NAPA GOLD.....Maybe not....

He also has parts confused between the filters early on, so I don't know that we can put a lot of weight in the leaf spring coming from the PG filter. The ADBV does look like a PG made filter though.
Yeah, initially he couldn't find the (flat) spring for the Napa Gold. "Apparently" had misplaced it on top of the MGSelect, which everyone here knows uses a coil spring that he had. So, unless he gathered that flat spring from some other random filter c&p it would 'seem' correct. That said, I guess can't rule it out. Only way to know for sure, would be to see another current Napa Gold 7502 cut open.

Other than the fact that Napa Gold has a new manufacturer, I didn't learn much. His conclusions otherwise, mostly subjective imo.

I think people are over analysing this video. I think the only thing that he intended to convey was that Napa Golds were no longer Wix. He may have taken a round-about way of doing it, but my feeling is that is all it was about?

I think an important thing about this video is that the guy has a Chinese Housewife Hair Bun installed on the back of his head...

side-portrait-laughing-young-asian-600nw-1327361573.jpg

Screenshot 2024-05-01 12.03.03 PM.jpg

At 2:50 he mentions that the "Wix man" said the NAPA Gold is "more of a MircoGard filter", so basically a Premium Guard, made in China version similar to the STP XL line a AutoZone, but without a red silicone base gasket. Might not be extended life either.

If I’m buying a canister oil filter, it WILL NOT be a WIX. The quality has fallen off since their purchase by Mann+Hummel. Purolatoritis has infected the product line. For a cartridge type filter, WIX is still okay because you can see what you are buying.
I suspect NAPA had two reasons for dropping WIX as their supplier. One was price and the other was quality.

"This year’s recipient has gone above and beyond in delivering quality products, leading the charge in category management, and elevating overall quality standards,” said Medhavin Potdar, Director of Product Engineering and Quality at NAPA Auto Parts.

Napa Gold was never Wix "Gold", no such thing as the latter. In the past, Napa Gold has been the "standard Wix labeled" filter(s). In short, looks like Napa has changed suppliers for their "Gold" filters.

That said, surprised to see the stamped flat spring on NG. From what I've seen PG made filters use a coil compression spring, like the MG Select in the vid. So other than being made China, I'm unsure who makes the NG shown in the video.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I recently cut open a NAPA 7055 that was made in China and it has a coil spring. The filter looked great, and I'll post pictures soon. While the country of origin is not ideal for economic and political reasons, I have no reason to doubt the quality. Looks to be from Premium Guard like the other recent NAPA filters. Definitely not a WIX.

I recently cut open a NAPA 7055 that was made in China and it has a coil spring. The filter looked great, and I'll post pictures soon. While the country of origin is not ideal for economic and political reasons, I have no reason to doubt the quality. Looks to be from Premium Guard like the other recent NAPA filters. Definitely not a WIX.
I have to agree. The majority of the Premium Guard filters that we’ve seen here have been excellent.

That said, surprised to see the stamped flat spring on NG. From what I've seen PG made filters use a coil compression spring, like the MG Select in the vid. So other than being made China, I'm unsure who makes the NG shown in the video.¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The WIX in this video looks like a rebranded Purolator on the bypass valve and endcap design. We know that MANN+HUMMEL will source the same filter model from different factories (like most companies).

I wonder if the springs were accidentally swapped between the WIX and NAPA filter. The coil spring on the WIX looks like it would be jammed against the bypass valve when assembled... not good.

It is weird to see him complain about the excess glue on the NAPA filter. It looked fine to me and I found the glue job on the WIX to be much sloppier.

The WIX in this video looks like a rebranded Purolator on the bypass valve and endcap design. We know that MANN+HUMMEL will source the same filter model from different factories (like most companies).

I wonder if the springs were accidentally swapped between the WIX and NAPA filter. The coil spring on the WIX looks like it would be jammed against the bypass valve when assembled... not good.

It is weird to see him complain about the excess glue on the NAPA filter. It looked fine to me and I found the glue job on the WIX to be much sloppier.
M&H has been 'moving; "Wix labeled" filters more towards the Purolator type design for a while now. As for factory source, when it comes to the US made filters because of changes it's getting tougher to figure, but many times date format and font a good clue. F suffix still always going to be out the Purolator plant in Fayetteville. That as opposed to Wix plant.

Watching again, I think you 'could be' on to something, with the possibility that the "Wix labeled" had the flat stamped spring, not the Napa Gold. That would explain the NG whose element looks to be PG with the flat spring. It would also be a 'HUGE screw up' by the you tube maker here. It would pretty much explain it all. Wix shown does use the long time Purolator type flat spring bypass. Good catch. Otoh, Bad job by yt maker.

Fwiw, I also didn't think glue on the new Napa Gold was any issue. One of the reasons why I said, found his conclusions mostly subjective.

"This year’s recipient has gone above and beyond in delivering quality products, leading the charge in category management, and elevating overall quality standards,” said Medhavin Potdar, Director of Product Engineering and Quality at NAPA Auto Parts.
I think PG is rapidly conquering the jobber/low end filter space; but, beating Mann isn't all that tough!

Yeah, I think the YT guy mixed up the coil and leaf springs between the NAPA Gold and WIX. Whip City cut-open 1 month ago shows two M+H made filters with the flat spiral bypass valve spring, and both use a leaf spring in the dome. PG made filters seem to always use a coil spring.

Last edited:
Back