NAPA Syn Blend Top Notch

When I can, I change the oil and filter on my wife’s old Ford Minivan. I use whatever is on sale at Walmart or Menards. Sometimes she takes it to Ford and have the complete vehicle inspection with the Motorcraft oil change. Usually by the time her van is ready for a new oil change, I’ve already added about a half quart to a full quart of oil when I check her engine time to time. Nice and dark tint.
This spring I tried Napa 5w20 Syn Blend (with Motorcraft oil filter) when they were running their big oil sale. I know it’s a Valvoline base with a Napa specific blend.
Holy Sweet Mary, what an oil! Every time that I’ve checked the oil, it’s still right on the mark, and the color looks great for the time/mileage. I’m totally impressed! As compared to Motorcraft oil, the Napa oil seems like a better oil. It’s holding up better and the old V6 engine just purrs. So now in the midst of hot and humid summer temps, still no problems. I am beyond satisfied.

Attachments

• 5A1C8689-DE35-4F74-997D-34D67E553E8B.jpeg
    5A1C8689-DE35-4F74-997D-34D67E553E8B.jpeg
    336.4 KB · Views: 41
When I can, I change the oil and filter on my wife’s old Ford Minivan. I use whatever is on sale at Walmart or Menards. Sometimes she takes it to Ford and have the complete vehicle inspection with the Motorcraft oil change. Usually by the time her van is ready for a new oil change, I’ve already added about a half quart to a full quart of oil when I check her engine time to time. Nice and dark tint.
This spring I tried Napa 5w20 Syn Blend (with Motorcraft oil filter) when they were running their big oil sale. I know it’s a Valvoline base with a Napa specific blend.
Holy Sweet Mary, what an oil! Every time that I’ve checked the oil, it’s still right on the mark, and the color looks great for the time/mileage. I’m totally impressed! As compared to Motorcraft oil, the Napa oil seems like a better oil. It’s holding up better and the old V6 engine just purrs. So now in the midst of hot and humid summer temps, still no problems. I am beyond satisfied.

How do you know it is holding up better? Is it burning less? Color is not always indicative of performance.

If the oil is darker then it probably means that it is cleaning better.

I've had several cars that have burned oil for years just all of a sudden stop burning oil. Most recently the Vue in my signature has always needed around a quart every 2k miles. Just checked it after my daughter drove it back from college and no one has checked the oil in over 6 months and it is right at the full mark. No idea why, but i can almost guarantee the brand of oil has nothing to do with it.

Noticed the same thing when going from MC synblend to Valvoline white bottle/synblend in an older Honda Accord 4cyl. This was after 3 or 4 intervals of MC. For the record VWB is very similar to Napa synblend. I still like MC but prefer VWB or the Napa variant.

I like NAPA and Valvoline. I wish Valvoline would go on clearance more often though. It very rarely does.
The NAPA sales are OK, but not when I acquired PP 10W30 for $3.68/jug or Mobil 1 5W20 HM for a buck a quart.

I used my last Maxlife 15W40 jug in my John Deere tractor last Fall. Runs p!ssah and perceptibly easier cold starts to move snow.

How many miles/time between changes?

Yes I've noticed Napa brand oils are high quality, at least equal to whatever Ford / Motorcraft is slinging.
Not only does it work better for your wife's minivan, but it's inexpensive too! Score!
If you haven't already, sign up for a NAPA online account and get $5 off your first online purchase.

I've used it in the past and was never impressed with it either. It always burned off faster than any other oils I've tried.
The KIA dealership we got the RIO at uses Conoco-Phillips oil for their oil changes. The first oil change was free. 5W-20 Synthetic blend went in. I imagine it's the same thing as Motorcraft. I was chatting with the service manager while they did the oil change and watched them do the whole thing. They did a nice job. I ran that for 5,000 miles and then switched to synthetic. No issues with the oil and it stayed full on dipstick for the whole OCI.

I have done my own oil changes ever since, but did go back to them when a rear caliper locked up at 35,000 miles (they replaced it under warranty, common issue in that year RIO.) They did a nice job then also. For some reason, they were out of the OEM pads for that car, so they said if I was okay with it, they would put on NAPA premium pads. I said that was fine (didn't want to wait 3 days for the car.)

The KIA dealership we got the RIO at uses Conoco-Phillips oil for their oil changes.
My wife's Stinger is due for it's first free change. Not sure what the dealer uses, I'll have to call. If they say bulk I'll do it myself.

Regarding MC, never had an issue when using it. I had the dealer do the last change in my F150 while it was in for an ECM update and tire balance ($50 for 2 gallons and a MC filter - not bad). I towed 5 hours North to go ATV'n and she didn't use a drop. My only issue with MC is the price compared to full syn. Just doesn't make economic sense, especially scoring a bunch of M1 HM 5W20 for $1/qt.

My wife's Stinger is due for it's first free change. Not sure what the dealer uses, I'll have to call. If they say bulk I'll do it myself.

Regarding MC, never had an issue when using it. I had the dealer do the last change in my F150 while it was in for an ECM update and tire balance ($50 for 2 gallons and a MC filter - not bad). I towed 5 hours North to go ATV'n and she didn't use a drop. My only issue with MC is the price compared to full syn. Just doesn't make economic sense, especially scoring a bunch of M1 HM 5W20 for $1/qt.
If it's bulk just do a shorter OCI, free oil is free oil haha.

Back