Napa Gold/Wix fails on my 3.8 Windstar!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I believe I read a post a while back on one of the seams failing. Well, mine started to weep a the top seam. Replaced the filter and problem is fixed. Any other Napa Golds or Wix's failed lately for any of U?

I have used a number of wix's and never had a problem.

like with any filter there will be a issue every now and then. Like the ST that had messed up threads.

The problem comes when the same issue repeats for a long time and over and over. (cough, fram, cough.)

Originally Posted By: defektes
I have used a number of wix's and never had a problem.

like with any filter there will be a issue every now and then. Like the ST that had messed up threads.

The problem comes when the same issue repeats for a long time and over and over. (cough, fram, cough.)

I have never had a problem with any Wix filter.

What is the same issue you have seen with Frams?

There are plenty of reported cases not only on this forum but other forums I have visited throughout the years that have claimed frams basically self destructed and sent peices of the filter into the engine.

Also plenty of pictures here showing the cheap construction of the filter allowing it to collapse on itself. Basically allowing un filtered oil to go into your engine all the time because its stuck open.

I have personally encountered a distorted fram oil filter that was for my pontiac. This was manny years ago when they had the Allied Signal stamp and not the honneywell one.

I used to use fram filters religiously untill I found all this on this web not only here but many other sites and forums. I find that even 3 dollars is too expensive for a shoddy filter. I can get a ST for less and IMO it is better construction.

But I will admit fram makes good air filters, fuel, tranny filters, and other products that are quality. Even the Xtendedguard filter is something I would run if I ever did synthetics.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
I believe I read a post a while back on one of the seams failing. Well, mine started to weep a the top seam. Replaced the filter and problem is fixed. Any other Napa Golds or Wix's failed lately for any of U?

And this issue filtered into some of the EaO's too. I'm sure it could have any number of potential origins ..everything from some issue on the seam forming/rolling process to some routine PM that was reduced in some attempt to "do more with less". That's the great thing about the information age. With the lot # ..any single defect can be traced back to a line/shift/minute ..and I'm sure somewhere back in their documentation ...the whole list of materials used with their lot numbers ..etc. Which means if it cost them some money ..that the bozo who told the line PM technician to eliminate that step so he could lay off one process tech ..probably got a memo ..or a meeting with the bigger boss.

I had a problem with a gasket leaking on a Napa ProSelect (made by the same people) so all I did was go under the car and re-tighten the filter even tighter and the leak went away. I know I tightened the filter properly the first time, but it somehow came slightly undone over the course of a few hundred miles. Perhaps that's the case with some of these?

Originally Posted By: BovineScapegoat
Originally Posted By: Carzzz
nope...
but i can surely give it a try!

Carzzz... what oil is "FS 5W30"?

Probably Formula Shell.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: Carzzz
It is Forumla Shell!

edit* The filter is loose indeed...thanks!
I will continue observe for leak!

11.gif
I make no promises, but hopefully that did the trick!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back