Napa Pro Select cut up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't know if anyone is interested, but I was bored so I cut open this Napa Pro Select. This is their economy filter made by wix, aimed at service shops and such. Looks pretty well made, nothing special, but everything looks like it is put together well, like most Wix products. Not sure on the filter material, but it looks like some sort of paper. Cost was in the $2.xx range.

CIMG3157.jpg

CIMG3158.jpg

CIMG3160.jpg

CIMG3161.jpg

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/jdblya/summer%20time/CIMG3162.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm75/jdblya/summer%20time/CIMG3163.jpg

It is amazing to me that someone buys all that material assembles and makes all those parts, buys the ADBV from Parker, paints it, boxes it, ships it, has a profit on it, the retailer also has a profit on it, and its sold for $2-3. Looks like a good filter.

The filters say made in the usa, Gastonia NC (wix) I did notice the parker seal in there, stood out right away. But Wix also makes all of napa's filters, so I'm sure they are making money with the quantity of product that is being contracted or else they would not do it. But I know what you are saying.

For instance, I bought a amp wiring kit from a wholesaler I know, that came with a total of 23' 8ga wire, 2x' RCA cable, fuse holder, terminals, zip ties, etc, packaging, slow boat from china, and then I paid $5.99. So some how the the "Brand" has to make money on it selling to the wholesaler, and the wholesaler has to make money on it selling to me. Insane. Now, I know that the quality of this $5.99 "kit" is not that of some more expensive kits, but just everything that went into it is still impressive. World Economy I guess....

Originally Posted By: pzev
Yes, dome end bypass. Only the Napa golds have threaded end bypass valves.

What is the difference in these bypass types? and what is an advantage or disadvantage or one over the other?

With the dome end, the unfiltered oil passes over the outside of the filter to reach the dome end, possibly picking up dirt as it goes. I understand Ford is very picky about using thread end bypasses. GM puts them inside the engine itself.

Now that the ST 3950 is history, I am not accepting the L 10193 in its place partly because of its dome end bypass. Next oil change, I am going to check AZ for an STP.

Don't the bypass valves sometimes vary on the filter and the application? For instance, that filter I cut open is a 21356 Mitsubishi filter. I'm sure it is possible that your ford filter may have a different bypass valve in their same line?

Originally Posted By: labman
With the dome end, the unfiltered oil passes over the outside of the filter to reach the dome end, possibly picking up dirt as it goes. I understand Ford is very picky about using thread end bypasses. GM puts them inside the engine itself.

Now that the ST 3950 is history, I am not accepting the L 10193 in its place partly because of its dome end bypass. Next oil change, I am going to check AZ for an STP.

This is a picture of a 21516 (which would be a Wix 51516, fits a lot of Ford engines) and you can see that it is different. There is some sort of spring and seal stuff right at the end of the treads. The first filter I cut open did not have these parts. I need this filter, so I can't cut it open
frown.gif

CIMG3173.jpg

Very Nice Filter, buy some more at that price, however it is not made by WIX, my guess it is made by Hastings/Baldwin, the clues are the aluminum center core and by pass valve construction.

The 51516 also fits my car, and works in place for a lot of Chrysler cars too.. I have one in the cupboard for use with my next oil change on the Saturn. I'd like to see that one cut open actually!

Originally Posted By: Jdblya
It says Gastonia NC on it, which is Wix
That does not mean as much as you might think, I had a lawnmower that I used a Purolator oil filter on it and the box said Made in the USA, Purolator, I cut the first one open and it looked exactly like yours only smaller, I thought it was a Hastings filter by design, upon calling both Purolator and Hastings they both said it was made by Hastings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back