NAPA PROSELECT 27151, CUT OPEN TORN!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car51 - my opinion is if NAPA can not follow the OLM, they should discontinue the part number or fix the part so it will follow the OLM. I see no reason why 10W30 should not work in SW PA. Other PSD owners have avoided the MC filter too. Good luck.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Car51 - my opinion is if NAPA can not follow the OLM, they should discontinue the part number or fix the part so it will follow the OLM. I see no reason why 10W30 should not work in SW PA. Other PSD owners have avoided the MC filter too. Good luck.

Thanks for your input good friend
smile.gif

It seems the tears keep occurring in the same place. I wonder if this is a manufacturer defect? For example, when they install that clip. Maybe the process is tearing the media at that point?

Originally Posted By: PimTac
It seems the tears keep occurring in the same place. I wonder if this is a manufacturer defect? For example, when they install that clip. Maybe the process is tearing the media at that point?

The wide pleat spaces near the splice is where the tears generally begin. This is a point of maximum stress for the filter media. If a clip is used, the clip has a temperature coefficient of expansion and the media has a different temperature coefficient of expansion. The difference in expansion rates will flex the media in the thermal cycle from cold to hot and hot to cold. This is in addition to the forces applied to the media due to differential pressure across the media. I remember discussions in the past the propensity for tears is greater with a clip than without the clip. But a clip aids assembly so some designs use a clip while others don't. It would be interesting to find that thread(s). The tearing does not happen right away. It takes several cycles.

I think this is both an engineering and manufacturing defect. Engineering in the design could be improved and manufacturing in there will be variability in the media and tolerances.

Last edited:
No excuse for this filter to tear at ~6k miles. Even if this filter was used in the harshest "special condition" possible, the bypass should have relieved the pressure differential before the media failed. Excellent C&P as usual Car51
wink.gif

My economy brake pads wore out at 20,000 miles.

Why didn't they last for 80,000 miles like the more expensive set?

Duh.....

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
... the tearing problem is caused by too wide of pleat spacing combined with brittle media that tears instead of flexing when oil flow force pushes the pleat sideways. That's why all the posted photos of torn media is at the seam where the pleats are widely spaced out. ...
That's generally true, in combination with FlyingVan's theory about too-rigid end caps. The pressure differential forces wide pleats inward, pulling against the end cap. Anything the reduces the pressure drop (thinner oil grade, hotter oil, lower engine speed, larger media area, less restrictive media ... ) reduces the risk.

Comparing with pics in the virgin MC910 post. Both have wide spaced pleats next to the metal crimp. The Motorcraft has tight spacing all the way around, except for the metal crimp area. IMO there is more flow and more wear next to the metal crimp because there is less resistance to flow through the wide spaced pleats. Spacing should be the same all the way around like this Denso filter is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back