NAPA PLATINUM and Fran XP fails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
IMO there's nothing wrong with pleats bending a bit. Ive observed that even with OE filters in some applications with no ill effects.

The filter caps cause a bit of compression on the filter, especially if the torque rating isn't properly adhered to. There's no indication to me that the filter came apart while under compression in the canister. It's more likely to be an artifact of decompression and pulling it out.

There's no reason for the condition of these filters other than they're poorly constructed.

I've pulled out tons of cartridges made by Mann, Mahle, Hengst, and Purflux and none have looked like this, including one from a 750li that was packed solid with sludge. The factory-installed Mahle filter held it's shape perfectly, even after scooping out the sludge from between the pleats.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
2 different Frams? Only one you mentioned is the Fram Ultra XG10075 (Fram #10075 as you say), which I guess you were calling a 'fran xp', or 'Fram xp', depending on what you typed in the title or the first post.
Anyway, the truth is there is a cage inside the cap which keeps a filter from collapsing inward.
51c0GiM1wpL._SX355_.jpg

You are correct it is a fram xg, I mixed it up. I'm obviously well aware that there is a cage inside as I changed the filters. When I stated that there were 2 different frams, I was responding to a previous poster who thought the 2 pics of the fram filter was from the same physical filter. I was trying to state they are pictures of two completely different fram xg 10075, from 2 different cars.

Originally Posted By: das_peikko
Where's the NAPA Platinum failure? I don't see it.

You are technically correct that the NAPA was not torn or failed in that sense, however as I previously stated this was the condition after 5000 km. This filter should be able to go to 24 000 km, what would it look like then?? Also I stated that the oil was unable to drain through it at this time to allow the oil change. If you were counting on this filter to go the full oci I feel your car would be in bypass a long time.

Thus is the inside of the NAPA. You can see where the wire was pressed against the inner cage.

Fram, you can see where the media parted from the end cap and where the bonding or adhesive was.

Those ultra long oil change intervals that European automakers recommend, necessitate the construction of oil filters that simply in many cases do not filter nearly as efficiently as Fram Ultra and some other higher grade filters. I've always suspected that, at least in the past, the European spec cartridge filters favor flow over efficiency to achieve those long intervals. I always use Mann, Mahle, OEM, or other German brand whenever possible. I have used a couple Wix (made in Poland) cartridge oil filters in a pinch, and they seem to hold up ok.

Originally Posted By: Gixxer8989

Fram, you can see where the media parted from the end cap and where the bonding or adhesive was.

Not sure what you're pointing out in that photo ... the felt sealing ring around the center tube on the end cap?

Originally Posted By: Gixxer8989
... Fram, you can see where the media parted from the end cap and where the bonding or adhesive was.
Yuck, you're right! That must've been some poor or non-existent bonding.
When installed, are these filters subjected to constant endwise (axial) spring force (as with my Toyota cartridge, on which the spring force is about 7 pounds, regardless of torque applied to the cap)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back