Napa is a joke

Looking to replace the battery in my 2018 Ram 5.7. Napa has 15% offer right now, so I thought I would take advantage of the deal. When I look up batteries, all three options say "Eligible for 15% off", that is of course until you go to checkout. Shopping cart says 15% off is only for eligible items...I guess I'm remembering why I gave up on Napa years ago. Smh

Looking to replace the battery in my 2018 Ram 5.7. Napa has 15% offer right now, so I thought I would take advantage of the deal. When I look up batteries, all three options say "Eligible for 15% off", that is of course until you go to checkout. Shopping cart says 15% off is only for eligible items...I guess I'm remembering why I gave up on Napa years ago. Smh

It’s their website, it’s clunky. Still got the best deals in town.

Last year I got 2 AGM batteries, a group 49 and 94r for $120 each at NAPA. 20% off plus $20 MIR.

This year I got an Odyssey H6 AGM for $206 and a magnaflow CARB catalytic converter that was $200 cheaper than anywhere else.

The few times I've gone to NAPA it seemed to me they were only catering to the local indy shops. Their stock was overpriced and dusty. DIY guys around here go there much.
My local Napa has almost no retail space, it always feels awkward going in there if you're not there to get right in and right out, I'd say well over 90% of their business is being a parts house for local shops.

Weird thing is, they’ve had some decent battery deals lately, like the $77 EP Proformer I just picked up for the xB in the past couple weeks. I didn’t realize some stores didn’t participate in them.

Subways are mostly all independent franchises. Back in the day Subway had some of the best franchising deals out there for a food chain with relatively low startup costs. Lately, however, the Subway brand and sales have been down.

If the owner doesn't feel like coupons help their business, then they don't have to accept them. It's going to depend on the franchise agreement.

I'd always heard that there are Napa Company stores and independent franchises. There used to be a way to tell them apart I've since forgotten. From what I recall the independent franchises are/were not under obligation to match nationally advertised deals, but the company stores were.

Its pretty rare I get something from them, so who knows if things have changed.

There's this cool thing for problems like that. Check it out:

iphone.jpg

You can talk straight to the store without using cans and string, sort stuff out right away.

Our local NAPA is a gem - good prices, good quality, knowledgeable and friendly people. I use it almost exclusively vs. the O'Reillys and Autozone in town. I also use the online store and order there quite a lot and don't have any major issues with it normally.

And in fact they have had the best price/quality battery deals lately; got one earlier this year.

The website is getting better but still not perfect. I noticed the same, I just went to the store and they gave me the 20% Aaa October discount

I used that 15% OFF to get two jugs of Castrol IMV shipped. It beat Amazon.
Uh, 20% AAA? I thought the AAA would be 10% so I didn't even look. Da*%

I have noticed a lot of the stuff they have online are not being carried in the stores, instead they stock cheap dorman crap. I needed a pair of 55mm band clamps, they pulled out the old dorman but online they list an oeteker style, no go. I found them at a dealer for $1.49ea in stock

AAA has a different starting price point, so the discount isn't as good as it seems. I've walked out without parts over it before.

I used to get good deal on Schaefer oil at NAPA. Now they don't have it,so they lost my business.

NeedAPartA*&hole's site gives you $5 loyalty credits for X amount purchased, but they don't (or at least wouldn't) let you stack the rewards which I personally think is lame. If you're willing to give me $5 off a single purchase why not give me $20 off a purchase later if I've spent enough $$$ with you to warrant that "reward"???

Guys who are confused about corporate vs privately franchised NAPA stores must live in major metropolitan areas. In 99.9% of small towns -----at least in CO and UT ----- they're privately owned.

I'd always heard that there are Napa Company stores and independent franchises. There used to be a way to tell them apart I've since forgotten. From what I recall the independent franchises are/were not under obligation to match nationally advertised deals, but the company stores were.

Its pretty rare I get something from them, so who knows if things have changed.

There are roughly 6000 NAPA parts stores in the US, and 1200 ish of them are company owned. The rest are independent locations, and can honor coupons if they want (or not).

Around here, I typically go to the non-corporate owned Napa stores (If it says Geniune Parts Company - its a company store) if I am buying at Napa.

Another sign of a franchise store is that it is open only during "normal business hours" on weekdays with no, or very limited, evening and weekend hours. In other words, the franchise stores are closed when you are able to get parts after work and on weekends. This is a lousy business model for mom-and-pop stores, by the way, unless you intend to sell only to government agencies and other businesses. This gets back to some of your comments about stores catering to auto shops and not to retail customers.

I hear NAPA corporate is pushing some of the franchise stores to extend hours, participate in promotions, and contribute to local NAPA advertising. One near me closed because the owner was old and didn't want to have to do any of that. So watch for this with the franchise stores near you. They'll either change or close.

Back