Napa Gold versus ProSelect Air Filters?

They appear to be the same except for the sub-brand name. Interesting!!!! Class action suit time????

They likely use a different filter media and would have different efficiencies. I would ask to see both in person to see if there are any more details on the boxes.

For quality, probably not much. A clean filter is better than a dirty one. Get the cheaper filter and live on.

I know from experience with my 2019 Nissan Pathfinder, the Napa pro-select version of the engine air filter doesn't have the wire mesh on the clean side of the filter element for this particular part #. This allows the filter to sag into the housing and come unseated from the sides, allowing for unfiltered air to enter. I didn't know until it ruined the OEM MAF sensor.

This happens, sometimes.

For some cartridge filters, I found Purolator classic, P1, and Boss to all have the exact same filter, but this was an oil filter. I have no reason to doubt they wouldn't do the same with air filters.

Napa Gold vs Napa Pro select side to side.
Ford Taurus Vulcan V6.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211018-010351.jpg
    Screenshot_20211018-010351.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 802
With all the changes under MH, who knows. There used to be clear differences between the two lines, but now it seems that everything’s changing, so all bets are off.

There is certainly a difference between the two. For example, compare a Napa Gold oil filter vs the pro select. The gold is a wix filter that uses a higher quality bypass valve made of neoprene sealing media vs rubber in the pro select. The filter media has significantly more pleats and therefore more dirt capacity in the gold part. The select uses a paper filtration media and the gold uses a synthetic media, the canister is heavier gage steel that is more reluctant to crushing as well as a synthetic sealing gasket that is more easily removed when it is time to change. The gold is good for 12,000-mile change intervals vs the select's 7,500-mile interval. The gold air filter has a much larger filtering capacity via more pleats which equals a much larger area to hold dirt. The gold air filter uses, yup, you guessed it, synthetic fibers vs fiberglass media. the gold meets or exceeds OEM specs, the select does not make such a claim. Is it worth the extra cost? If using the unit where the lawn has a lot of bare areas where fine dust is being kicked up, certainly. If you have a well grown lawn with little dust, it is probably overkill. The pressure drop across the filters is slightly higher with the gold but not enough to have any impact on performance. Purchasing these cheap 10 dollars for 5 filters is crazy if you want to get the maximum life from the engine. Air filtration is the most critical item on the engine to prevent cylinder and valve wear as well as longer oil life. It is the only pathway for dirt ingestion. On the topic of cleaning, NEVER ever use an air compressor to blow dirt out, it disrupts the laymen of the media fibers causing the media to become nearly useless. The only method of cleaning is to slap the pleated side against a flat surface until no loose dust remains.

I bought a NAPA Gold air filter for my Jeep, says made in China. Are they any good?

Back