NAPA Platinums vs. Purolator Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
The PSL15436 I ordered was junk. Poorly assembled, wildly uneven pleats, glue (looked like black permatex) was everywhere, caps were on crooked and not even flat.

Both Platinum 47082s I've had are so well-constructed in comparison it's magical. I could not tear the endcaps off no matter how hard I tried, and the crimped seam was much nicer than the half-assedly glued seam on the Puro.

I also cut open and compared a PSL14476 and a Platinum 41394.

The PSL14476 was a lot better than the PSL15436 but the glue overspill was still worse than I'm used to, and whomever glued the seam went way overboard with the glue. It almost looked like the element wasn't cut long enough, or had been folded a few too many times and came up short, and they tried to fill the gap with glue. It probably wasn't really anything but a cosmetic problem but made me question the quality control.

The 41394 had perfectly even pleats, nice and tidy glueing, and a crimped seam. Construction-wise, absolutely nothing wrong that I could detect.

The Puro had a leaf spring whereas the Platinum had a coil spring for tension, if that matters to you.

Thanks for the feedback. Only reason I ordered the PSL was that AAP was giving a rebate and a gift card. Worked out to be around $7 a filter (ordered 9 PSL 14610) for the Puro Syn. I think the Platinums are a better filter ( I have 2, 47356), I just can't justify $5 more for it over the Puro syn.

Last edited:
I have experience with both; I have seen them on the shelf.

Now, I realize that my comment above really isn't a great analysis, but neither is holding them in your uncalibrated hands and judging weight, as if it has anything to do with filtration efficiency, or ability to perform the assigned tasks.

- Uneven pleats, while esthetically unappealing, has zero to do with filtration efficiency.
- Sloppily applied sealant, while wasteful and looking poor, does not assure the seal is ineffective.
- The ability to rip off an end-cap, has nothing to do with the ability of the filter to function, because the force of oil goes inward toward the center tube, and therefore puts pressure against the end-cap towards the media, not away from it.
- The function of the spring is to provide force; it's method of contstruction matters little, if any.

Now, I too, like a well made filter. I like to see a high quality component. But don't make unfair assumptions; it won't lead to good decisions.

I suspect either filter is way more capable than what most folks would give them credit for. Both are capable of normal OCIs and could probably go way longer than any typical BITOGer would ever consider leaving it on for. Most BITOGers change filters with their oil, and since they change oil too often, they also change filters too often.

Buy what you want; your decision is going to likely have zero real affect on wear protection in your application.

Last edited:
Which filter are you speaking about dnewton3?

I personally am impressed with the synthetic oil filter Napa Platinum! Very nice filter! With a good synthetic filter and synthetic oil....a 12 to 15 K OCI is very possible.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3
I have experience with both; I have seen them on the shelf.

Now, I realize that my comment above really isn't a great analysis, but neither is holding them in your uncalibrated hands and judging weight, as if it has anything to do with filtration efficiency, or ability to perform the assigned tasks.

None of that may matter to your engine but sloppy construction is still sloppy construction.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
Which filter are you speaking about dnewton3?

I personally am impressed with the synthetic oil filter Napa Platinum! Very nice filter! With a good synthetic filter and synthetic oil....a 12 to 15 K OCI is very possible.

I am speaking of both of them.

No one really likes a sloppy product; I too would not like it.

But we should not unfairly equate poor esthetics to a failure to perform a task. It's likely that both filter will do more than they are ever asked to do.

I just ran a Purolator Classic to 10k miles on a 10k mile OCI and had a great UOA. These two filters should be more capable than that, or they're not worth the investment.

Last edited:
To this day we still don't know the efficiency specs from the Platinum(disappointing) but both seem like a well built capable filter designed for long OCI,I'm currently running a Platinum on our Impala I'm on the second OCI with this same filter,when done i should have over 13k on the filter.

Pick one and go just make sure you run it out its capable and anything under 10k and your waisting a filter.

IMO....the Fram 'ULTRA'.....is the 'best bang for the buck' in filters with synthetic media. $8.97 at WalMart in most sizes. They can go up to 15K.

You should only buy a filter that is listed for the longer mileage. Using a filter that is beyond what it was intended is putting your engine at risk for a $5.00 filter.
Purolator filters are rated for 3000K only and the local Farm and Fleet sell them for $2.50 each on sale. The Mobil,Amsoil,Fram Extended,and some others are rated for longer mileage. The oil won't matter if the filter fails or clogs and the relief valve is open while running. The NAPA filter are made very well also and either would work, just stay within the mileage limit of the listing. I change filters sooner than my oil when useing synthetic oil,if I am using a less expensive filter. Oil is studied to death and filters should be included in most discussions about extended oils and problematic engines.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: asharris7
Thanks for the feedback. Only reason I ordered the PSL was that AAP was giving a rebate and a gift card. Worked out to be around $7 a filter (ordered 9 PSL 14610) for the Puro Syn. I think the Platinums are a better filter ( I have 2, 47356), I just can't justify $5 more for it over the Puro syn.

I did the with AAP. Ordered 12 PL10241's online to pick up in store for about $3.00 each with a coupon and Purolater rebate. They only had four PL's left, and the new PSL's were sitting nicely on the shelf and they gave me the PSL's for the same price of ~$3.
Someone had already switched a PL into a PSL box, and usually I check the box for proper filter from two prior incidents, and once I don't and BAM...

So, CHECK WHAT FILTER IS INSIDE THE BOX BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE, get home, drain your oil, and go to install the filter just to find it is the wrong one. And with no ride at the moment, I had to wait just over an hour for them to deliver the correct filter.
Be it just a cheaper filter in expensive filter box and someone got the expensive filter for cheap, or totally the wrong filter in the box

Originally Posted By: MinamiKotaro
The PSL15436 I ordered was junk. Poorly assembled, wildly uneven pleats, glue (looked like black permatex) was everywhere, caps were on crooked and not even flat.

Both Platinum 47082s I've had are so well-constructed in comparison it's magical. I could not tear the endcaps off no matter how hard I tried, and the crimped seam was much nicer than the half-assedly glued seam on the Puro.

I also cut open and compared a PSL14476 and a Platinum 41394.

The PSL14476 was a lot better than the PSL15436 but the glue overspill was still worse than I'm used to, and whomever glued the seam went way overboard with the glue. It almost looked like the element wasn't cut long enough, or had been folded a few too many times and came up short, and they tried to fill the gap with glue. It probably wasn't really anything but a cosmetic problem but made me question the quality control.

The 41394 had perfectly even pleats, nice and tidy glueing, and a crimped seam. Construction-wise, absolutely nothing wrong that I could detect.

The Puro had a leaf spring whereas the Platinum had a coil spring for tension, if that matters to you.

It is very interesting also to compare new Purolator synthetic oil filter and AMSOIL EAO filter.
(For example, Purolator PSL24651 vs AMSOIL EAO11.)

Which is more solid, has better filtering efficiency and why?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back