NAPA (or other) brake rotors?

Time to replace the rotors on my 2002 Sienna. I already have the pads, Akebono, so I'm wondering if any of y'all had any particular problem with NAPA brake rotors.
They have some in the $60 range I'm looking at.

Yes. I know there are better more expensive ones, but I have to do the best I can with a budget I have. I'm trying to stay roughly in the $60 each range.

I was going to order from RockAuto, where I usually get most of my car parts, as they offer some very good ones for a much lower price, but by the time I add in the shipping I might as well go down to Napa or O'Reilly and get some.

I used napa premium rotors and they warped after 3k miles. No it wasn't my imagination or driving style.. Replaced with OEM fords and I've had 5k miles without issue. I have had some bad experiences with NAPA parts.. My opinion, others may very. Ironically the OEMs were less, I though I was buying better rotors. I always use OE rotors, if the price is insane for OE rotors, I have used bendix or wagner with succes.

Paying an extra 20$ per wheel so you know you don't have to tinker on the brakes again is worth it to me, IMHO...

I've used NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and AdaptiveOne pads on 3 vehicles for several years, and my buddy (who told me about them) on a couple more vehicles for even longer.

In all cases, years later they still look and perform like new.

Of course I'm very careful, checking rotor parallelism before mounting, and on-vehicle runout when mounted, and using approved lubes for caliper pins, slides, pad ears and pad backs.

I've used NAPA Ultra Premium rotors and AdaptiveOne pads on 3 vehicles for several years, and my buddy (who told me about them) on a couple more vehicles for even longer.

In all cases, years later they still look and perform like new.

Of course I'm very careful, checking rotor parallelism before mounting, and on-vehicle runout when mounted, and using approved lubes for caliper pins, slides, pad ears and pad backs.
This.. Gotta keep the calipers lubed, it seems my sweep spot is 6k.

Time to replace the rotors on my 2002 Sienna. I already have the pads, Akebono, so I'm wondering if any of y'all had any particular problem with NAPA brake rotors.
They have some in the $60 range I'm looking at.

Yes. I know there are better more expensive ones, but I have to do the best I can with a budget I have. I'm trying to stay roughly in the $60 each range.

I was going to order from RockAuto, where I usually get most of my car parts, as they offer some very good ones for a much lower price, but by the time I add in the shipping I might as well go down to Napa or O'Reilly and get some.

Thanks. But shipping to my area is $83, which would bring the price to over $200 for the pair.
Amazon ships for free, even without having Amazon prime, IF you spend the minimum amount and choose the slow free shipping without signing up for prime. And the cost of rotors it's certainly enough to qualify for the minimum required for free shipping.

Chinese rotors work just fine in many cases. I’m leery of getting rotors turned unless it was done by a competent operator. Unless you get lightweight ones or need high-carbon ones. A 2002 Sienna isn’t calling for high-carbon rotors, unlike the 2nd-3rd gen models(the OE Advics ones, cast in the US are high-carbon).

I’d take a good look at an aftermarket rotor - weigh it, look at the castings and see if any obvious lightweighting happened.

And the reason that you "need" new rotors is?
Had rotors and pads done in January of 2018. 39k miles ago.
It was done at a shop so I don't know what brand the rotors were. The invoice only says "premium". The pads were Posi Quiet brake pads.

Anyway my pads needed replacing and I had that done a couple weeks ago buy a friend who's a retired mechanic and now just keeps his hand in doing Shadetree work for a few friends.
I thought I could get by with the current rotors. A week later I'm getting new tires (at the shop that did the rotors and pads prior) and I took opportunity to take a better look at the rotors.

I asked the shop to look at them, with an eye toward turning them; (1) I didn't like the price for the turning service. (2) according to them the rotors were just barely above spec -based on the wosre one - to be turned. (3) brakes are squeaking like a mofo half the time stopping straight and all the time and worse while turning.

Sooo. If the pads being on there for three weeks are not screwed up from the old rotors 🤞 I'm hoping slapping on some new rotors will take care of that.

Should have done them when I did the pads, but I didn't really inspect them proper and have rotors ahead of time. I just knew my brake pads need replacing and I had those.

But penny-wise and pound-foolish, because now I got to pay my guy another $90 labor for the rotors.

Prior the pads were $90 and if I had done the rotors at the same time then it would have been just 10 more dollars.

Back