Naples, FL -Small jet crashes on I-75

I was watching Probable Cause on YouTube and he thinks the fuel gelled up and caused both engines to fail.

Very unfortunate considering I-75 was their best option for a landing.

I was watching Probable Cause on YouTube and he thinks the fuel gelled up and caused both engines to fail.

Very unfortunate considering I-75 was their best option for a landing.
We can watch the fuel tank temps in real time on our G600. I can't think of a time when landing in South Florida where the fuel is below freezing. Aluminum skins are thermally conductive, and generally the tanks don't contain much fuel at this point, so the fuel temp increases rapidly on descent. The idea that a Challenger has gelled fuel might indicate it is a temperature related problem. Which seems unlikely when landing here. However, as I like to say, "ya never know"...

Last edited:
It appears to be a dual engine failure.

They’re quite unlikely, but with fuel on board, they generally fall into two categories - crew error and fuel contamination.

I doubt it “gelled up”, this jet doesn’t fly high enough, and it was not far enough North.

Now, contaminated fuel remains a possibility. Because of the post crash fire, I would not suspect that they ran out of fuel, but it still is possible that the crew made an error that starved the engines of fuel.

Back