Napa/Gates/Dayco Radiator hoses

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Back to spring clamps. We stopped reusing them due to all the combacks when we reused one.

Sounds like installer error to me.
27.gif

To be fair, it's pretty hard to mess a hose clamp up. The only other variable would be pulling a Trav and using some sealant. That would stop the leak for sure.

I reused some smaller constant tension clamps on my truck. They leaked at the heater core and the water pump inlet/ outlet pipes from day one. I switched them out with the nice ones from NAPA mentioned in my above post.

Well, the Napa hoses were complete [censored]. Made by gates; the bottom one didn't fit at all - hit the slave cylinder; the factory one is straight, all the aftermarket ones have a weird bend. The top one was 1/2 inch short. Reused the old ones as they are still in good shape. I have no clue what to do if I need replacing the old ones. Not spending 100 bucks at the dealer Found an Australian company called Mackay that looks good - straight like the factory one.

I really despise aftermaket auto parts. I don't know how the bar can keep getting lower but it does.

I replaced the radiator on my 2003 Matrix with the Denso radiator and it has been great. I also replaced both hoses with Gates bought from Rock Auto and the fitment was perfect. The factory spring clamps went on without much trouble and it's been through 2 winters without any leaks. Highly recommend Gates hoses and to reuse the factory spring clamps, at least with Toyotas.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
Throw those factory clamps in the trash! They are generally a 1 time use. Once removed they often let the hose leak. I work at a radiator shop and hate spring clamps with a passion! Get a quality screw clamp. Recheck it after a few weeks and your good to go.

If you remove them with a good tool like the Mayhew 28680 pliers and then reinstall the clamps back on the hose in the same position they were before they came off (by lining them up with the original inprint they made in the rubber) they won't leak.

https://images.homedepot-static.com/prod...680-64_1000.jpg

Originally Posted By: Drew99GT
Well, the Napa hoses were complete [censored].

I know Napa is supposed to be made by Gates. But I wonder if the original Gates are any different? How about Goodyear hoses?

For some reason, all the aftermarket hoses, from what I can tell, are made for automatic trans equipped Corollas of this vintage - the factory automatic radiators are about a half inch thicker and require a bend in the lower hose to clear the radiator fan motor. My car has a manual trans and that bend makes the hose interfere with the slave cylinder.

I've had hit or miss with Gates hoses, I prefer OEM if the bends are too complex.

I also prefer OEM-style spring clamps. If I have to use worm-drive clamps, I much prefer German-style Gema or Norma - Amazon sells those as Precision Brand metric stainless clamps.

Originally Posted By: Rock_Hudstone

Reuse the factory hoses if they look okay.

They are likely better quality then anything found aftermarket these days and can last the life of the vehicle unless oil damaged and such.

I always reuse factory clamps as well, never had a leak. those stainless worm drive clamps chew up hoses.

I agree, and I always reuse these:
41dbHFQbDqL._SX355_.jpg

When the stupid mechanic threw them away, I went to the junkyard and got some used OE ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back