Nancy Reagan dead at 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
By CNN Staff, Monte Plott and Todd Leopold, CNN
Updated 12:27 PM ET, Sun March 6, 2016 | Video Source: CNN

(CNN)Former first lady Nancy Reagan, who joined her husband on a storybook journey from Hollywood to the White House, died Sunday.

She was 94.

Reagan died at her home in Los Angeles of congestive heart failure, according to her spokeswoman, Joanne Drake, of the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library.

"Mrs. Reagan will be buried at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California, next to her husband, Ronald Wilson Reagan, who died on June 5, 2004. Prior to the funeral service, there will be an opportunity for members of the public to pay their respects at the Library," Drake said in a statement.

The former first lady requested that contributions be made to the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library and Foundation in lieu of flowers, the statement said.

Republican party leaders paid tribute Sunday.

"With the passing of Nancy Reagan, we say a final goodbye to the days of Ronald Reagan," wrote 2012 GOP presidential nominee Mitt Romney on Facebook. "With charm, grace, and a passion for America, this couple reminded us of the greatness and the endurance of the American experiment. ... God and Ronnie have finally welcomed a choice soul home."

As first lady during Ronald Reagan's eight years in the White House, she was known as the "Just say no" spokeswoman of anti-drug campaigns, and as a fierce protector of her husband, both personally and politically. When Ronald Reagan was shot in a 1981 assassination attempt, Nancy Reagan never left the hospital where the president was treated until he was released, according to Nancy Reagan's press secretary, Sheila Tate.

After she and her husband left Washington, she became his protector again as he struggled with Alzheimer's disease until his death in 2004. After his death, she remained a staunch guardian of his image and legacy.

"She was always the one who kept the flame alive," CNN senior political analyst David Gergen, a former Reagan adviser, said Sunday.

Her official White House biography quotes her as saying, "My life really began when I married my husband."

The second Mrs. Ronald Reagan. I believe Jane Wyman was the first wife of the "Gipper." The country could use another Ronald Reagan right now.

RIP Nancy Reagan. IMO Ronald Reagan was the best President of my lifetime, and she was the best first lady.

How this is not political and me asking about the history of wrestling, is? It's disgraceful.

Last edited:
Her husband was the best president in my lifetime but her "JUST SAY NO" junk I put up with in school was a joke.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
RIP Nancy Reagan. IMO Ronald Reagan was the best President of my lifetime, and she was the best first lady.

+1 So we have seen the best and the worst. RIP Mrs Reagan.

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
How this is not political and me asking about the history of wrestling, is? It's disgraceful.

This topic isn't "political"... yet.

She was never elected to office.

However, someone will eventually make a comment that WILL make it political, and then it will be different. Give it time.

Right now, it is about the death of a former first lady. But, that will likely change.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Her husband was the best president in my lifetime but her "JUST SAY NO" junk I put up with in school was a joke.

It wasn't any kind of a joke. It was a decent campaign of at least trying a simple slogan, as well as an ample anti-drug program, to try to keep younger kids from trying illegal drugs. But if you are talking about high school age kids....nothing you can say in the history of mankind can change a teenager bent on self destruction and rebellion.

A truly great First Lady and from all I've read, a highly loving and supportive wife.

She always stood by President Reagan and dealt with the Alzheimer's with courage.

It would be nice to see somebody of her character as First Lady again.

I lived through the "President's Council on Physical Fitness" and "Just Say No".

Being fit and healthy and drug free are, obviously, common sense goals.

My gripe with campaigns such as these is that "poor overworked teachers" were given no scripts or intelligence so they just railed like banshees on the topic.

They felt very unplanned in the implementation department.

It doesn't matter whether you praise or mock any president or First Lady.

She was one of the better first ladies in the history of the young republic. She has the admiration of millions around the world.

Rest in peace.

Its just too bad that her health steadily declined since Ronald Reagans death...but she is at peace now with one of the most inspirational men/Presidents ever...she is in a better place now.We will never forget either of them.

It takes a lot out of anyone to have a loved one with Alzheimers and moreso for her, publicly accepting awards and giving speaches WRT Pres. Reagan's legacy.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
She was one of the better first ladies in the history of the young republic. She has the admiration of millions around the world.

Rest in peace.

thumbsup2.gif

She definately outclassed all of the prior first Ladies and those since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back