Cooling hose spring clamps questions

I want to replace the cooling system and heater hoses on my 2010 Toyota Yaris with 145k miles.

The Gates hoses that I bought are thicker than the OEM hoses that are on my car. So the original clamps are too small for the new Gates hoses. I replaced the upper radiator hose with a new Gates hose. But I was only able to attach the new Gates hose by twisting and bending one of the original spring clamps ten different ways and had to use a worm drive clamp at the other end. Spring clamps are necessary because they maintain tension on the hose when the hose expands and contracts from temperature changes.

I don't know which size spring clamps to buy because I don't know what the outer diameter the hoses will be when they are attached. I searched for spring clamp assortments that include clamps that would fit my new hoses when the hoses are attached but could not find one.

Do you know of an assortment or particular spring clamps that would fit Gates hoses? Should I simply add the extra thickness of the Gates hoses to the diameter of the original hoses and buy clamps that would fit that diameter? Thanks for any replies.

I never had a leak problem with worm screw clamps and that's what I would be using. I fthey are tightened correctly when cold, there shouldn't be any leak issues when the hose warms up. I think you making a science project out of a simple task.

I never had a leak problem with worm screw clamps and that's what I would be using. I fthey are tightened correctly when cold, there shouldn't be any leak issues when the hose warms up. I think you making a science project out of a simple task.
So long as the hose nipples are metal. Most newer radiators have plastic flanges. And, worm clamps can deform the plastic, causing leaks.

I have never used hose pinching pliers or hose pinching clamps, so I was not aware how effective they are or how much they damage hoses. But I did a little research and found that they are safe and effective. I'll get a set of pinching clamps or pinching pliers in order to take the measurements.

These constant tension clamps have been absolutely bullet proof for me. I'll never use the worm style again. With a little bit of searching you'll find plenty of other sizes also.

Linky.

Screenshot_20210313-071939.png

Does the clamp go over the hose without putting it over the ridge in the nipple? If so put it on the hose nipple first then put the hose on and the clamp.
If you cant find the same type camps there are special constant tension clamps that use Belleville washer springs or Gates make heat shrink clamps.
Stay away from regular worm clamps they are the biggest pain in the backside (along with standard muffler clamps) ever foisted on the industry and should be banned IMO, they are especially bad when used on plastic fitting in cold climates.

I like the Constant Pressure Clamps that Imp4 shows a photo of.
It's recommended to NOT reuse them because they can loose their tightness.

Alot of discussion here about hose clamps.
Generally, the Constant Tension are favored, and the 'plain' Worm Screw are disliked.

McMaster Carr generally has two day delivery / with $8.00 shipping

I must be in the minority here but I prefer worm gear clamps and replace every pinch style clamp with that style. I can’t stand the pinch style ones they are a pain. I’ve never had an issue replacing all my clamps and clamps on customer cars with those. That’s what I would do I’ve been taught it’s ok to do so I have no problem doing it.

I must be in the minority here but I prefer worm gear clamps and replace every pinch style clamp with that style. I can’t stand the pinch style ones they are a pain. I’ve never had an issue replacing all my clamps and clamps on customer cars with those. That’s what I would do I’ve been taught it’s ok to do so I have no problem doing it.
I was going to say the exact same thing. I’ve never even heard of replacing a spring clamp with another spring clamp. always figured spring clamps were the cheap and easy alternative to the factory and when you service the cooling system go with a worm clamp. Done.

I‘ve seen more spring clamps fail than I’ve ever seen a worm clamp fail. I’ve seen spring clamps broken right in half (and leak). I’ve seen them rotted and rusted right into the hose. And never mind the difficulty of removing them after 7-10 years. My lord!

Ive never run into these issues with worm clamps. I’ve never run into issues with expansion or anything else with a worm clamp either.

Its hard to argue against the benefits of constant tension. Worm clamps have proven themselves inferior. Just one of many articles.

I was going to say the exact same thing. I’ve never even heard of replacing a spring clamp with another spring clamp. always figured spring clamps were the cheap and easy alternative to the factory and when you service the cooling system go with a worm clamp. Done.

I‘ve seen more spring clamps fail than I’ve ever seen a worm clamp fail. I’ve seen spring clamps broken right in half (and leak). I’ve seen them rotted and rusted right into the hose.

Ive never run into these issues with worm clamps. I’ve never run into issues with expansion or anything else with a worm clamp either.
Yeah and usually I end up breaking the spring style ones anyway especially if they are in weird angles where my pliers won’t fit. I always keep the worm gear ones on hand to replace others with. I think we can both agree it would be easier to fit something like a screwdriver or nut driver in a tight spot to get a worm gear clamp off than trying to fit a huge set of pliers in there to take the pinch style off with. And I’ve found the worm gear ones easier to source too. The only place that sells the spring ones around me is Ace Hardware and they sell them individually but only in smaller sizes so yeah I’m definitely using the worm gear.

Its hard to argue against the benefits of constant tension. Worm clamps have proven themselves inferior. Just one of many articles.

I have never seen that before. But I fully trust you. I need to invest in those tools it was my understanding those were just for certain import cars but it looks like they work for every car. The thing about this industry is we hear stuff and we like to listen like my teacher telling us always replace the spring clamps with the worm gear ones. I have always believed they were better than the pinch style spring ones. I even invested in some stubby nut drivers for those worm gear ones 🙁.

Yeah and usually I end up breaking the spring style ones anyway especially if they are in weird angles where my pliers won’t fit. I always keep the worm gear ones on hand to replace others with. I think we can both agree it would be easier to fit something like a screwdriver or nut driver in a tight spot to get a worm gear clamp off than trying to fit a huge set of pliers in there to take the pinch style off with. And I’ve found the worm gear ones easier to source too. The only place that sells the spring ones around me is Ace Hardware and they sell them individually but only in smaller sizes so yeah I’m definitely using the worm gear.
There is a tool to take off spring clamps, but it’s bulky and the problem with it is...it doesn’t fit where it needs to go! 80% of the time I can’t get this thing onto a spring clamp. So it’s pliers, the struggle, cut knuckles, more pliers, more cut knuckle. And if that doesn’t work? it’s getting cut off. I hate spring clamps. And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen those hoses leaking right at the spring clamp because it broke (rusted and cracked, or split, or snapped in half). Just sitting there doing nothing while coolant is leaking out.

Last edited:
There is a tool to take off spring clamps, but it’s bulky and the problem with it is...it doesn’t fit we’re it needs to go! 80% of the time I can’t get this thing onto a spring clamp. So it’s pliers, the struggle, cut knuckles, more pliers, more cut knuckle. And if that doesn’t work? it’s getting cut off. I hate spring clamps. And I can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen those hoses leaking right at the spring clamp because it broke (rusted and cracked, or split, or snapped in half). Just sitting there doing nothing while coolant is leaking out.
I agree. I get chills when I think about all the times I’ve hurt myself taking those things off. The other day when I was working on the Escape I replaced everyone of the pinch style ones with worm gear ones it was on the vacuum hoses and stuff I’m like yeah I’m not fooling with those and my dad agreed. The people at work agree too and replace all of them too. I’ve never had the worm gear ones rust or anything either. Some of the hoses I’ve seen even have the worm gear ones riveted or made onto the hose so they can’t be replaced especially on the older Fords. I never have used the spring clamp tool my teacher always said they were a waste of money anyway and just replace the clamps which is what me and you agree on too lol.

I want to replace the cooling system and heater hoses on my 2010 Toyota Yaris with 145k miles.

The Gates hoses that I bought are thicker than the OEM hoses that are on my car. So the original clamps are too small for the new Gates hoses. I replaced the upper radiator hose with a new Gates hose. But I was only able to attach the new Gates hose by twisting and bending one of the original spring clamps ten different ways and had to use a worm drive clamp at the other end. Spring clamps are necessary because they maintain tension on the hose when the hose expands and contracts from temperature changes.

I don't know which size spring clamps to buy because I don't know what the outer diameter the hoses will be when they are attached. I searched for spring clamp assortments that include clamps that would fit my new hoses when the hoses are attached but could not find one.

Do you know of an assortment or particular spring clamps that would fit Gates hoses? Should I simply add the extra thickness of the Gates hoses to the diameter of the original hoses and buy clamps that would fit that diameter? Thanks for any replies.
Had a mid-2000's Subaru which had hoses and radiator replaced, mechanic used screw type clamps. Every few months I had to torque them down or I'd notice coolant loss and, if I looked hard enough, would find the crust from where the hose connected. Just an FYI if you end up using screw clamps, might not be a bad monthly "check it" item. And, with a Subaru of that vintage, my thought was always *another head gasket, water pump, or loose clamp?"

Had a mid-2000's Subaru which had hoses and radiator replaced, mechanic used screw type clamps. Every few months I had to torque them down or I'd notice coolant loss and, if I looked hard enough, would find the crust from where the hose connected. Just an FYI if you end up using screw clamps, might not be a bad monthly "check it" item. And, with a Subaru of that vintage, my thought was always *another head gasket, water pump, or loose clamp?"
This is a common problem with Subaru at the thermostat housing connection. Use Hylomar on the housing nipple before installing the hose and use one of these belleville spring clamps..

clamp.jpg

Notice the holes of the clamp do not contact the hose.

Back