lists both naphenic and paraffinic.
DISTILLATES, PETROLEUM, HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHENIC 64742-52-5 30-50 %
DISTILLATES, PETROLEUM, SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC 64741-88-4 10-30 %

"...This means that an increase by 10°C reduces the lifetime of an oil by half...".

This really surprises me.

"...A refilled ATF must be miscible with the fluid already in service. Thus,
the base oils used must be based on molecules that are compatible at all
blending proportions and temperatures..."

Gives more merit to multiple D&F's within a short amount of time if the original fluid is unknown. Wonder if this can vary from manufacturer to manufacturer...I would assume so due to the fact that not all manufacturers use the same base oils.

Last edited:
Okay so I read that whole document. Or should I say as much of it as I could understand. I paid particular attention and did a word search for paraffinic. I'm not a chemist. It appears to me that the document is sort of a sales brochure for this company claiming that their napthenic oil is superior to a paraffinic oil. The two main reasons that I could find that they're trying to claim is that you can dissolve more things into a naptnic oil like additives and such and that napthenic oil has better low temperature qualities. They may even have hinted at a lower expense for producing napthenic.

In my original post I pose the question of difference to try to come to a position of which would be a better oil as in its lubricant qualities in and of itself because the products that I saw seemed to be pure either paraffinic or napthenic oils without additives. These companies made the choice and distinction for some reason. So at regular operating temperatures - would one or the other intrinsically be a better lubricant?

Companies that sell Napht base oils will say Napht is the best. Companies selling Para oils will say para oils are the best. Syn oil companies will say syn oils are the best. I am getting old.

From another thread:

Quote:
Group V base oils include all remaining oils not placed in Groups I to IV and include non-synthetic and synthetic oils such as polybutenes, alkylated naphthalenes, bio-oils, white oils, esters, phosphate esters, perfluorinated ethers, certain Napthenics, silicones, alkylated benzenes, PFPEs, Ionic Liquids, and polyalkylene glycols.

Naphthenic oils are Group V oils but do not show superior characteristics in all applications. In many applications, certain naphthenics are used primarily as solvents.

IN my gun oil lubrication formulations I use only synthetic oils with EP additives. The EP additives are non-sulfur, non-phosphorus.
additives.

For gun cleaning formulations I use a mix of naphthenic and other cleaners.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: greywarrant
Just to thicken the mud a bit, I'm looking a Park Tool Polylube grease. Their MSDS lists both naphenic and paraffinic.
DISTILLATES, PETROLEUM, HYDROTREATED HEAVY NAPHTHENIC 64742-52-5 30-50 %
DISTILLATES, PETROLEUM, SOLVENT-REFINED HEAVY PARAFFINIC 64741-88-4 10-30 %

For firearms i stay away from greases because they collect too much dirt and tend to congeal.

Greases are thickeners with base oils.

The napthenic base oil is used for low temps and for solvency while the paraffinic oil is the main oil carrier for the thickeners and to provide a film.

Last edited:
I was hoping this would not devolve into a grease vs oil debate, so I apologize for mentioning Pedro's. I only listed that product because they use both types of base oils. I am only concerned about the benefits, if any, of either a paraffinic oil or a napthenic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back