Napa Gold vs Fram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree - depends on the application. On the Jeep, I'll use Fram air filters without a second thought, same with the Napa Gold.

On the F150, I stopped using fram when they switched the style pleats on the cone so they didn't follow the contours of the airbox anymore. The Napa does, and fits perfect, while the Fram has too much slop.

I know I'm about 2 months late to the party, but just in case any of you were still curious.. the picture is shown clean side up. My civic uses the same model and I just changed mine..

I actually prefer Fram, and the reasoning is every single NAPA/Wix filter I put in any car does not fit right. While the STP and Frams have always seated and sealed well on my cars. FWIW

Originally Posted By: panthermike
I haven't heard any complaints about Fram air filters, I use them all of the time.

I have complained about Fram air filters. In the CA3902 (A925C) application, I have had nothing but bad experiences. They fit fine but the filter medium disintegrates, leaving a thick coating of paper fibers on the MAF screen. It looks like a clothes dryer lint trap!

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Air filter quality is not consistent across any brand's entire line.

One needs to investigate several brands of air filters for any particular car model to at least pick one the fits well and "looks" of high quality.

Amen to that!

We saw a newer Fram cabin filter at W'mart last night, and I actually liked the design of it, and may throw one in the cart someday.
55.gif

Originally Posted By: RacerE7773
We saw a newer Fram cabin filter at W'mart last night, and I actually liked the design of it, and may throw one in the cart someday.
55.gif

I have in my car now... It's very well built.

I won`t touch their oil filters, but I`ve always used Fram air filters. Not because there`s anything exceptional about them, just because they accomplish what they`re intended to do and I`ve never had any issues with seating them, etc. I just swap and toss every 12k miles as per the recommendation on the box.

Cheap hassle free maintenance item.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I`ve always used Fram air filters. Not because there`s anything exceptional about them, just because they accomplish what they`re intended to do and I`ve never had any issues with seating them, etc. I just swap and toss every 12k miles as per the recommendation on the box.

Cheap hassle free maintenance item.

-Spyder

Smart man.

And as Bill in Utah has posted, he always gets low silicon values on UOA with Fram air filters.

It is possible the filters are exactly the same and came out of the same factory in China, Korea or some place. When I bought my new model year Subaru it had a totally new filter design. Frame, Purolator, Wix etc filters were all the same. For my application I am pretty sure the were all buying the filter from the same supplier and putting it their packaging. I believe Frame, Purolater, Wix etc buy a lot of filters from third party manufactures and re-box them.

Originally Posted By: hofcat
It is possible the filters are exactly the same and came out of the same factory in China, Korea or some place. When I bought my new model year Subaru it had a totally new filter design. Frame, Purolator, Wix etc filters were all the same. For my application I am pretty sure the were all buying the filter from the same supplier and putting it their packaging. I believe Frame, Purolater, Wix etc buy a lot of filters from third party manufactures and re-box them.

It's possible, but the rubber to seal the filter are different. They are slightly different shape.

I've had some failed Frams... the cone shaped ones with the black end cap seem to have a high failure rate on the black cap coming unglued... then it's no good. I'm a little weird in that I like my filters to "match"... stupid I know. Once I decided against fram for Oil filters and PCV valves, I dropped ALL of their products in favor of something else... Purolator at first.... Now it's Hastings.

I've seen various filter's rubber gasket fall apart like it rotted super fast. Since my Federated/Hastings switch over, I havn't had any air filter issues.... Most every car in my driveway is loaded with Hastings... Trans pan, air filter, fuel filter, oil filter. They just work... don't leak, and go the distance. It's been about 3 years on the Hastings "plan" with no negative results. Unless you consider my mechanic buddy's screw up. The Oil Filter gasket on a Hastings needs only to be hand tightened... he wrenched tightened 2 of them, and couldn't remove them 5K miles later. LOL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back