NAPA GOLD 1516 Cut Open

This was on my 2007 F150, 4.2 V6, 160K miles.
Drained Amsoil SS 5W30 3.5K miles.
M1-209 went back on with Havoline Pro-DS 5W30.

NG-1.jpgNG-2.jpgNG-3.jpgNG-4.jpgNG-5.jpgNG-6.jpgNG-7.jpg

The sheet metal spring is a new feature. Can you give us a picture of the bottom of guts? And, a picture of the can? Is the can white?

Nice filter. Next change on one of my Mazda trucks I’m putting on a Napa platinum that I got on sale going to run it for 3,000 so hopefully it will hold up like this one.

I have no idea. This filter was bought by my son June 2020 from NAPA in Ascension Parish.
And, there was no label on the filter. It was in a NG-1516 box.
While it may have been in a 1516 box, with the exception of adbv similarity, doesn't look like any Napa Gold/(Wix labeled) I've ever seen. Never seen a NG/(Wix) with an element integrated thread end bypass and flat/leaf type compression spring. Looks most like Champ Labs made filter, specifically an M1 (type) that was previously made by Champ Labs (before the change of manufacturer). Link below* shows a good comparison of Wix, M1 and RP. Note similarity between M1/K&N and topic filter. So imo and observation, a Champ Labs made filter in an Napa Gold box. Like to see pics of dome date code and other side of baseplate for more confirmation.

https://www.thevog.net/threads/royal-purple-vs-mobil-one-vs-wix-vs-k-n-vs-amsoil-oil-filters.54346/

That said, filter looks fine. Just not a Napa Gold/(Wix labeled) filter imo.

While it may have been in a 1516 box, with the exception of adbv similarity, doesn't look like any Napa Gold/(Wix labeled) I've ever seen. Never seen a NG/(Wix) with an element integrated thread end bypass and flat/leaf type compression spring. Looks most like Champ Labs made filter, specifically an M1 (type) that was previously made by Champ Labs (before the change of manufacturer). Link below* shows a good comparison of Wix, M1 and RP. Note similarity between M1/K&N and topic filter. So imo and observation, a Champ Labs made filter in an Napa Gold box. Like to see pics of dome date code and other side of baseplate for more confirmation.

https://www.thevog.net/threads/royal-purple-vs-mobil-one-vs-wix-vs-k-n-vs-amsoil-oil-filters.54346/

That said, filter looks fine. Just not a Napa Gold/(Wix labeled) filter imo.
🤷‍♂️ :unsure:

Yeah it's a tad of a mystery. Using OF Xref site, topic filter crosses to M1-209, one of which has been posted this forum, HERE. Note what looks to be identical to topic construction.

There is another possibility, that Napa has changed manufacturers for thier Gold filters. Considering the long standing relationship of Napa with Wix, I would consider it a remote possibility.

Last edited:
I just took a peek down my newer Wix 51516 and indeed it does appear to have a coil spring at the base of the filter. Your picture shows it too if you look closely. I don't think it's the stamped leaf part that is the spring relief mechanism? Not entirely sure how it works just by looking at the picture.

In comparison I also have a Wix 51334 for a Hyundai application and it uses the coil spring relief valve that you would expect at the end of the filter cap.

Back