Naples, FL -Small jet crashes on I-75

From the report “The plane was approximately 250 feet in the air when it crashed.”

I reckon the crash happened closer to zero feet…

About the time it hit the ground?
🤦‍♂️
Yeah I saw that as well. Any idea how far one of these can glide with the engines out?

Yeah I saw that as well. Any idea how far one of these can glide with the engines out?
With both out - best glide is probably 5:1. About a mile for every thousand feet.

Not far at all.

But a dual engine failure is unlikely.

Sadly, the more likely scenario is a single engine failure, followed by a loss of control.

Managing yaw, drag, and flight path in a multi-engine airplane with an engine out can be a challenge.

Mess up the airspeed, get below Vmc, and you lose control.

Aircraft type matters little. It can happen in any multi engine airplane from 777 to F-14, and this little jet

Or maybe it did hit a vehicle. Found this online, no idea if real but looks like it could be.
IMG_5301.jpeg

Lose both engines and you think running out of fuel but bursting into flames seems to mean it had fuel.

Lose both engines and you think running out of fuel but bursting into flames seems to mean it had fuel.
I wonder if they went to shut down the fuel to the engine with problems and mistakenly shut off the good one? That’s a very populated area around Naples Municipal airport, at least they were able to get to the highway and not land on some homes.

Managing yaw, drag, and flight path in a multi-engine airplane with an engine out can be a challenge.

Mess up the airspeed, get below Vmc, and you lose control.
Would then certain parts of all or the plane stop flying?

I wonder if they went to shut down the fuel to the engine with problems and mistakenly shut off the good one? That’s a very populated area around Naples Municipal airport, at least they were able to get to the highway and not land on some homes.
I’ve driven by there many times. It was good fortune.

That was the issue with TransAsia Airways 235 in Taipei. Pilots mistakenly shut down the still functioning engine.

Dashcam video of this crash. The crew did a good job of keeping the airplane under control, they flew it all the way down.

Wow. Hadn’t seen that. Amazing anyone got out alive after seeing how quickly the fire got going.

Not far as the stall speed would be significantly higher than say a Cessna 152
And remember they were dirty with gear and flaps out so super draggy with not much altitude to play with in the first place. Figure they lost power at 1500', maybe 2000' so pretty much anywhere directly in front of you is where you are going to end up. Only a few miles from the runway and couldn't make it.

Back