NAPA 3003 Fuel Filter as PS Filter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went looking for a Magnefine filter for the PS system on the Hondas. The Magnefine I found was bigger than I thought and cost $27.

I asked to see the other 3/8" ones they had at NAPA and found the 3003 Gold Fuel Filter.

filter002.jpg

Construction was nice, with the poly body. The flow seems fine, zero resistance to blowing. Price was awesome UNDER $5!

I figure the MF was overkill for a PS system, where loading is minimal. Just trying to improve on the fluid condition, not get too carried away. The extra clear body is nice too, for inspecting the loading situation.

filter005.jpg

So, it's a fuel filter, but I took the plunge. The smaller size meant a MUCH better fit. Fitting the MF would have actually been tough and getting a crimp in the hoses would be bad. The thing is directional, fwiw.

So, no pic of it, but the filter filled right up with the red tint of ATF+4 leftover in my PS system. Cutting the hose plus the extra capacity of the filter added up to exactly 12oz top-off, one bottle of Honda PSF.

filter007.jpg

My only regret is I did not get two, the old CRV probally needs it worse than my car.

imo, definately better then MF as far as ease of install and price.

I wondering if the fuel filter works for tranny fluid? The plastic probably won't be able to withstand the hot ATF.

Last edited:
You can't really tell in the pics, but the body is good poly carbon. I don't think the fluid temps are too crazy, but it's a legit question. It's easy to keep an eye on the thing. I'm not worried.

btw-the size is ideal. Just about as big as a prescription pill bottle or bobbin of thread.

Also, I found the inline ATF filter when I was digging around under the hood. Right on top of the trans, driver's side.

Oh, I see "tranny fluid". I was reading too fast.

Maybe if you were shure to hit the return-from-cooler line where temps will be lower.

In my app, the reservior-out line would the coolest and prefered, but that hose is fatter and shorter and completly curved in a U. So, mine is installed going into the reservior on a strait section.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll hit this PS filter with the IR thermometer, just for some data. I use that IR thermo a lot. A nice toy for $20 at Harbour Freight. I'll hit the oem ATF filter with it too.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
Oh, I see "tranny fluid". I was reading too fast.

Maybe if you were shure to hit the return-from-cooler line where temps will be lower.

In my app, the reservior-out line would the coolest and prefered, but that hose is fatter and shorter and completly curved in a U. So, mine is installed going into the reservior on a strait section.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'll hit this PS filter with the IR thermometer, just for some data. I use that IR thermo a lot. A nice toy for $20 at Harbour Freight. I'll hit the oem ATF filter with it too.

I would keep a spare hose joiner, screw-driver and some PSF in your cars trunk in case that thing blows off the line in the next little while while you are testing the idea and you are away from home.

Let us know how it turns out after a few miles... (with pics) Very interesting!
thumbsup2.gif

filter002.jpg

1986 called, it wants its keyboard back.

...Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually have the same keyboard (or very similar to it) hooked up to my computer at home. I've got a bunch of USB and wireless keyboards, but for some reason that's the one that keeps finding its way back to the system

Yeah, that's the beater computer. The keyboard has the Caps Lock deleted feature, so does my Dell. iirc, that's an even older keyboard mated with a used computer. It outlived several CPUs.

Originally Posted By: StevieC

I would keep a spare hose joiner, screw-driver and some PSF in your cars trunk in case that thing blows off the line in the next little while while you are testing the idea and you are away from home.

Let us know how it turns out after a few miles... (with pics) Very interesting!
thumbsup2.gif

Will do. I stress tested the connections already though. s.o.p.

I have the same keyboard hooked up to my current desktop PC. It was from my 386 back in the day and has the old DIN style connector to which I had to buy a PS/2 converter for. It makes my new computer look really stupid, but it's one of the most comfortable keyboards I have ever typed on and that's why I keep it.

It also ways a ton too... It has a metal back to it!
grin2.gif

I'd be concerned about lack of flow through that very fine filter media in cold weather in addition to the ability of the plastic to live a long time when hot. The Magnefine has an internal bypass in case of high differential pressure in addition to the magnet and filter element.

You can't really tell in the pics, but the body is good poly carbon. I don't think the fluid temps are too crazy, but it's a legit question. It's easy to keep an eye on the thing. I'm not worried...

PC can withstand up to about 300F before it gets soft (Tg for the engineers) so it should work fine.

Interesting idea. Very cost effective if it works. Do you know anything about the filtering efficiency and flow rate of the filter? If it's a Wix built unit, you should be able to look it up. Keep us posted! You may have started a new trend.

What year/model Honda?

I have a MF in hand ready to install in my '00 Accord PS system. I'll still do that, but if your idea works over the long term, I may switch.

PS: The Magnefine was tested to 600 degrees

The lack of bypass would be a big concern for me. But, when it was -20F this past winter I went out and shook a bottle of ATF that was stored outside, and it sloshed around very easily.

I used almost the same filter on my cooling system, O'Reillys house brand. The heat does make the plastic a bit flexiable but over 4k hasn't broke yet. The one you got may have thicker plastic. I used a Wix filter, similiar to magnefine, on the ps system.

20 Micron nomimal filtration

PN 3033 if you want metal instead of plastic.

Should last a lifetime. If you load up a filter in the PSF or ATF system, you have bigger problems. Probably good to change out every couple years or 30k just to reduce 'stress' failure.

Plastic? what pressure will it burst at room temp? what pressure will it burst at 200F?

I put one on the CRV today. $4 and it's not a piece of junk. Seems like one of the best values I've seen.

I did a zero loss install this time, but lost about a 1/2 reservior of fluid into the filter, adding about 6oz of capacity. Topped it off w/a bottle of RP someone gave me.

filter2004.jpg

filter2006.jpg

Someone said they wanted to see a pic of the Accord one full...

filter2007.jpg

I figure maybe the fluid starts out thick, but the engine also starts slowly and the PSF should start to flow better quickly.

The element is pretty good size, as seen compared to the reservior.

Still, if someone could look up the flow and tell me what they think.

Dang, for a buck more the metal casing is a no brainer (p/n 3033 vs 3003). After 50K on the magnefine, maybe this will be the replacement on the Prizm PS system. Good find.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back